All reviews lasagna cinnamon buns wood stove horse trip bucket list wilderness experience grizzly bear home baked bread mid september amazing scenery no electricity once in a lifetime day hike hot shower our night stay sara horseback
Reviewed March 12, 2016 via mobile

It's been just over a week now since visiting Tonquin Valley Backcountry Lodge with my sister and cousin and I'm doing everything I can to convince my husband that we need to return soon! The lodge and ladies specializing in feeding, lodging, advising and listening to us are beyond imagination for comfort, and care in a backcountry environment. I have never experienced such luxury for so reasonable a price in one of the world's most beautiful places. I left feeling renewed and humbled by the magic in the valley. Thank you for the most amazing experience. I hope to return someday soon!

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2015

We loved our four night stay at the lodge. The Tonquin Valley is the most beautiful place, and I feel so lucky to have been able to spend several days in it. Our time at the lodge was by far the best part of our two week trip to the Canadian Rockies. We also loved getting to know the other guests, most of whom were from Jasper.

We hiked in and had the pack horses carry our bag. Though the hike is long, it was less challenging than I expected. It was a pretty gradual ascent for the first half with a few steeper kilometers and then a gradual descent for the second half. It took us six hours on the way in (including a quick lunch) and about five hours on the way out. The hike to the lodge had wonderful scenery -- most of it is along creeks, plus there were great views of the mountains and valleys. There are many great day hikes of different lengths once you're at the lodge. All of the staff was super friendly and helpful with choosing day hikes.

The food at every meal (including fresh baked bread) was delicious, especially considering our remote location. The seemingly unlimited coffee was great too. It was also nice being able to take a quick, hot shower, and our cabin was cozy and warm without ever using the wood stove. There were gorgeous views of the lake and the ramparts from every part of the lodge.

We used bug spray in the evenings and I wound up with only a few mosquito bites over five days. The cabins have electric lanterns, but we were glad to each have a headlamp for going outside at night.

I highly recommend going, and staying as long as you can!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2015

Tonquin Valley is spectacular. A 20Km + hike over Mcarrib Pass climbs up and down and up again. You have climbed 2500ft before you begin the descent into the valley. Parts of the trail cross wetlands and the trail can be very muddy. The Lodge sits in a beautiful spot beside Amythest Lake. The cabins are small and cosy with pine log bunk beds, 2 small tables and a stove which is very efficient in heating the room and can also be used for heating water for washing - otherwise you have to walk to the cookhouse for hot water. There is an outdoor shower with hot and cold water. While bedding is provided you are expected to bring your own towels. Bring warm clothes for the evening, good hiking boots, gaiters for the marshy areas, a mosquito top would be useful and lots of insect repellent.
The are canoes and dinghys available if you feel like a lpaddle on the lake.
The food is homemade from scratch - including the bread. Cooked breakfasts started the day, a packed lunch is provided and dinner is meat, a salad and vegetables with a baked cake type dessert. Coffee and tea, lemonade and cookies are laid out in the afternoon..Lunches were monotonous - we had 4 days of ham ad cheese filled buns. Do not expect gourmet cooking just basic home cooked meals in generous quantities. This is a place to go for a back country wilderness experience and many foreigners find there way there. We had fellow gusts from the UK, Holland, New Zealand and a party from Belguim were arriving as we left.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank eaglebudd2
Reviewed August 12, 2015 via mobile

My husband & I hiked in for a 3 night stay in late July - it was a definite highlight of our 2 week holiday!

The hike in (over maccarib pass) is just gorgeous and not nearly as hard as we were expecting... The cabins are basic but cosy (once we sussed out the stoves) and the cook house is lovely, warm & welcoming. Sarah is so welcoming and she and Heidi make the best food and were great about vegetarian recipes too!

The tonquin valley & amethyst lake are just stunning and our day spent lazily canoeing around it (with noone in sight other than a bald Eagle & a caribou) was wonderful.

Yes it was buggy, and the ground muddy, and it rained a bit and was cold at night, but it only seemed to add to the majesty of the place... Go!

Tips: wear gaiters & hiking boots. Trainers will not cut it! Take a warm jacket and waterproofs & bug jacket/hood. I would not want to camp in the valley (too buggy, muddy, cold, wet) but staying in the lodge was brilliant! Go.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2015

My 13 year old daughter and i went looking for a horseback-centric excursion... and we found it in their 4-day trip to Tonquin Valley! Kable and Sara (and staff) run a tight ship. They are focused on service, while in a rustic environment. I am not easily impressed when i travel, but they hit the mark! The cabins are very clean, with fresh linens. They cook fresh breakfast and dinners each day, and give you a sack lunch each day if you want to go hiking, or fishing, or more horseback riding. The grounds are beautiful, and the staff are the very friendly and focused on making your vacation top notch.

Date of stay: July 2015