All reviews white spot place to stay pancake machine shopping and restaurants within walking distance parking lot outdoor pool yogurt boiled eggs comfortable beds the main highway home away from home spent one night easy access breakfast room we've stayed room was large
Reviewed March 23, 2018

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and we had an overall poor experience. We were really disappointed because we had heard good things about it and read through other tripadvisor reviews. Before I get into the negatives, let me list some positive things. First of all, the staff here were lovely and very nice. Also, the location is really convenient and central to everything. We also found there to be lots of parking and we were really happy to see free hot chocolate/tea/coffee in the lobby. We also used the printer/computer in the lobby area to print a few pages off and it worked great.

Now, let me get into the negatives of which there were unfortunately many. I will list these in point form:

1) Fridge broken
- When we arrived, our fridge was making a very loud buzzing noise. We had to call maintenance. To the hotel's credit, he arrived very quickly and swapped out the fridge for us with a proper working one. This was still an inconvenience though and I don't know why this fridge wasn't replaced earlier.

2) Not clean behind fridge
- When the maintenance guy moved the fridge, it was absolutely disgusting under it and all around it. I took photos and have uploaded them. It is clear that no one had cleaned under this in months, maybe years. This is a huge problem because every hotel room should be DEEP CLEANED every so often. It made me wonder what other areas of this room had not been deep cleaned. For instance, do they clean under the beds? Do they maintain the heater/ventilation systems? Do they wipe down remote controls, or clean inside the drawers?

3) Walls are paper thin
- Around 6pm, a huge group of people arrived at the hotel, presumably for a weekend sports tournament. A family of 5 moved into the small room next to us (3 kids, 2 adults) plus their dog. Now, I realize the hotel is not fully responsible for loud guests, but the thing is they weren't that loud, it is just that the walls in this place are PAPER THIN. You can hear people talking through the walls at normal speaking volume. You can also hear stomping above. I don't understand how any hotel could be built and have paper thin walls. If I built a hotel the first thing I would do is install proper sound dampening in the walls. And please believe me when I say we are not picky people (I swear). Noise normally doesn't bother us but we could hear full conversations next door. We ended up getting woken up at 7:30am when they all got up and we couldn't fall back to sleep.

4) Smallest bathroom ever
- If it weren't for the bathroom, I don't know if I would have bothered writing a negative review - it was that bad. I am 5'6" tall and my husband is 6'4" tall and I found the bathroom to barely tolerable. For my husband, it was basically unusable. For starters, the toilet was the lowest toilet I have ever seen. You have to see it to believe it. It was probably about 14 inches from the ground. Second, the height in the shower was approx. 6'6" tall to the ceiling which is less height than a normal door way. My husband could barely fit in it. The shower faucet is mounted about 1 foot lower than the ceiling meaning it is very hard to use. There isn't even room inside the shower for a proper towel rack, so they have installed a retractable towel rack clothes line in the tub. Overall, the bathroom/shower design gets a 1 star.

5) Unsanitary soap and shampoo dispenser
- Even though this is part of the bathroom, it deserves its own bullet point. I have included photos of the Shampoo/Soap dispenser here. In order to cut costs, this hotel has gotten rid of the individual shampoo containers that you find in most hotels and instead has installed a Soap/Shampoo pump in the shower. There are two problems with this. First, the quality of soap and shampoo used is awful. It is watery and smells like sanitizer. But second, and more concerning, is that the receptacles that hold the liquid are supposed to "lock" for safety reasons and only be opened by the cleaning staff. As you can see, however, one of the locks on the dispenser was missing/broken and the other one wasn't locked at all. So anyone can just open these up and put whatever they want in them (urine, spit, hair, etc). I don't know who would do that, but you never know (lol). Based on the lack of deep cleaning by the fridge, I think it is safe to assume that staff probably never empty/clean these and simply top them up. As you can see by the photo, the lid looks pretty mucky. Gross.

6) Hot water doesn't get hot enough
- If you turn the taps to the absolute hottest setting, you can put your hands under them no problem at all. In the shower, my husband used the hottest setting and the shower still wasn't hot enough.

7) WiFi slow and kept cutting out
- When we checked in we were given a password for wifi. I connected to it and logged in and it worked for only 3-4 minutes at a time and then the main browser page would load and ask to login again but the password would only work some of the time. We had to tether off our cell phone data to use the internet.

8) Key card stopped working
- Not a big deal, but both our key cards stopped working 1 hour after we checked in and we had to go and get them re-activated at the front desk.

9) No Keurig in the room
- I am definitely nit-picking here, but almost all the hotels we stay at these days have a Keurig. It is a much more sanitary way of having coffee. But these rooms have actual mini-coffee makers in them instead and because of that we chose not to use it and used the coffee in the lobby instead.

10) Didn't get the room we paid for
- When we booked our hotel, we reserved a "Deluxe Queen" room. The photo showed a small kitchenette with a bigger fridge, microwave and what looked like a stove. But when we checked in, we were given what appeared to be a "Standard Queen" room. We did not say anything to the hotel though because we were exhausted and didn't feel like changing rooms. I am sure if we had told them they would have fixed it but they should have got it right the first time.

11) Grab handle in shower was loose
- Small thing I just remembered, but the grab handle in the shower was extremely loose and wobbled a lot. The screws were coming out of the wall. Very unsafe and should be fixed asap.

That is pretty much it. I don't really know what else to say. I really hope that the staff read this and can explain why the fridge area was not cleaned because that is a huge concern. Anyone staying here should be concerned if this hotel does not have regularly scheduled deep cleaning policy for their rooms. I also would not recommend this hotel for anyone who is either very tall (over 6 foot tall) or is overweight. Not only is the bathroom undersized, but all the furniture is small too. It's as if the room was built for someone who was 5'3". Also I would not book this hotel if you want peace and quiet because as mentioned the walls are super thin.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Kellydemooy, General Manager at Accent Inn Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2018

Hi Gillianc8520,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We really value hearing our guests’ feedback and we can appreciate this must have taken you some time to write out for us. Thank you!
I’m terribly sorry to hear that you had such a stressful experience at our hotel. I’m happy to hear that you felt our staff was friendly and helpful, and that we were able to replace the fridge promptly when it was found to be not working correctly. We do have rigorous cleaning protocols at our hotel, and it seems it was a little grubby behind the fridge. I will be discussing this with our fantastic housekeeping team to make sure the correct procedures are in place. I can assure you that we do clean under the beds, inside drawers, etc. As for the shower dispensers, those are also cleaned regularly in all of our rooms and we are confident that no, er, foreign substances have been introduced to the shampoo! I will flag the locking mechanism immediately. We’re sorry your husband found our bathroom uncomfortable—we’ve never heard that before but we understand that not everyone is 6’4! We hope our comfy mattress helped soothe his back! We made the decision earlier this year to move away from Keurig machines as we weren’t comfortable with the environmental impact they have; however, guests are more than welcome to request one and we will bring one to your room with pods.

Overall, it sounds like you had an experience that is not typical of Accent Inns. Please contact the hotel directly and ask to speak to myself, Kelly the General Manager. I’d like to turn this around for you and refund your stay.

Thanks
Kelly

Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

My friend was doing a sales trip through BC, and we had stayed in Accent Inns along the way, all were good, but Accent Inn in Kamloops went above and beyond the service expected. This was a combined business/Personal trip, as we had picked up a third friend who was relocating to a different province. We had a car in tow and 2 cats. We had been winter driving and experienced many delays due to winter road conditions. We arrived much later than expected, the front desk clerk, Chris, came out to greet us and help show us where to park our large vehicle/s. Everything went very smoothly.

However, what was more meaningful was on the second night when one of the cats escaped from the room. As we began our search, Chris came out and helped scan the property when he could, also keeping an eye out on the security camera for us. We were able to contact him via email to send him a picture of the cat. The cat was so valuable to us and Chris could tell. He was supportive and understanding and became somewhat of a hero to us when he showed up in the middle of the night with the cat in tow.

Further to that, when we asked the hotel for a late check out, and possibly an extended stay they were more than accommodating.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice place, with staff who clearly go above and beyond.

This will permanently be the hotel I stay at whenever I come to Kamloops.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank E B
Kellydemooy, General Manager at Accent Inn Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2018

Dear Guest,

I cannot express to you how thrilled I am that one of the team members at Accent Inn Kamloops went over and above. I am proud of a team that is known for their wonderful customer service. I will make sure to pass this on to him personally and am glad that we are your hotel of choice while staying in Kamloops.

Regards,
Kelly D

Reviewed February 6, 2018

First time visit to Canada. Looked online for 3-star or above. Decided on Accent Inn because of location but was delightfully surprised w/accommodations. Fair price for comfortable room (good bed & pillows) w/very nice breakfast included. Everything we needed... even a rubber ducky and pen (that we were invited to take) and topped off with friendly staff and 24-hr coffee in lounge. Restaurants & stores w/in walking distance! We would definitely return and will recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Probably take room in front. We were on back side which had more road noise.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Kellydemooy, General Manager at Accent Inn Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2018

Dear Guest,

Wow, love the 5 star rating. I am always so thrilled when we can exceed our guests expectations. Glad you liked our duck humor and I will make sure to pass on your wonderful comments to our team.

Regards,
Kelly D

Reviewed January 6, 2018

We went to Kamloops for a medical procedure. We booked this motel on other guests experiences and reviews and were not disappointed. The check-in was smooth and the young lady was very informative and accommodating. The room was very clean and had everything that we needed. The beds were very comfortable and had nice fluffy pillows...4 on each bed. The only thing we would have liked was a hot tub...maybe next time! And the medical rate was very reasonable. If we have to return we would definitely stay here again. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathy P
Kellydemooy, Manager at Accent Inn Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

Thank you, Kathy, for taking the time to review Accent Inns' Kamloops property - and so very generously! The front desk and housekeeping teams will certainly be informed of your comments. While not a 'hot tub' as such, Kamloops gets hot and we have an outdoor pool, should you return in the summer :)

Reviewed December 25, 2017

This is the second stay at this inn and again for only one night. The tariff includes a good continental breakfast and the room has everything you need. Restaurants and stores are within walking distance and the tariff is very reasonable. Can definitely recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynette00
Kellydemooy, General Manager at Accent Inn Kamloops, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2017

Dear Lynette,

Thank you so much for the great rating. I am so pleased that you found us a great place to stay and would recommend us. Hope you had a great holiday.

Kelly