All reviews boothbay harbor wood paneling southport island paper thin walls different buildings in season private balconies watching the lobster boats bagels labor day windjammer days outdoor pool swing bridge front porch wonderful view stayed nights continental breakfast
Reviewed June 19, 2017

Like everyone say, this is a no frills motel. Fifties style décor but if you want a clean room with a great location, THIS IS THE PLACE!!! For all the others who need breakfast, hairdryers, HBO and room service, go elsewhere. This is for the family, couple or individual that has to stay on a budget but would love to have a bayside motel. This place is great! There is free WI-FI but you only get reception in the office. It does have an outdoor pool and there is a restaurant that is only open in the morning that sells everything for a dollar that has muffins, donuts and coffee. They may have other items but we didn't eat there as the day we left was the first day they opened for the season. There is a dock you can walk out on and occasionally see seals or a ferret. We have also spotted Osprey, Eider Ducks, Mallards, and different types of gulls. It's away from the busy streets of Boothbay Harbor but less than 10 minutes away. There are 3 different buildings to choose from. The cheapest is the main motel building that offers rooms for $39 a night off season and $49 in season. Don't blink! You read that right! Those rooms are a bit smaller and they share a front porch. The other buildings are by the water and have bay views for watching the lobster boats come and collect their lobster traps as well as private balconies. They go for $59 a night out of season till July 1st then go up to $79 a night for the in season until Labor Day. Yep! You can really go on vacation and still stay on a budget easily!!! Like I said this may not be for everyone but we are so thankful that this place has been here providing affordable vacations for vacationers and their families. Thank you Ship Ahoy!!! The building closest to the water has views of the harbor and dock and the building that sits back a bit still has wonderful harbor views and the rooms are slightly larger with 2 sinks for inside/outside bathroom use. The shower has such forceful pressure that it feels like a water message. In order to get to Southport you travel over a rare swinging bridge that swings sideways to allow ships to enter Boothbay every Hour. Also we love to drive over to the Southport General Store for affordable breakfasts and sandwiches that you can take out or eat in their small cozy eating nook. We love it here and hope that if you give it a try that it will be one of your best vacations ever! While at the General Store you will see a small street sign that says Beach. Follow that road to a free, small sandy beach where you can see the Hendrick's Hill lighthouse. Quaint and pretty!

Date of stay: June 2017
4  Thank gogranny60
Reviewed March 19, 2017

The Ship Ahoy Motel isn't fancy - the rooms are basic, the grounds aren't photogenic, and to make a reservation you have to mail them a check. But if you're looking for a reasonably priced place to stay on Southport Island then this is just about your best option. Close to everything you want, at half the price of your other options.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank sputnik1784
Reviewed November 28, 2016

We have been coming for several years and always want to stay longer when it is time to leave. We really enjoy the private balcony to sit and watch the lobster boats and the tide come in and go back out. The Robinson's Wharf is a short walk away, it has a restaurant, lounge and a fish market and will cook orders to go. One tradition we have is to order lobster cooked and enjoy it with cheese, crackers & champagne by candlelight on our balcony as it gets dark. That is my idea of winding down and really relaxing on my vacation in God's Country. You can fish from their pier, they do have public wifi on the office & deck if you need to do a quick something on the computer. Rooms are spacious with high ceilings, even has a tv if you need that. I have stayed in all their sections, my favourate is upstairs in the near East building. They also have a large function room where you can get coffee & muffins perched high up with a fantastic view of the water and islands. The owners are super friendly as well as their help. I have always had a pleasant experience and would recommend it highly ( but hope not too many people find out about it) because I want to always be able to come back again and be able to get a room at a great price. Their very reasonable prices are the major reason I am even able to come here on vacation. The location is on an island a little bit off the well beaten path. Wouldnt suit everyone but that is exactly what I look for when I go away. It is perfect for me..... I give it a 5 ++++++

Date of stay: October 2016
6  Thank hhughen
Reviewed October 10, 2016 via mobile

Ships Ahoy Motel

I had called a few days in advance to make a reservation, I asked the lady on the phone if she wanted my credit card over the phone, no, “I’ll take it upon arrival,” she asked for the reservation name, I provided my husbands first and last name and my cellular number.

On 9 October 2016, we arrived at South Port, “Ships Ahoy Motel” the lobby was old and smelled stale, the older lady on the front desk informed us that we had no reservation under our name and asked if I had prepaid our deposit, “No, I'd never been requested to mail a deposit,” the lady attempted to “School” me…first, I'd asked about the deposit in advance. She then said we didn't have a reservation, she had only written in my husbands first name, so there was a reservation. We came during “Off Season” so the rates that were $79 were now $59, Way too much Money! She handed us a door key, no key ring.

Let me first begin, they have four motels on the grounds, so not sure which unit we were in. 1st Floor, Room 72, the room itself appeared fairly clean, however, mold up the bathroom door molding and obvious water damage on the bottom of the door. Wall paper was a gold print from the late 60s, mattresses purchased in that same era, pillows flat, no comfort, nor support, unable to fluff! Screens in the bathroom window were filthy, the drapes over the sliding door had dead bug guts smeared up near the rod, even though you'd need to be creative to come in the balcony, the sliding door had no lock. The television was this old huge set, fuzzy…when the people upstairs walked about, the room shook. No coffee in the room, no mini refrigerator, no microwave, and no WIFI, you had to go to the motel office and sit to use it or sit on her front porch. The only thing the room had going for it was the view of the ocean water was beautiful. We were tempted to sleep in the car! Never Ever will we Ever stay at Ships Ahoy ever again! Minus Five Stars for the room and a crabby old woman on the desk!

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Corbinmt
Reviewed September 30, 2016

We have been coming to Ship Ahoy for 5 years and love it. Parents came to Ship Ahoy for 20 years and are the reason we first came. Room is ideal. Clean and airy. Well located close to the water. View is unmatched. Owners of Ship Ahoy are super people who are glad to see you each year. Motel is close to BoothBay Harbor eliminating travel time. Motel housekeeper, Brenda, treats you like a long lost friend and a real joy to talk to. Fishing is good unless the harbor seals show up. The fish population disappears for good reason. Best location in the nation. Planning to return each year. Bring a coffee maker and avoid the walk. Make your own and sit on the balcony enjoying the view. See you there next year.

Room tip: Try for the 2nd floor in either of the buildings closest to the water.
Date of stay: August 2016