“Disappointed”

Storms On The River
Reserve with OpenTable
Storms On The River is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 358 Restaurants in Kamloops
Price range: US$5 - US$34
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: At Storms on the River we love where we live. As such, we are passionate about the great variety of ingredients British Columbia has to offer. Our internationally trained and educated Executive Chef sources all of our ingredients as fresh and local as possible while our experienced team strives to provide you with a fine dining experience you’ll enjoy. Besides being a certified oceanwise restaurant you can also count on us for a wide selection of meats and other made-from-scratch dishes. Our menus are seasonally inspired but be sure to check us out for our weekly feature specials as well. All this goes hand in hand with what our bar and lounge has to offer: From local brews over an extensive wine list to the perfectly crafted cocktail your cravings will not be left unsatisfied. Come by and enjoy a meal with family & friends overlooking the South Thompson River or dock your boat at Kamloops’ only boat access restaurant after a day on the water.
Reviewed September 10, 2017

This will take a while. Called to reserve on a Saturday evening; "we've got 2 large groups coming, so we recommend an early time". No problem; took a 5:45 reservation. The location is lovely, right on the river, so we reserved a spot on their deck overlooking the river. When we got there we were told "no deck, as it's rained and it's wet". It wasn't, actually, I wandered out during our delayed meal (see below) and the seats were perfectly dry; I think they just didn't want to sit the deck.

We were 5, so ordered drinks, delayed (a bit) deciding on food, but placed our appy and dinner orders at the same time.
Had to ask them to check on our appies after (I felt) too slow service. They arrived a few minutes later. Dinner, however, was another matter. I guess the large groups had arrived by then. AND our server forgot one of the 5 dinners; apologized, and told us, when the other orders were all ready, it would take "about 25 minutes" to cook it - did we want to wait? We'd already waited well over 1/2 hour after appies, so we said no; just serve us. What did the "lost dinner" person want? "Just some bread", as he'd lost his appetite by then (they serve a nice garlic toast with one of the appies). Waited 10 minutes more: "where is our food?" Answer: "thought we'd serve the 4 dinners WITH the toast".
Us: "No, pleeease just serve the 4 dinners you have ready".
So 4/5 of us got dinner about 50-55 minutes after we ordered it.

The food is good, yes. (This was our second visit). Some interesting and attractive offerings (eg. roasted marrow appy, bison tartare) and the food (that we got, anyway) was well prepared. But it should be; they charge premium prices, which I don't mind at all, but at those prices I expect better service.

The location is great but the restaurant itself needs some very serious upgrading/renos. It's quite dark inside and I shudder to think how dark it would be on, say, a winter's night.

So: good food, yes, at a premium price, too-slow service and too many mistakes for a restaurant offering fine dining. My advice: whatever you do, if it looks really busy, give it a pass. I'd go on a quiet evening.

Reviewed September 5, 2017

Had been to this restaurant many times in the past years and service and food was great. This restaurant has recently changed hands and the new owners have changed the menu. The price's are outrageous and you get very little for your money. The food was mediocre at best. If you are going to charge these prices; the least you could do is upgrade the place. Hasn't been Reno'd for years. It takes a lot for me to complain; but I was really really disappointed. I will not go back. I would not recommend this restaurant to others.

Reviewed September 1, 2017

Storms was recommended to us for our one night stay in Kamloops, so that's where we went. Got there just after they opened, so we got good service. Nice atmosphere with a view of the river from our table. There is outside seating, but it was quite warm during our visit. I ordered the at the server's recommendation and filet and my companion ordered surf and turf. Sadly, both pieces of meat were WAY over-cooked. At the prices we paid, I was most disappointed that we were not offered some compensation (free dessert?). Are you listening Storms?

Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

Delicious Lemon Drop martini. Fresh ingredients. Chef was kind enough to make me a seared scallop appetizer -they had changed their menu. Sydney, our server was very pleasant. Flavour of food was delicious. Definite efforts made to provide a great experience. Their cioppino had lots of seafood , salmon, super plump mussels, clams,halibut Cooked to perfection with great flavour. My husband had the duck- it was nice and tender with polenta fries-a different twist. Would definite go back next time in Kamloops.

Reviewed August 21, 2017

I went on line to read the menu for Storms and was rather disappointed when we got there and found the menu had changed so much. Many options that used to be on the menu were no longer there. The new menu seems to be very limited but having said that I really enjoyed the salmon and my husband enjoyed the buttermilk chicken. Overall the service was very good and we did enjoy our dinners.