“Comfortable, Quiet and Fresh Fruit!”

Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I was quite pleased with my first experience at this hotel, having had a few mediocre experiences at other Kamloops hotels. The (pillowtop) bed was comfortable, in a spacious room decorated with modern furnishings. My room, facing the parking lot in the back, was very quiet. It's a 5-10 minute drive into downtown, but I think well worth it for the quiet and newer amenities. There was fresh fruit at breakfast which I find is a big bonus when travelling.

Room Tip: Room facing the back parking lot was quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 September 2011

This was a one night stop, passing through Kamloops. The room was spacious and clean, the bed comfortable and, although we had little contact with the staff, they were obliging. The breakfast was a little weak - rather unappetizing hot options, no yogurt, all on styrofoam and plastic. That said, I would return as the property is new, in good repair and well run.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
BWkamloops, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Thank you for your review of our property. We have instituted recently a new menu rotation in our breakfast room to add more variety as asked for by our guests.

In reference to the "plastic forks and styrofoam", we do not use styrofoam plates but recycled plates and are cutlery are a potato based product that is biodegrable as part of our "Green Initiatives" throughout the hotel.

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had enjoyed staying at Best Western Plus hotels. They normally have exceptionally comfortable bedding so we get a wonderful nights sleep. The Kamloops hotel had great bedding but lacked some features. First, they had no welcoming extras. We have become used to cookies, newspapers, bottled water, and apples. None were made available. We request an accessible room since I have had both knees replaced and I have a back problem. Our room was at the very end of the hallway so it was the least accessible in terms of distance to travel with suitcases. The bathroom was poorly planned with only one dull light. The sink and mirror were in a corner next to the shower and far from any light. The shower had no light so quite dark when the shower curtain was drawn. The shower had no seat and there was no plastic chair or bench to sit on. Finally, I used the exercise room but I could not get the treadmill to work properly and it lacked instructions. The swimming pool, however, was wonderful with fantastic access beginning with steps into a 2 foot depth and gradually walking to a 5 foot depth.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

All our accessible rooms were built as suites. Bathrooms have a barrier free layout but I agree we have to improve the lighting which the owner is looking into. We do have a portable chair which my staff should have told you about (we do not put in the room as we use in other rooms also). We do have two rooms on the ground floor at the end of the hall (where we could make them bigger) and also two on the second floor beside the elevator.

I am glad the pool area was accessible for you as we have tried to make it as accommodating as possible.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

This is my second visit to this hotel this year. The beds were unbelievable. Something about the bed makes you feel like you are lying on clouds. I understand the beds are new and of all the hotels (4) this week I stayed at, this hotel has the best beds. Unfortunately someone coughing from the next door neighbor room woke me up in the morning, so that is the only downside of the hotel. The walls seem a little thin! The suite was lovely though and spacious. I enjoyed the pool area and the water was warmer than it was last time. The decorative pillars with marbles imbedded make it interesting and fun to swim around. It is a large pool area and I particularly liked that they only turned out the lights to let us know that it was past pool time hours, and gave us that extra time we needed. The free breakfast is excellent except the eggs are kind of funny tasting. I particularly enjoyed the variety of breakfast offerings. The desk staff were very nice and kind.

Room Tip: The suites are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank spanakopita
Timrodgers, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kamloops Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your visits with us. We put quality pillow top mattresses in our suites and Top Floor King rooms. We have had many guests comment on how much they enjoy them.

We are changing our breakfast menu to develop a rotation for our guests who stay more often as they have asked for a variety more often.

Tim Rodgers CHA

Reviewed 10 September 2011

Fantastic room with a 7ft bed and a great bathroom (though some mildew on tiling), very convenient for the highway, but ultimately overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We only stayed here one night on the September Labour Day Long Weekend to visit our daughter going to the local university. If you have someone you are visiting a the university this hotel is very close. Also close to all the shopping and restaurants Kamloops has to offer. The hotel itself is only a year old so it is very new looking. The hotel free breakfest in the morning was good for a Best Western. We have stayed at other Best Western Hotels in the States where they offer the free breakfest in the morning and this one had the best selection that I have seen so far (i.e. eggs, sausage, waffles, etc.). My only complaint would be that I think the hotel is not all that sound proof when it comes to hearing other guests in their room. Also like I said we have stayed at some VERY nice Best Western Hotels in the States (Palm Springs, LA and San Diego) and this one was nice but needs some character but maybe I'm expecting too much from a hotel that is in Kamloops. The room I thought was also a bit pricey at a $145 a night for a two queen bed standard room but that might have been due to it being a long weekend? I would stay here again though and would recommend it...not sure if there is anything that would be as new or nicer in the centre of Kamloops.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel as the front of the hotel faces a busy street.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nep67
Reviewed 9 September 2011

BEST - Beds and Pillows
LEAST - Noise Levels

Service was great, hotel is NEW! but once in my room it sounds like you are on the main highway! Traffic woke me up at 6:45am. Request a room not facing the highway. VERY NOISY. At night without traffic the walls are paper thin. You hear people talking, getting ice, opening doors down the hall, in the bathroom. I wouldn't expect this type of noise level from a hotel of this level and price. The bed and decor is what you're paying for. Don't use the iron it is cheap and leaks water all over your clothes. The bathroom has a funny smell I can't figure out if it's sewer or smelling musty from a person trying to smoke in the no smoking room. Overall I wouldn't think twice is this was an $80 hotel. I paid a corporate group rate over $120 for a standard room, regular rate is probably higher. There is only a continental breakfast so if you are here on business and want to hang out with people the only option is your room. I would recommend choosing another hotel. Even though this is brand new, for the price, I'd recommend something older that was built better, and was renovated.

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the main street because of street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business