All reviews skyline trail running water outhouse sleeping rockies accommodation
Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

We stopped at Shovel Pass lodge after missing our reserved campsite on the skyline trail. We didn’t have a reservation but Jane and Brad (the hosts) were very willing to accommodate us and took payment for the night when we arrived. They were absolutely lovely, provided a clean and warm cabin for the 3 of us. We had a yummy meal full of goodies that Jane makes! We had a good sleep (which was very welcome after two days on the trail) and after a hearty and delicious breakfast Brad gave us a lot of great info on the trip ahead. I would highly recommend this lodge to anyone hiking the Skyline trail!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

An amazing spot in the middle of the Canadian Rockies! Food was really good and hearty. However I agree with previous posts- the owners seemed annoyed by us and we got in “trouble” a lot because the expectations weren’t well set. For example, we didn’t know the lodge closed at 9pm and got abruptly kicked out after overhearing the owners talking about us in the kitchen. Also our heat broke during the night and we couldn’t find the host cabin to get it fixed until the next day. We also got told to “quiet down” while playing board games in the afternoon because apparently the owners needed to have a meeting then but never told us. Also the cabins leaked water onto us when it rained and there were holes in the sheets. Overall amazing views but I expected a more welcoming environment for the price.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank kbbrown17
Reviewed January 22, 2018

Caveat: I stayed at this lodge some time ago, and things may be different now.

Shovel Pass Lodge has a monopoly. It's the only game in town if you want to hike the iconic Sky Line Trail without backpacking gear and spend more than one day doing it (about 28 miles round trip). We stayed at the lodge a couple of years ago (I couldn't select an older date for my review, so I chose July of 2017 but we actually stayed in July of 2015). We plan to stay there again this summer - and i'll update my review after we do so.

The "lodge" is a small and rustic structure. And sometimes, as in this case, I think using "rustic" as a descriptor means a euphemism for a little shoddy. It consists of a small kitchen, one smallish room with vaulted ceilings (it's an A-Frame style building), and a porch with rocking chairs (weather allowing).

The main room is where meals are served picnic table style. The food is kinda blah to be honest, and that's an opinion rendered after a rather lengthy slog through the mountains with varying weather (we had everything from sunshine to horizontal, drenching rain to snow). The hike (we did not use horses, though riding in is an option) increased my appetite, but the food did not. It wasn't bad - it just wasn't that good.

Our accommodation was a cabin - sounds quaint, right? Well... It was small with one bed (queen size, I think), a small heater, and a metal roof (I listened to rain at night). The mattress was lumpy - and the princess certainly would have felt the pea sleeping in that bed. The blankets were old and rough, but warm enough. The outhouse was a little ways away. The cabin remained cold even with the heater on, and our wet clothes did not dry after 14 hours.

I get that this place is remote and that hauling supplies in and out must be difficult and somewhat costly, but it just feels lacking in a number of ways.

The staff wasn't rude, but it wasn't welcoming or friendly either. Lukewarm is probably a good word for our reception. Another reviewer stated that the staff treated guests like there were a nuisance, and I suppose I felt a little that way too. I'm sure it's a lot of work to run a lodge in the wilderness, but it would be nice if they could manage it with a little more grace and warmth.

I guess I was just expecting more for the price (kinda expensive - just shy of $500 for the two of us with meals included).

But again, it's the only game in town - and it's a roof over your head in a formidable wilderness after a long hike in and before another long hike out.

BTW, the trail itself is spectacular, as is the surrounding wilderness! To be in the midst of all that beauty must make spirits a little brighter and lighter or so you would think...

If there were another option for accommodation, I'd likely take it. And sadly, I'm too lazy to haul a heavy pack for one overnight stay - diminishing returns if you catch my drift (multiple days might make it worth it). Sometimes you have to suck it up for the sheer beauty of the place and for experience. This is one of those times.

Room tip: Sells out fast, so book early.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Minivern
Reviewed August 27, 2017

We stayed two nights at the Lodge and were very glad we did. Hiking in 20 plus Kms the first day makes for a long day and we were glad to have the second day to explore Watchtower. The Lodge is rustic as are the cabins...no running water and no showers. But there is running water at the main lodge, a thermos of warm water is dropped off at 730 on your porch for morning wash up and the food was tremendous and in great quantity. We had chicken and dumplings the first night with NY style cheese cake with fresh cherry topping for dessert; the second night one of the best lasagnes I have ever had, followed. by melt in your mouth cream puffs (profiteroles)....breakfasts were hearty and big: oatmeal, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, bacon And/or sausages...no need to starve here. And the very best thing: a member of our group had dietary issues/needs and the Lodge was there for her in every way. Special thanks to the staff there for looking after all of us so well. Staying here while hiking the Skyline Trail is the absolute best way....

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank skychaserCalgary
Reviewed August 16, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here at the half way point on the skyline trail. It enabled us to do the trial with having to camp. As visitors from Europe it was not really practical, so this was our opportunity to do an overnight hike.

There a main hut for dinner and breakfast with a veranda to relax on with a great view down the valley. There are 7 huts for guests. No running water or electricity but spacious and comfy.

The lodge was run by a couple of young lads who were friendly and cooked a great dinner and breakfast.

Due to the risk of snow the lodge is only open july and August.

The lodge is next to the curator camp site which is situated below the tree line just before the curator lake. (It is 200m lower so a bit of an extra hike in the morning!)

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichardZ403