“Unsatisfactory customer service”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Unsatisfactory customer service”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The following is from an email I wrote to Maligne lodge after a stay there in January 2012 - the final insult to the whole saga; they could not even be bothered to acknowledge my email or my concerns, be warned: I stayed at the lodge from January 2nd to January 5th. I was in Jasper to get married as I had pointed out at the time when I made my initial booking.
I had the misfortune however to be placed in Family Room 103, I was VERY disappointed with this room for the following reasons:
1) The back bedroom has no window to the out doors and it is extremely stuffy
2) The whole apartment was at 28C despite the heating being turned OFF
3) We had to have the ceiling fan going all night long which was noisy,creaky and completely ineffective
4) Due to the location next to the laundry there are water pipes right above the bedroom ceiling which have an airlock and bang and rattle every 11 minutes - yes I know this precisely as I spent a great deal of the night lying awake listening to them as the room was so stiflingly hot it was impossible to sleep !
The result - I had to get married after having barely any sleep. What is frustrating is that when one of the caretakers came around to take a look - and yes they acknowledged all of the 'known' problems - they said it was just a function of the room being next to the laundry and yes there had been complaints before. My question then, is why do you keep putting guests in this sub standard room and charging them the normal rates ?

When we got back from the wedding my husband asked if we could get a different room to sleep in (this would have minimised the fuss of all 4 of us that were staying in 103 having to move all of our belongings AGAIN) - but no, we were told that we would all have to vacate 103 and move to another suite. Although the room we moved to was significantly better, it did however mean that on my wedding day I had to waste an hour moving 4 people from one room to another.

Really, I do not think this level of customer service is good enough, nobody even apologised for all of the disruption caused. I would like to know what management has to say about this overall experience before I post this account on Trip Advisor which I think currently paints a rather too-rosy picture of your establishment.

............................. only radio silence ensued, hence the post .............................

Room Tip: This is very much a motel rather than a hotel - avoid the corner rooms by the laundry like the plagu...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

the rooms are clean and well set up, comfy king bed, fridge, pool, hot tub. The mid week price with lift tickets for Marmot was terrific. Location is a healthy walk from town centre, but a beautiful scenic walk too. Good and inexpensive breakfast available in the morning. The ski shuttle bus for marmot stops at the front door.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skiinbikinguy
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2012

this was my first visit to Jasper, and i stayed at the Maligne lodge a nice hotel in beautiful jasper, the indoor swimming pool is a bonus, i booked my room through the hotel directly the girl at the front desk was super helpful.
when i will revisit jasper Maligne lodge is my home

Room Tip: Book through the hotel you get a good deal.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian D
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel while skiing at Marmot, so I'll keep this review short.

Rooms are good - they clearly try to stand out from some of the other hotels in area. However, the bathrooms are in desperate need of renos. The previous renos are messy and while the bathroom is clean, its time they just completely re-do the bathrooms.

We opted to have breakfast at the hotel for the first time. It took 60 mins to get our food. I would have just walked out, but I was convinced to stay. Its ridiculous to wait longer than 20 mins for breakfast food. I won't eat there again. Head down the road to the Soft Rock cafe for better food and service at the same price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WanderingBrunette
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The Maligne Lodge is a very old establishment with old decor and bathroom. However, can't complain about the beds - very comfy and warm. It's located at one end of the main street, so it's a slightly longer walk into the main part of town than other lodges. Not too good after dinner in the cold, fall winds but during the day, when the sun is up, it was a lovely stroll through the residential neighbourhood. There are better lodges in Jasper but you'd have to pay a higher price.

Room Tip: We booked a standard room which is pretty pokey. If you can pay extra, get a bigger room or suite.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Wells, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2011

It was not inexpensive, but our stay was wonderful. The suite was really large & inviting, the bedrooms were large & the beds super comfortable. A full size kitchen was a nice bonus! The pool area was directly outside our door & the pool is great with kids as it is mostly about 3 feet; so not a pool for actually swimming, but fabulous for the kids to play in. Walking distance to downtown for eating out or shopping. There are definitely some maintenance issues within the room itself (small things like the bathroom fan & tub jets were broken, so they do need to fix up those things (esp. when you are in Jasper as you are already overpaying vs. other towns), but the room was quiet, enjoyable, roomy & comfortable!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite, so can't comment on the regular rooms, but if you can afford a suite in th...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Maligne Lodge is a good professional Hotel to stay in Jasper. I had stayed here in 2009 fall and came back 2011 summer too mainly because it has value for money. It is located in the heart of the town with access to various restaurants and other souvenir shops. They have large parking space and checking in and checking out are all very efficiently done.
This was a trip with my son Anoop Karollil who works at Vancouver, my daughter and wife.
The room is neat and bathrooms too are quite hygienic. May be they can give breakfast too so one does not have to stir out in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms which are accessable without climbing stairs if you have baggage.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family