“Nice quiet and clean”

Merit Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Reviewed 4 December 2011

The hotel was very nice, I got a great room! Room was very very clean!
I think my room was renovated - looked new!
Seby was great at the front desk along with the other folks who helped me during my stay.
Pool was closed - but looked nice.
Thanks!
Restaurant attached didn't try as I waited at the front but no one ever came to seat me, so I just left.
Christmas decorations were nice in the lobby.

Room Tip: 306 was good....
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bjtell
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Thank you for your comments. I deeply apologise for your experience at our restaurant, and would like to assure you that we are working with the owners of the restaurant to ensure this is investigated and to ensure this does not happen again.

Our Housekeeping staff are very proud of the work they do, and it shows!

Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing you here again soon!

Reviewed 4 December 2011

After staying in many different hotels in the area, we found this one and found it the most pleasant one.
Special Thanks to:
Ayoba Ka
Vidhya Seby

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank AxelArenas

Thank you! You have definitely put a smile on the face of our staff here!

Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Mark Perry - General Manager

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I would like to bring to attention the good quality of service we received from ''Seby'' and others. Seby been a good listener for our need, provided good answering with proper decisional limitation. Her friendly smile and attitude brought me to write down this essays because off some talk between my company and partner here at this spare laps moment of my week. If it wasn't of the hot tub closure and lack of washing and drying machine my sejour in thin hotel would have been perfect.
Overall her professionnalisme would be improved with less decisional restriction from above.
André room #103

Room Tip: Kitchenette are decent with convectional stove and mini fridge but lack of oven
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Andre N
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Thank you very much for your comments! We are always working to improve, and we are so glad that Seby made such an impact on your stay.

She was very happy to recieve these comments, and we are vey proud to have her as one of the newest additions to our team here.

See you again soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2011

The staff are good, friendly and helpful - the rooms are ok and resonably clean but aged and worn. The cafe is very old truck stop type of food. I have the misfortune to have the fish n'chips....sooooo much grease that I had to sponge it off, the McCains chips were at lease a day old. I ate there the next day as we had a breakfast meeting. Let me assure you that the orders were mixed up .... and the eggs were cooked in the same greese as fish from the night before. On a better note.... the wine glass was clear...better than the water glass. So as a fair acessment the hotel is ok...stay away from their cafe....

Room Tip: I am now using the Sawridge for both food and stay, The Raddison for stay, and will be trying the No...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is this feedback that helps us to improve, and that is constantly our goal.

I am happy to inform you that our re-vamp of our Hotel Wing is well underway, and by mid-January we expect all the Corridor Carpeting, in-room bedding, and a few other small touches to be completely replaced.

We won't be stopping there, as we aim to ensure our rooms continue to be the primier rooms and suites in Fort McMurray.

I sincerely apologise for your experience in the Pantry Restaurant, and have passed your feedback and comments onto their Owners and Management. I know they are very eager to hear from all their customers, and aim to be constantly improving their product and service as well.

If there is anything else I can do to assist you during any of your stays in Fort McMurray, please do no hesitate to ask.

Mark Perry - General Manager

Tip - if Food & Beverage is an important component of your Hotel stay, the Nomad Hotel has the only Keg in town, as well as a great Pub downstairs and a very nice Cafe on the Main level!

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Merit is a very good choice for business travel to Fort McMurray. I stay one night a week and have never had a bad experience. Any issues that arise are handled very well by the staff, be it a room change if too much noise from Franklin Ave or accommodating my room area requests (see below). Have never had any problems with room quality or cleanliness.

Hotel is away from other downtown craziness, and does not have as many work crews staying together causing problems. In house restaurant/bar is quite good, but any other restaurants would require a fair walk or taxi. Pool is smaller but a normal & decent size for a hotel that you can actually do laps. Has a functional business center but good wireless in the rooms.

Hotel also has extended stay suites that are very nice, but costly unless you are on business. (not sure how cost of extended stay suites compare to other hotels in Fort Mac).

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with odd numbers in the 19-27 range (200's, 300's, 400's). Positive numbe...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Rob M
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Thank you very much for your comments!

We are of course always thrilled to see that our hard work pays off, and thank you for taking the time to let us know when it does.

This is a great tip to future travellers, and we are more than happy to accomodate these requests whenever we are able.

Our Kitchenette Suites are a $20 upgrade from our Business Suites, and are all located away from Franklin Avenue and the Catering Facilities, so a great suite to book if this location in the hotel is a must. They also all include brand new 40" Flat Screen TV's, Kitchenette Area with all dishware, cutlery and cooking utensils you need!

Thank you again for your review, I hope I was able to provide the information you were looking for as well,

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 3 November 2011

We chose the Merit Hotel based on previous reviews. We found the front desk staff exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, modern and best of all, there was no noise from other rooms. While Fort McMurray hotels have a 'captive audience', that hasn't stopped the staff at the Merit-from the very visible manager (Mark) and guest service supervisor (Ayoba) from treating their guests with courtesy and concern. Really felt at home and well taken care of while we were there. There were a few problems with the internet but a solution was found for our needs. The lobby floors were constantly being cleaned , which is necessary in Fort McMurray with all the dirt and dust and just one of the many examples of the pride the staff takes in how their hotel looks and runs.The convenience of a fridge /microwave and small kitchen in the extended stay suites is great.We would definitely make the Merit our home away from home for all future travel to Fort McMurray.
Two very satisfied customers.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank joellenbbr

Thank you very much for your review!

We are very proud of the changes we have been making, and are glad that they are able to make this kind of impact on our Guest's experiences here.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Recently was in Fort McMurray, AB on business (September 26 - 28) and stayed at the Merit Hotel.

I normally stay at the Saw Ridge Hotel (because I was told by one colleague it was the best hotel in Fort McMurray by far) until another colleague told me to try the Merit Hotel.

I found the Merit Hotel to be an exceptional hotel. It was clean and had a modern look and feel. The staff were extremely courteous and friendly and the pub and restaurant serve great food. The added bonus is the Merit is located in the lower town site, not up the highway.

I look forward to staying at the Merit Hotel whenever possible while visiting Fort McMurray.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank The_FM_Traveller
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

Thank you very much for your review! We love to hear stories of our success, and you can be assured that your feedback has been shared with our staff.

We all look forward to your next visit!