“Great family ski area” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marmot Basin Ski Area

Marmot Basin Ski Area
Ranked #9 of 48 things to do in Jasper
More attraction details
Owner description: Marmot Basin, located in Jasper National Park, Alberta provides unparalleled skiing and snowboarding for all ages and all abilities. Nestled in the heart of the Canadian Rocky Mountains, Marmot Basin offers a family friendly, laid back, crowd free experience with stunning views. The nearby town of Jasper offers a friendly welcome to all with hotels, bars and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets. As well as an unforgettable snow sports experience, there are also many other activities available, including shoe-shoeing, cross-country skiing, dog sledging, winter wildlife tours, canyon walks and much, much more! Once visited, never forgotten, come see us for an authentic Rocky Mountain experience. We look forward to seeing you! Your friends at Marmot Basin.
Winnipeg
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great family ski area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We have been skiing here for a week at Spring Break for several years, and I can give it a good overall rating as a family destination ski area for many reasons.
It has good facilities, friendly atmosphere, lots of variety for skiing at various levels and it is priced right.
Intermediate skiers will find the terrain excellent and extensive. Advanced skiers may find it a little light on easily accessible, difficult runs. To access challenges, I found myself having to hike up or head down areas with too many obstacles for my liking, and top-to-bottom includes a big flat area to cruise through. That being said, there are some terrific runs where you can really get into a fast tempo.
The mid-mountain chalet is excellent, lifts are great, crowds are very small and snow conditions and slope grooming generally good. It is not an enormous top-end resort like Whistler (where I have skied most often), but it also not Rossland's quirky Red Mountain. Instead, Marmot Basin is a full realized potential that is just too far from a major population base to grow much more. And I think it is just right as it is.
The town of Jasper has many reasonably priced hotels, as well as the iconic if somewhat overpriced JPL, in the winter. (It is a different story in the summer.) Jasper is a long drive from Edmonton, the closest city and you have to pay fees to be in the national park, but it is worth it. If you have time, consider travelling by train (VIA Rail) for that classic experience.
Id suggest taking the first day to take in the park and town, get booked into your hotel (my budget choice is Mt Robson Inn with the free breakfast), get rentals (I recommend Totem) and explore the quaint town. Make sure you check out Jasper Park Lodge (JPL) just outside town, even if you are not staying there.
We've had consistently good experiences with spring skiing in Jasper at Marmot Basin and I can recommend it to all skiers and skiing families.

1 Thank bhs_wpg

London, United Kingdom
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Great place to learn to ski”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Awesome scenery and nice gentle slopes for learning. Staff were very helpful & enthusiastic & wanted us to improve so went the extra mile! Enjoyed so much that we went up again the next day. Skiing is a costly hobby but prices are comparable to anywhere else in the world. Good ski packages for learners/intermediate with lessons so very happy! Highly recommend!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Spring Skiing !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was my first time skiing at Marmot Basin. I was a little concerned that it was late in April and the temp in Jasper was +11C and it had rained most of the night before. It turned out to be an excellent ski experience. The rain in Jasper was almost 4 inches of new snow on the upper part of the mountain. The temp on the mountain was 0C at the bottom and -5C at the top (was -10C at 9am). There is still plenty of base on the hill and there was literally almost nobody skiing today. Perhaps 1 in 10 chairs in the chairlift had people in them.

If you get a chance to get out skiing at Marmot this spring - go for it! You won't regret it.

1 Thank Dave A
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Most underrated ski hill in the Rockies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Just off another great day and I continue to love this hill. Having skied over 40 years in 3 countries and 7 mountain ranges I think I can say this hill has the best grooming I have ever experienced, and at my age grooming is everything. Also with the highest base elevation in Canada Marmot is great in the spring. Pleasant lifties and a great Ski Patrol just add to a wonderful ski experience.

Robert Turnbull

4 Thank Robert T
Worksop, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Novice skier but thoroughly enjoyed it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

It was our first time skiing outside on a real slope and it was amazing! We bought a ski pass and booked a level two lesson which cost, roughly, £200 including ski hire. The lesson didn't go so well for me as the slope was much different to the indoor slope we had used previously. The camber and icy patches made the tree lined run very scary but after a lunch break and use of the nursery slope I was back at it and enjoyed a few successful runs before leaving. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. I'm sure skiers of all abilities will love this place..we'd come back in a heartbeat. A great day out!