“Surprisingly good Laotian and Thai cuisine in Edmonton's Chinatown”

Boualouang Laos & Thai Cuisine
Ranked #56 of 2,661 Restaurants in Edmonton
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: McCauley
Reviewed August 29, 2018

They served the best green curry chicken I have ever had. The spices were well balanced and we asked the chef not to make it too spicy. The lime leaves in the sauce added a special touch. The stir fried "drunken" noodles (looks like the Cantonese broad rice noodles) were delicately spiced to make the dish interesting and not overpowered with hot chili sauce. The portions were quite substantial --- our "packed home" was good for another 2 meals for our hosts. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 2, 2018

This is one of my go-to places when I'm craving Thai food. Their coconut rice is very lovely - not too sweet, not too sticky! The green curry and red curry are equally satisfying. I've tried many of the meat and seafood dishes - they've all been wonderful. I would have no hesitation taking friends or family to this restaurant for a satisfying and delicious meal. Best of all, I've never left hungry!

Reviewed April 24, 2018 via mobile

Small place with amazing food. We are regulars and each visit it is always the same excellent the sauce in the green curry with fish is tasty. Their spring rolls are packed with chicken and shrimp. Red curry with bamboo amazing. You won't be disappointed. No credit cards . Great value for your money.

Reviewed April 14, 2018

I lived in Thailand for several years. I am now back in Canada and long for good Thai food and I found it at Boualouang.

Their Som Tam (Papaya Salad), Green Curry, Coconut Rice and stir-fry with a name I can't recall were all winners.

The Som Tam tasted just like the best street food in Chiang Mai or Bangkok. The Papaya was julienned the correct way too. Some Thai restaurants in Canada julienne the green papaya into rectangular strips which is not the right shape and effects the texture of the salad. Boualouang is liberal with their peanuts which I like.

Despite not being 100% Thai, but a Loas fusion. They had memorable food and I look forward to visiting again next time I am in Edmonton. 3 Thumbs up!

The only thing I found odd, the waitress didn't know what a Som Tam was (a green papaya salad). In my mind, that's as common a Thai food as a Pad Thai.

Reviewed March 29, 2018

The flavor was very decent, but the portion was smaller than normal restaurants. Their service was not good, some servers couldn't understand English properly.