All reviewswood panelingboothbay harborpaper thin wallssouthport islanddifferent buildingsprivate balconiesin seasonwatching the lobster boatsbagelslabor dayoutdoor poolfront porchswing bridgecontinental breakfastwaterfront buildingbeautiful viewdock
Reviewed November 28, 2016

We have been coming for several years and always want to stay longer when it is time to leave. We really enjoy the private balcony to sit and watch the lobster boats and the tide come in and go back out. The Robinson's Wharf is a short walk away, it has a restaurant, lounge and a fish market and will cook orders to go. One tradition we have is to order lobster cooked and enjoy it with cheese, crackers & champagne by candlelight on our balcony as it gets dark. That is my idea of winding down and really relaxing on my vacation in God's Country. You can fish from their pier, they do have public wifi on the office & deck if you need to do a quick something on the computer. Rooms are spacious with high ceilings, even has a tv if you need that. I have stayed in all their sections, my favourate is upstairs in the near East building. They also have a large function room where you can get coffee & muffins perched high up with a fantastic view of the water and islands. The owners are super friendly as well as their help. I have always had a pleasant experience and would recommend it highly ( but hope not too many people find out about it) because I want to always be able to come back again and be able to get a room at a great price. Their very reasonable prices are the major reason I am even able to come here on vacation. The location is on an island a little bit off the well beaten path. Wouldnt suit everyone but that is exactly what I look for when I go away. It is perfect for me..... I give it a 5 ++++++

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hhughen
Reviewed October 10, 2016 via mobile

Ships Ahoy Motel

I had called a few days in advance to make a reservation, I asked the lady on the phone if she wanted my credit card over the phone, no, “I’ll take it upon arrival,” she asked for the reservation name, I provided my husbands first and last name and my cellular number.

On 9 October 2016, we arrived at South Port, “Ships Ahoy Motel” the lobby was old and smelled stale, the older lady on the front desk informed us that we had no reservation under our name and asked if I had prepaid our deposit, “No, I'd never been requested to mail a deposit,” the lady attempted to “School” me…first, I'd asked about the deposit in advance. She then said we didn't have a reservation, she had only written in my husbands first name, so there was a reservation. We came during “Off Season” so the rates that were $79 were now $59, Way too much Money! She handed us a door key, no key ring.

Let me first begin, they have four motels on the grounds, so not sure which unit we were in. 1st Floor, Room 72, the room itself appeared fairly clean, however, mold up the bathroom door molding and obvious water damage on the bottom of the door. Wall paper was a gold print from the late 60s, mattresses purchased in that same era, pillows flat, no comfort, nor support, unable to fluff! Screens in the bathroom window were filthy, the drapes over the sliding door had dead bug guts smeared up near the rod, even though you'd need to be creative to come in the balcony, the sliding door had no lock. The television was this old huge set, fuzzy…when the people upstairs walked about, the room shook. No coffee in the room, no mini refrigerator, no microwave, and no WIFI, you had to go to the motel office and sit to use it or sit on her front porch. The only thing the room had going for it was the view of the ocean water was beautiful. We were tempted to sleep in the car! Never Ever will we Ever stay at Ships Ahoy ever again! Minus Five Stars for the room and a crabby old woman on the desk!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Corbinmt
Reviewed September 30, 2016

We have been coming to Ship Ahoy for 5 years and love it. Parents came to Ship Ahoy for 20 years and are the reason we first came. Room is ideal. Clean and airy. Well located close to the water. View is unmatched. Owners of Ship Ahoy are super people who are glad to see you each year. Motel is close to BoothBay Harbor eliminating travel time. Motel housekeeper, Brenda, treats you like a long lost friend and a real joy to talk to. Fishing is good unless the harbor seals show up. The fish population disappears for good reason. Best location in the nation. Planning to return each year. Bring a coffee maker and avoid the walk. Make your own and sit on the balcony enjoying the view. See you there next year.

Room Tip: Try for the 2nd floor in either of the buildings closest to the water.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank F6334VNpatriciab
Reviewed September 29, 2016

A clean, basic room.Very friendly staff. It was a quiet location. You go there for the view, not the amenities. Enjoy some carry out on the balcony and relax. A great value, that i like to think attracts like minded visitors.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed September 25, 2016 via mobile

I have stayed at the Ship Ahoy on 4 visits to Booth Bay. Its a short drive into town. As you wait for the old swing bridge to go through the motions of letting the sailboats pass, you have a few minutes to admire the gorgeous homes along the banks. The hotel is old and has nothing special except the views. Plain old wood paneling, old furniture and old tile in the bathrooms and Jaoulousy doors, but it is clean. There is an old part and a new part to the motel. I have always stayed at the old part because i like it. I like to spend my money on food and other things besides a fancy place to sleep. You send them a check for a deposit, they send you a postcard confirmation. Very personal.
I will always stay there, unless I win the lottery or find Mr. Right!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends