“Off the beaten path”

Jasper Riding Stables
Ranked #12 of 23 Tours in Jasper
More attraction details
Owner description: Jasper Riding Stables on Pyramid Lake Road! Horsebackriding in the Jasper National Park! Trail rides by the hour or the day, carriage rides, pack trips, special events, dine and ride. Come by our stables just a few minutes from beautiful downtown Jasper in the Canadian Rockies! Follow the signs for Patricia and Pyramid Lakes, apprx 4km, turn at the Parks horse sign, the arrow points into our parking lot.
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I booked a three-hour tour in advance. The stables were clean and well-kept, and the horses were very well-trained and well-behaved. The tour led us past amazing sites and spectacular views of several lakes and other viewpoints. Some bits of the ride were maybe not for the faint-hearted, some climbs and descents were quite technical, along steep ridges on rocky paths. Howver, the horses would have done everything probably with their eyes closed - they were really not taken aback with anything and seemed to know the route like the inside of their pocket.
Our guide was very friendly. I was the last in the line of a group of 5 and could hear everything very well, as it is absolutely dead-silent in the forest. The guide did not speak a lot by himself as he prefered to let us enjoy the scenery rather than overpowering the tour with endless talk. However, he did explain some key interesting facts about the nature and the area, and whenever you asked him something he would explain elaborately.
3 hours on a horse is a lot if you're not used to riding (which I am not) but i found it totally worth the minor discomfort I faced by the end of the tour. Around every corner there was something new and beautiful to see, and it's definitely something else to do this on a horse. It was exciting (especially when we saw two bears), yet relaxing and quirky.

2  Thank doortje_d
There are newer reviews for Jasper Riding Stables

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My daughter and I called 1 hour ahead from the visitor center and were lucky to have 2 beautiful horses saddled up for us so we could enjoy the 2 hour ride. We had a guide in front and a guide at the end because we were a larger party. (6 guests I think) It was difficult to hear the guide in front, but the guide in back and I had a nice conversation throughout the ride. I learned a lot! The route
For the 2 hour ride is beautiful and varied. We saw aspen forests, beaver ponds, wildflowers, and scenic vistas above the river and town. The horses were quite well behaved. We did have some excitement when we came across a wasp nest. The 4 horses in the rear of the line were stung in he face. The guide calmly told the riders what to do, and no one as hurt. Those are good horses! We were super lucky and saw a cinnamon bear and 3 cubs in trees near the end of the ride. WOW! This is not an amusement park. It's real natural nature! Be prepared to enjoy the nature! We loved it, and recommend highly.

1  Thank JSJR
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Went on a 3 hour ride... Lovely views and interesting as well.... Some very steep trails (up and down) - some quite hazardous (low branches; branch stubs at eye level, rocky, stony, narrow trail). Mounts often sliding on trails/rocks and in one case caused a minor injury on a branch stub.... However, very well trained horses - difficult to get any of them to move off trail/nose-to-tail. Guide seemed very uninterested - didn't even know if we spoke english. Did give a bit of a commentary but unless you were in the first two of the line of 6, there was no chance of hearing it. No attempt to warn of difficult sections of trail or to check if all was OK.
This is a very large stables; I am sure with high standards. We were disappointed with the guide and the stables needs to be a little more personal in it's client management to avoid being seen as just a factory....

2  Thank AJCG
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We originally booked a two hour ride yesterday. Our two hour ride turned into one hour - ONLY because my daughters were nervous and we didn't think they could handle the other hour. We even got money back and we certainly didn't expect it. Our guide Al, was fantastic the entire time. He was very patient with the girls when they became nervous. I would highly recommend this riding stable to anyone. The view was beautiful. I would most definitely come back again.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

This was a great experience for novices and experts alike in our small party. Our guide Beth was great and gave us tons of information on the area and the stunning views as we rode along the mountain. We had a great evening and were sad to leave.

1  Thank diverdude15