All reviews boothbay harbor wood paneling southport island paper thin walls different buildings in season private balconies watching the lobster boats bagels labor day windjammer days outdoor pool swing bridge front porch wonderful view stayed nights continental breakfast
Reviewed July 8, 2017

I read the reviews before I booked a nights lodging. Yes, you do have to print a form and mail a check, so what? Being a senior citizen I found this place to be familiar, they have not changed it, is original old time. There is wood paneling, and an older TV, no modern conveniences as a micro/refrig coffee maker or hair dryer. I can only speak about my room, a handicap accessible room in the waterfront building. It was CLEAN, spacious and had a very accessible bathroom. I have spent twice as much in popular hotel chains to not have the room accessible. I could tell they are working on some upgrades, new planks on the walkways etc. The mattress could use an upgrade, not sure about the other rooms. I was shocked not to have wifi available in the room, but getting "unplugged" and enjoying nature is good for all of us. To be close to the water, smell it, hear it, see it is really all you need. It provides a private patio to get connected to nature and let your troubles slip away. It depends on personal preferences and tolerance levels, but to me this was like going back in time to a simpler place. We should not forget what life used to be like.

Date of stay: July 2017
3  Thank AnnieD39
Reviewed June 24, 2017 via mobile

You will read reviews good and bad about Ship Ahoy. First of all you will not find cockroaches, rats or bugs. The place has age but is kept clean and neat. It is a very simple Motel, rooms are dated, yes. Televisions are old but being changed out but don't expect a large screen or crisp clear channels. Reservations will be your first clue, you have to either phone in or mail the form with deposit to them.

Ok so you've stuck with me this far so I'll tell you the secret, this place is just wonderful! You're thinking "I've read some reviews and the place doesn't sound wonderful".
The views will just message the stress out of you! The dated CLEAN simple room will offer you a dated, CLEAN bathroom with an excellent shower but the treat is to walk through to the other side of the room to the cozy little balcony with the incredible views. You can also walk over to the the ramp/gang plank down to the water to the float or dock. Throw a line in, catch some Maine Mackerel or Stripe Bass or sit on the old benches there and watch for the seals to come by. We saw an Osprey coming back with a fish in it's talons only to be attacked by a huge Bald Eagle for the fish soon another Osprey joined the first one to try to reclaim the prize. It was just amazing to watch!

I could go on but in the end Ship Ahoy is a very affordable place to relax and enjoy the best of Maine's coastal experience and nature. Plain and simple.
Boothbay Harbor is a few miles away if you need that tourist experience, but the Oasis will be waiting for when you've had enough and want to relax!

Yes it is NOT for those who need 100 channels to watch on a big screen or fluffy bed and bedding or granite/marble top vanity. Or don't want to interact with other guests and develop new connections. But it is a diamond in the rough! Stay away the rest of us love it!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
9  Thank welcomescorner
Reviewed June 19, 2017

Like everyone say, this is a no frills motel. Fifties style décor but if you want a clean room with a great location, THIS IS THE PLACE!!! For all the others who need breakfast, hairdryers, HBO and room service, go elsewhere. This is for the family, couple or individual that has to stay on a budget but would love to have a bayside motel. This place is great! There is free WI-FI but you only get reception in the office. It does have an outdoor pool and there is a restaurant that is only open in the morning that sells everything for a dollar that has muffins, donuts and coffee. They may have other items but we didn't eat there as the day we left was the first day they opened for the season. There is a dock you can walk out on and occasionally see seals or a ferret. We have also spotted Osprey, Eider Ducks, Mallards, and different types of gulls. It's away from the busy streets of Boothbay Harbor but less than 10 minutes away. There are 3 different buildings to choose from. The cheapest is the main motel building that offers rooms for $39 a night off season and $49 in season. Don't blink! You read that right! Those rooms are a bit smaller and they share a front porch. The other buildings are by the water and have bay views for watching the lobster boats come and collect their lobster traps as well as private balconies. They go for $59 a night out of season till July 1st then go up to $79 a night for the in season until Labor Day. Yep! You can really go on vacation and still stay on a budget easily!!! Like I said this may not be for everyone but we are so thankful that this place has been here providing affordable vacations for vacationers and their families. Thank you Ship Ahoy!!! The building closest to the water has views of the harbor and dock and the building that sits back a bit still has wonderful harbor views and the rooms are slightly larger with 2 sinks for inside/outside bathroom use. The shower has such forceful pressure that it feels like a water message. In order to get to Southport you travel over a rare swinging bridge that swings sideways to allow ships to enter Boothbay every Hour. Also we love to drive over to the Southport General Store for affordable breakfasts and sandwiches that you can take out or eat in their small cozy eating nook. We love it here and hope that if you give it a try that it will be one of your best vacations ever! While at the General Store you will see a small street sign that says Beach. Follow that road to a free, small sandy beach where you can see the Hendrick's Hill lighthouse. Quaint and pretty!

Date of stay: June 2017
4  Thank gogranny60
Reviewed March 19, 2017

The Ship Ahoy Motel isn't fancy - the rooms are basic, the grounds aren't photogenic, and to make a reservation you have to mail them a check. But if you're looking for a reasonably priced place to stay on Southport Island then this is just about your best option. Close to everything you want, at half the price of your other options.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank sputnik1784
Reviewed November 28, 2016

We have been coming for several years and always want to stay longer when it is time to leave. We really enjoy the private balcony to sit and watch the lobster boats and the tide come in and go back out. The Robinson's Wharf is a short walk away, it has a restaurant, lounge and a fish market and will cook orders to go. One tradition we have is to order lobster cooked and enjoy it with cheese, crackers & champagne by candlelight on our balcony as it gets dark. That is my idea of winding down and really relaxing on my vacation in God's Country. You can fish from their pier, they do have public wifi on the office & deck if you need to do a quick something on the computer. Rooms are spacious with high ceilings, even has a tv if you need that. I have stayed in all their sections, my favourate is upstairs in the near East building. They also have a large function room where you can get coffee & muffins perched high up with a fantastic view of the water and islands. The owners are super friendly as well as their help. I have always had a pleasant experience and would recommend it highly ( but hope not too many people find out about it) because I want to always be able to come back again and be able to get a room at a great price. Their very reasonable prices are the major reason I am even able to come here on vacation. The location is on an island a little bit off the well beaten path. Wouldnt suit everyone but that is exactly what I look for when I go away. It is perfect for me..... I give it a 5 ++++++

Date of stay: October 2016