All reviews older hotel harbour view downtown nanaimo queen bed location is great we've stayed front desk staff central location vancouver island worcester theatre ferry walkway victoria bc
Reviewed December 9, 2007

This place was strange. I had the smallest room I have ever had in a hotel. You litterally opened the door, nearly hit the bed, crawled over the bed to the window and then there was a bathroom. The staff wasn't particularly help and did nothing about the drunk guy from their lounge hitting on women in the lobby(while he was still holding a drink). I'll go back to the Coast across the street next time.

Date of stay: August 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank coffeechik
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I booked a two-night stay for a weekend getaway before a week of work in Vancouver. Having read the other reviews here, I was expecting a mixed experience, and that is what I got. Paid $110/night corporate rate (and got a comment at the front desk how "cheap" it was).

The check-in was inefficient, in that I had to wait several minutes to be served, as they were trying to explain everything in great detail to another guest.

My room was quite nice, but rather small. The bed was very comfortable, and most of the furniture was in good shape. It was surprising to see torn fabric on the two chairs, however.. The lamps were all new IKEA ones with CF bulbs. Lots of channels on the TV. No air conditioning (not sure if this is a problem in this particular location) but a fan was provided. The bathroom was standard, but again, relatively small.

I knew I'd be back in the early afternoon, and despite the "please make up room now" sign being out, my room had not been cleaned.

The wireless Internet is horrible! During the day and evening, the signal would drop to zero every few minutes, requiring a new connection.

There is only one small elevator, which could become an issue. I usually used the stairs. The hotel hallways are long and narrow, in keeping with the older building.

Breakfast is not included at this Best Western, but the restaurant downstairs serves a good variety of items at reasonable prices. The quality is very good.

For dinner I'd recommend Tania's right next door.

Parking is free and availability not too bad if you arrive early, but on the Saturday night I got the last spot in the two lots next to the hotel. They will gladly reimburse you for use of any of the other public pay lots in the area.

Overall, not an unpleasant place, but if you are more into modern hotels, then this is not for you. In that case, stay next door at the Coast Bastion instead.

Tip: do not park your car before unloading luggage. Go to the Church Street entrance, unload there, then go park.

Date of stay: August 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank okazon69
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My partner and I stayed here last minute overnight on our way to Tofino and were pleasantly surprised. We booked through Priceline and paid $92 as opposed the $135 rate we were quoted directly through the hotel. It's in very quaint central Nanaimo in the 'downtown' area where you feel like you're walking through some historic scene. It's literally steps to several restaurants, shops and to the Marina which is quite lovely. Our room seemed to have been recently upgraded and we were impressed for a Best Western. The rooms are a little tight, seems the scale of furniture was too large for the rooms, although we got through it alright. The service was good and the rooms were clean and equipped with everything you could expect. We would definitely book the BW Dorchester again if in Nanaimo.

Date of stay: July 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2007

The Dorchester is a sound hotel. It is clean and roomy with all you would expect. The location is good in that it is yards from the harbour and the marina and dead handy for getting the ferry link over to Horse Shoe bay. Nanaimo itself is fairly quiet, there was a sprinkling of bars and restaurants and the "odd" club, and when I say "odd" I mean ODD! Some major development seems to be taking place in the town front this may or may not help the place as some of the buildings are out of place to the feel of the town, such as the 60 floor sky scraper plonked down at the harbour ? bizzaar! Anyway, getting back to the hotel, its fine, stff helpful and let us store our bags while we mooched around the half empty streets waiting for the ferry. Oh by the way the Nanaimo bar is great and a must with a coffee! Thats about it really, in summary good hotel in a convenient handily placed two bit town with some charm. Oh and the shopping centre is a throw back to the 70's but better than nothing! Good luck!

Date of stay: June 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Stayed here several days while attending a conference. Room was fine, staff very friendly & helpful.

Date of stay: May 2007