“Rudest Most Incompetent Front Desk Clerk EVER!!”

Medicine Hat Inn & VLT Lounge
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Montreal, Canada
“Rudest Most Incompetent Front Desk Clerk EVER!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2010

While checking in I commented on the unusual 1 day cancellation policy for reserved rooms. Most hotels I had encountered in the past would allow for a cancellation provided that it was received by 16:00 the same day. The clerk (RYAN) stated that he wasn't going to argue with me (I wasn't arguing). I told him I wasn't arguing and I just wanted to check in. "Only if you say PLEASE" I was told. The last straw. I was next told that I wasn't welcome at the hotel and that would I please leave. I asked to speak to the manager (his mother, I suspect). Things were gradually ironed out.
The young man should NEVER be allowed to deal with the public. I will never deal with this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank enroute2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Calgary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

Although conveniently located and reasonably priced, this hotel fails on so many levels. Extremely noisy, dubious housekeeping, broken bedframes, deadbolts that don't really close and carpets that desparately need to be replaced are trumphed by a complete lack of response from the front desk staff when the fire alarm went off. In fact, the front desk staff were the only people outside during the fire alarm. Don't bother.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BKfromCalgary
Salt Spring Island, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

We normally stay at Coast Hotels and find them very comfortable and well-appointed. Our stay in the Coast Medicine Hat was dreadful. The stench of the "room deodorizer" hit you like a hammer when you opened the door onto the floor. The bed was soft and mushy. There were no tissues, coffee or tea, and the decor came right out of a 1970's rumpus room. The overpowering deodorizer smell and the mushy bed finally won, and we got up at 4 am & checked out.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
nanaimo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2008

I would just like to thank the staff at the hotel. They were very accomodating and helpfull. They went above and beyond, they were checking the road conditions for us as a storm was going on and we were undecided if we should travel the roads back to BC. They also made sure that our whole family was kept side by side in the 6 rooms that we reserved. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Again I would like to say THANK YOU to all the staff at the Coast Inn in Medicine Hat Alberta.

Stayed April 2008
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

This hotel was terribly bad,I couldnt even stand this hotel.Think ramada is better

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007
winnipeg, mb
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

Stayed there for one night on our way to Vancouver. Front desk was friendly, helpful. Although the beds and washroom were clean, the problem was with the carpet. We could not go barefoot as the carpeting was dirty. It actually turned your feet black. We were in room 107 which is close to an airconditioning
control unit outside. Slept poorly as we could hear it go off and on all night.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2006

We arrived late into Medicine Hat on September 18, about 10:00 p.m., after a long drive (13.5 hours) from the coast. We had already checked out another hotel that we normally stayed at on previous visits to Medicine Hat, but it's pool and slide was down for reno's. We drove to a couple of other places and happened across the Howard Johnson which seemed to be a nice Hotel. We were very pleased to find out that it was, in fact, a perfect choice for our family. The young lady at the front counter was extremely helpful and gracious to our family even, at such a late hour. She exemplified what "service" should be, knowledgeable, friendly, courteous and accomodating. We were in Medicine Hat to attend a family funeral and with all the emotions surrounding the purpose of our stay it was wonderful to have felt so welcome in this lovely Hotel. As a family, we have travelled and stayed in many different Hotels over the years, throughout B.C., Alberta, California and Hawaii, and both my husband and I agree that the style and service and courtesy extended to us at the Medicine Hat Howard Johnson Hotel, was one of the best. Pretty impressive for a small town hotel. I might add that we stayed at a different hotel (convention centre/Inn) two days later, at the booking of a family member that had some 50% off deal, one that boasted all kinds of amenities and conveniences, and all I can say is that it could not hold a candle to the much smaller and more beautiful Howard Johnson for service, friendliness and cleanliness.

If the Howard John in Medicine Hat is an example of the service and standard for all others in the chain then you have made a satisfied customer feel the need to look no further for future hotel accomodations.

The Osborne's

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — Would like to have had a pool for the kids.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be deceived by the name, it's huge value for the price, very reasonable.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family