“Excellent one night stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
GreenLeadersGold level
Salmon Arm, Canada
“Excellent one night stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed at BW Plus for only one night May 20th in rm 827 and would not hesitate to return for a longer stay. From the helpful, professional front desk staff, to the excellent cleanliness of the entire facility, we were very impressed. We have had several bad experiences with other Best Western hotels and were somewhat reluctant, but Air Miles could only get us in here for some reason so we gave it a go. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Even the free breakfast buffet was good. Simple but good. The only negative thing I could say is that the A/C was very loud and made sleep a little difficult.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor and found it to be a very quiet floor with the exception of the air condi...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
patersonKelowna, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Thank you for your excellent review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel facilities, the overall cleanliness and staff service all impressive. I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast buffet with the chefs omelet station as well. We have adjusted the A/C in the room mentioned....thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Rosemary Paterson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chilliwack, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Me and my friends had a very unfortunate experiance at this hotel. There was a fire alarm issue in which kids pulled the alarm and uniformed staff took far too long to respond to the issue. At one point they even asked us (guests) what to do about the situation. Nobody was evacuated and there was a general attitude of cunfusion from all staff.

Of the two hot tubs available - 1 was out of order and the other was tepid at best. The steam room was also out of order and the pool was occupied by swim lessions for 3 hours during which we (paying customers) were unable to use the pool. Upon bringing this to the attention of a manager the next day we were told we should have just used it anyways despite all the parents watching there kids take their swimming lession and pretty much occupying the whole area.

The front dest staff was incompetant in general. Two people who stood out, the one who was confused during the fire alarm and Matt. As for the confused boy, he was forgivable because despite everything, he was sweet and helpful. Matt however, was a nightmere. Despite many attempts to engage in polite conversation and ask questions, he was rude and unhelpful. I could write pages on him alone.

Now I will wrap up this review with the aknowledgement that we did speak to a manager the next day about our concerns but he was far from helpful. Though he listened, he made excuses about all the situations. We know there was a reason for these problems, we just think they should have been handled better. We were never truely apologized to, and were offered a paltry upgrade for our next stay which will not happen.

The breakfast was acceptable but it took us 10 minutes of waiting for the hostess before we finally seated ourselves.

In the end we ended up staying in Kelowna for one more night and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which was cheaper, and FAR superior. Seriously the Best Western Plus may be number 1 on the site but if you compare ratios, the Holiday Inn has practically no bad reviews.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aleanef
patersonKelowna, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Hello. I am extremely disappointed to hear of your experiences during your stay with us and do sincerely apologize that your stay wasn't as wonderful as it should have been. I am aware that you spoke with our Guest Services Manager in the morning and I know that he apologized profusely to you. You left him with an impression that you were comfortable with the explanations and that you would return and give us an opportunity to provide you with a superior stay in the future. Upon reading this review I am sorry to see you have changed your mind and I must say that I would prefer to speak with you directly to resolve any situation.

The fire alarm on Monday was a challenging situation as every fire alarm is and thankfully, they seldom actually occur. Unfortunately, this was a case of vandalism and extensive damage. While trying to deal with the alarms ringing, locating the vandals, and answering the phones from the multiple guests, the couple of staff on duty at that time of evening became overwhelmed until reinforcement of management and the fire department and RCMP arrived. It is always appreciated that guests understand the challenges, come down to the hotel lobby and wait patiently while staff are trying to respond to the immediate fire and safety concerns. Hotels must work in conjunction with the fire department and await "all clears" before bells can be silenced.

I am sorry that the hot tubs were not in full working order on Monday. One tub was out of order for regular maintenance however there was a mechanical failure on a heat pump which also affected the temperature of the 2nd hot tub. Both units were up and running at full temperature by Tuesday morning. These mechanical situations do occur occasionally. Our sincere apologies when they do.

We do have swimming lessons of 4 children per class occuring in the winter months from 3pm - 6pm Monday - Thursday until just prior to the May long weekend so that the pool is used regularly and the water is circulated more fully. The pool is still open and the teacher will move the class to one end of the pool if hotel guests come and use the pool, however, most of the time the pool otherwise sits empty. I am sorry that you were uncomfortable that the pool was in use when you went to use it. As this seasons' lessons are now over, I will revisit the timing of the lessons and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Again, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay so please contact me directly at 250-979-6901.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed 3 nights here at the begining of May on business. The service upon checkin and when ordering room service was fantastic. I paid a very reasonable price to stay here and breakfast was included. I ordered the spinach salad twice for lunch and it came fast, was fresh, tasted great and they didn't charge an additional "delivery" or "service" fee! I appreciated that and felt great tipping the nice gentleman who delivered it. The hotel is updated to an average level, nice and clean, with comfortable beds and a thermostat you can control yourself. I have to mention that the internet was free! Not a common added feature I can say, as I travel alot for work and was surprised to not have to pay (or beg to have it included lol). My room looked onto the back(?) of the building - facing a courtyard and was super quiet, no noise complaints from me. I used the gym once, which was spacious and I was the only one in there so I had obviously no wait for machines etc. The room was a comfortable temperature because the hotel doesn't waste money and resources blasting AC when it's not needed. The thing that impressed me most was this hotels fantastic initiative to be as Green as possible. They recycle everything, offer organic and all natural ammenities in the room (loved the soap, vegetable based and wonderful to use!) and even had fair-trade tea in the room. My only suggestion here would be to extend that to the coffee was well, it would have been great to see organic & fair trade coffee in room. And the most impressive...vinegar in the gym instead of chemicals to wipe down machines after use! Well done BW Kelowna! If you're coming to Kelowna to stay for business I'd recommend this over anything else, as the location is pretty central. And if you're staying for pleasure save your money on hotel & stay here...and then use your savings to explore the area, take a wine tour and dine at the Mission Hill Terrace restaurant, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wonderful review....thank you for taking the time to share your comments and appreciation! It is really rewarding to hear that our efforts to provide "the extras" such as the hot buffet breakfast, wireless & hardwired internet, parking and local calls all complimentary is appreciated by our guests. Our varied and many "green" initiatives are very important to our owners and team members and have been for 20 years! This green evolution is a longterm commitment and our initiatives are being incorporated into the many facets of our business where we can. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our organic products. We haven't yet found a fair-trade coffee that meets our expectations and hence, haven't changed the coffee.

It sounds as if you had a wonderful trip to Kelowna and managed to squeeze in some enjoyable pleasure time on a business trip! Hopefully you will be returning in the near future. Thank you again for sharing your comments.
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

My daughter and her husband rented the Convention room at the Best Western for their wedding reception. They also rented several rooms for themselves and the wedding party. The service given by the hotel staff at the desk and during the reception was outstanding. All employees were pleasant, freindly, helpful, accomodating, neat, clean and cheerful. Our family and the guests were all impressed. One couple experienced a small complication with their reservation and were given an upgrade room as compensation. Thanks BW Kelowna.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased that your daughter's special day went very well and that the staff from all areas provided excellent service! I will take great pleasure in making sure that the team know their efforts are appreciated!

Again, thank you for sharing your comments - it is always appreciated.
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed 2 nights - queen bed standard room.

Reception was very friendly & knowledgeable. All staff I encountered were pleasant.

Buffet Breakfast was good with lots of options - cereals and hot breakfast available.

Room was very nice, clean & spacious. The bed was incredibly comfortable, lot's of good TV stations. There was a desk and plenty of room to place bags and walk around the room.

Bathroom was very clean and modern with nice towels. Came with 2 bath robes to wear during your stay. Shower head worked well.

There was a balcony off our room which had a good view and allowed a nice breeze in. Very good privacy.

The lobby and breakfast room has high ceilings and is very spacious and attractive.

I'm not sure how good the location was as we only stayed 2 days and just caught a taxi, which the hotel would order for us to get to the sports stadium where we watched Ice Hockey - it was only about 10 mins drive.

Overall it was great value for money. And very good for a 3 star hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your thoughts and positive comments about the hotel facility! I am very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel menioned. All rooms have a patio or balcony, some leading into our grass courtyard area. Our location is centre of the city, approximately a 10 minute drive from downtown. We have lots of shopping, restaurants and regional walking parks in the area. Golf, wineries and studio farm tours are available within a 20 minute drive.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Ayr, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I was a little surprised by this hotel experience. Based on all the great reviews on tripAdvisor I expected a fabulous hotel. It was just ok. The room was musty. The renovations were nice but it still looked and felt like an old 70's motel. The breakfast was average. I made sure I didn't spend too much time there. It was located in the middle of nowhere on plastic alley. Downtown was far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Namellor
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments. I am sorry that you felt your stay with us was just average. I understand that you stayed in the standard courtyard rooms which is in our 2 story section - I am sorry if the room smelt musty, that should never be the case. Just so you know, we have many different options of rooms types to suit different needs and expectations so booking directly with the hotel (rather than a 3rd party site) allows us to quiery your needs. All rooms have been renovated and offer patios or balconies which access on the grass courtyard area. Our complimentary hot breakfast buffet is served in our ORA restaurant with a chef's omelet station. Our location is in the centre of the city, a 10 minute drive to downtown and beaches. There is lots of shopping, restaurants and a regional park to walk to from the hotel. Golf, wineries, studio farm tours etc are available within a 20 minute drive.

Thanks again for sharing your comments.
Sidney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here while picking/packing up up our son from UBCO for a night and it was perfect - at the right end of town for convenience with easy access to many shops etc.

We had previously stayed here many times when our son went to a local hockey school each summer, but had not been back for approximately 4 years. So glad that we got in to this hotel for this night as it is even better than it was 4 years ago! We will reserve to make sure we get in each time we visit Kelowna - which will be frequent with our son in the university here.

The rooms are updated and the breakfast is the best for an inclusive breakfast in the area from our experience.
The beds/pillows are very comfortable - important for us with our bad backs.
We were there the night of the college night at the pub, so it was a bit noisy in the parking lot that night, so would request a room not over the parking lot next time - no bigggy.
Was nice to be able to recycle also - not many hotels give you this option and everything goes in to the garbage.
The breakfast was in their restaurant instead of just being in the open area - was a nicer atmosphere. We had omelettes made to order, and had the option of many other hot and cold items. It ran until 10:30am also which was nice since we couldn't pick up our son until 11am, so we could take our time in the morning.
Tea/coffee/juices/milk - breads/sweets - yogurts - scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns (real), pancakes, waffles and omelettes.

Everyone right from the front desk to the restaurant was great to deal with - no complaints what so ever. We will make this our "go to" hotel while in Kelowna.

Room Tip: A room not facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review! Wonderful to hear that our complimentary hot breakfast buffet is appreciated especially with the chef's omelet station! And yes, we are constantly upgrading and modernizing our guest rooms to ensure greater guest comfort and providing a "home away from home" feel. I will be pleased to share your comments with my team!

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your comments and we will look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to see your son!