“Authentic Jamaican food at it's best”
Review of Irie Foods

Irie Foods
Ranked #854 of 2,424 Restaurants in Edmonton
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Saskatchewan
“Authentic Jamaican food at it's best”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Irie Foods. Started off with the deep fried broccoli and pepper shrimp. Delish! The pepper shrimp was spicy and delicious. Red Stripe beer was good n cold. Chicken soup was absolutely tasteful and our jerk chicken and pork was scrumptous! Will be boasting about this place to all my friends and family and can't wait to go back! Service was top notch as well. A+++++++

• Visited January 2012

Edmonton, Canada
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Based on reviews from here and other sites, we thought this would be a good spot. We were wrong. My salad was 2 cups of chopped romaine with slivers of carrott and Kraft raspberry vinagrette (the waitress actually said that is what it was). The soup was bland and the chicken bones small and sharp - very dangerous. My veggie roti was sweet and rich but lacked any spice at all and my roti was cold. My husbands jerk chicken was tender, but really not spicy at all. Having spent months living in the caribbean, this was more like street takeaway than a real restaurant. Oh yes, and service was mediocre. What a disappointment.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank TravelFamily2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Great no frills Caribbean Food”
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Went with my brother and we both had the Jerk Chicken - it was amazing, really good! The entree was $16 each, came with a salad to start, then the entree came with vegetables, rice and beans and the chicken. Atmosphere is clean and simple, focus is on the food and service and they were both outstanding. I'll be back again for sure.

• Visited April 2011
Seattle, Washington
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 17 March 2011

While living in Edmonton I found this place just out of sheer luck. It's in a small plaza in Mill Woods off the beaten path for most people.

Food: While a touch expensive, Ms P explained it was due to the high cost of getting ingredients to make Jerk Chicken, etc in Western Canada. A small dinner is around $11.99 but well worth it. Wednesday is Jerk Chicken Wednesday and a small plate is $7.99 but large enough to feed a guy. I've had most of the menu in this place and all of it is hand made & it's good, even if it's a bit more expensive than a typical fast food style place.

The place isn't much to see, but the staff is great & they remember you by name. I'd drive out of my way to go to this place.

• Visited December 2010
Victoria, Canada
“Try it! Bring friends!”
Reviewed 1 December 2010

The food was delicious. Try the deep fried broccoli. Sounds gross but tastes amazing!

We sampled jerk chicken, curried goat, and the soup. All were great, no complaints.

The service was very friendly and courteous. She was very helpful with her recommendations.

We didn't try any authentic Jamaican drinks but there were a few on the menu and some had pictures, they looked great.

There was really nothing special about the decor. It didn't really remind us of Jamaica or anything. Not that is was bad, it was just unremarkable.

Unfortunately we've tried to go back twice with friends and both times they were closed. It wasn't at odd hours, it was around dinner time on a Sunday and again on a Tuesday. My advice would be to just check the hours before you go as they seem a bit off from the norm.

1 Thank StayFitLiveBetter