All reviewswood panelingboothbay harborpaper thin wallssouthport islanddifferent buildingsin seasonprivate balconieswatching the lobster boatsbagelslabor dayoutdoor poolfront porchswing bridgecontinental breakfastwaterfront buildingbeautiful viewdock
Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

Decide what your priority is before you book here. If you want location and view, this is your place. If you want standard accommodations you will be disappointed. Firstly, the view is pristine. It's got a great waterfront location. It's quiet. The scenery is amazing. You can fish off the beach or the dock. If you want a beautiful Maine experience this is it. If you are looking for amenities forget it. The rooms are bare bones. You'll get a bar of soap - a thin, sharp slice. No shampoo no hair dryer. Carpet is indoor outdoor. The beds are hard. The pillows are thin. The tv reception? Meh. The deck was a bit scary, the pole wasn't attached to the ceiling. There's a building for continental breakfast. There is a selection of store bought danish, bagels and yogurt. Coffee and hot drinks available. Everything's a dollar. Don't ask for ice or a cup of water, that's not available. We were there for the view so the amenities didn't matter to me although the lack of shampoo did bother me.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank ThePinkPolliwog
Reviewed September 15, 2017

We have been here several times over the years. We like the building that is right on the water and you can sit on the balcony and absorb the scenery. No phone, WIFI at office and tv with limited channels. This is a great way to get away from it all and rest. Just wish the beds were a tad softer. Very clean and light breakfast items available for minimal cost.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 1Seacoaster
Reviewed August 11, 2017 via mobile

Pros: Right on a quiet harbor
Private balcony
Comfortable beds
Very reasonable price

Cons: Very musty smell
Old & tired decor
13" TV that was all fuzzy
No wifi in room
Thin walls (can hear neighbors A LOT)

Breakfast food was in another building where everything offered was $1. We never ate there as we wanted a real full breakfast. We understand many people enjoy it here and are repeat customers. We will definitely not be.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yardener
Reviewed July 8, 2017

I read the reviews before I booked a nights lodging. Yes, you do have to print a form and mail a check, so what? Being a senior citizen I found this place to be familiar, they have not changed it, is original old time. There is wood paneling, and an older TV, no modern conveniences as a micro/refrig coffee maker or hair dryer. I can only speak about my room, a handicap accessible room in the waterfront building. It was CLEAN, spacious and had a very accessible bathroom. I have spent twice as much in popular hotel chains to not have the room accessible. I could tell they are working on some upgrades, new planks on the walkways etc. The mattress could use an upgrade, not sure about the other rooms. I was shocked not to have wifi available in the room, but getting "unplugged" and enjoying nature is good for all of us. To be close to the water, smell it, hear it, see it is really all you need. It provides a private patio to get connected to nature and let your troubles slip away. It depends on personal preferences and tolerance levels, but to me this was like going back in time to a simpler place. We should not forget what life used to be like.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnnieD39
Reviewed June 24, 2017 via mobile

You will read reviews good and bad about Ship Ahoy. First of all you will not find cockroaches, rats or bugs. The place has age but is kept clean and neat. It is a very simple Motel, rooms are dated, yes. Televisions are old but being changed out but don't expect a large screen or crisp clear channels. Reservations will be your first clue, you have to either phone in or mail the form with deposit to them.

Ok so you've stuck with me this far so I'll tell you the secret, this place is just wonderful! You're thinking "I've read some reviews and the place doesn't sound wonderful".
The views will just message the stress out of you! The dated CLEAN simple room will offer you a dated, CLEAN bathroom with an excellent shower but the treat is to walk through to the other side of the room to the cozy little balcony with the incredible views. You can also walk over to the the ramp/gang plank down to the water to the float or dock. Throw a line in, catch some Maine Mackerel or Stripe Bass or sit on the old benches there and watch for the seals to come by. We saw an Osprey coming back with a fish in it's talons only to be attacked by a huge Bald Eagle for the fish soon another Osprey joined the first one to try to reclaim the prize. It was just amazing to watch!

I could go on but in the end Ship Ahoy is a very affordable place to relax and enjoy the best of Maine's coastal experience and nature. Plain and simple.
Boothbay Harbor is a few miles away if you need that tourist experience, but the Oasis will be waiting for when you've had enough and want to relax!

Yes it is NOT for those who need 100 channels to watch on a big screen or fluffy bed and bedding or granite/marble top vanity. Or don't want to interact with other guests and develop new connections. But it is a diamond in the rough! Stay away the rest of us love it!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple