“Lunch & Dinner”

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 9 November 2017

Hello when we are in Nanaimo this where we go to eat pho and good Vietnamese food. My husband likes numbers 52 or 54 and I eat the beef pho and it is always hot and delicious. This last visit we had bubble tea with dairy and without and they were so delicious - best bubble tea in Nanaimo and area. The food is reasonable and the new decorated walls are appealing. Highly recommend this place for lunch or dinner or take out. Appetizers are good too.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

This is my second visit and I just love this place! It is always full of people (always a good sign). I had the Vermicelli with grilled pork and it was excellent! So good on a cold day! It came with two spring rolls, and honestly they were the best ones I have ever had! Tea comes with your meal.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

It isn't often I write a bad review based on food alone, but this is one of those occasions. Have been here several times and was always happy. But my most recent visit, about 6 months after my last, was a major disappointment. A change in menu and ingredients has lowered the quality. They have switched to highly processed minced meat products in the dish I had - shrimp and pork were unrecognizable. I heard the table beside me make the same complaint. It was very unappetizing. The spring rolls, very good in the past, were very greasy - like food that had been cooked earlier then reheated in oil. There are other and better choices in Nanaimo for Vietnamese. I recommend trying them instead.
On the positive side, the service was excellent and very friendly, as always.

Huong L, Manager at Huong Lan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to dine with us and review our restaurant. I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Our menu has remained the same for almost 20 years in business and we pride ourselves in fresh and quality ingredients. I am curious to know whether you ordered the same dish as your previous visit? I do hope you return, please ask one of our knowledgeable servers to help with any questions or concerns regarding the menu.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

I just moved to Nanaimo from Vancouver (aka the land of one thousand Vietnamese restaurants) and I was happy to find a Vietnamese restaurant in my neighbourhood. I was even MORE surprised that this restaurant is totally awesome. The food was amazing. Also, they serve bubble tea and Vietnamese coffee. I knew the place was good as soon as I walked in on a week night and there was a 20 minute wait for a table! Make a reservation or get takeout.

Thank you for your review, We are so happy that you enjoyed our restaurant and look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed 2 September 2017

Visited Huong Lan twice this summer, both times for dinner. On our first visit the food was good. Second visit (August 17th) not so much. I had the #54, a vermicelli dish with grilled pork and chicken. Both the pork and chicken were of poor quality, and were also decidedly overcooked. The vermicelli was only barely there, hardly any in the bowl. Two mouthfuls and it was gone. There was, however, lots and lots of iceberg lettuce in that same bowl. I suppose that's how they keep down their food costs. The fish sauce disappointed as well. Not much flavor, and there wasn't much of it. (A tiny cup of sauce) Overall, not what I go out to dinner for. Apparently they have just raised prices on everything on the menu. $6.50 for bubble tea? Seriously?