Buccaneer Inn(Nanaimo)
US$151
US$113
US$56
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$62/night.

US$151
US$105
US$79
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$91/night.

US$140
US$128
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$167
US$156
Painted Turtle Guesthouse(Nanaimo)(Great Value!)
US$61
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
All reviewsolder hotelharbour viewdowntown nanaimoqueen bedwe've stayedgreat viewfront desk staffcentral locationone night stayvancouver islandworcesterbwtheatreferrywalkwaybcshampoo
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business trip and couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. The lobby in beautiful, my room looking over the water was just amazing and most importantly clean. The bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet.
I can foresee a concern for some because it was above a road with a bus route and being so close to the water, around 7 am I started to hear a lot of traffic and the planes taking off from the water. So if you were planning on trying to sleep in that would have been annoying, but I had to get up early so it didn't bother me.
The breakfast the next morning in their restaurant was very good with the highlight being the farm fresh eggs. The service was excellent as well.

• Stayed: February 2012
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at this hotel. I'm glad to hear that our valued staff made your experience a good one and up to your expectations. Although the hotel dates back more that 100 years and comes with the challenges and charms of a bygone era, the ownership constantly upgrades the hotel to meet todays expectations. We hope to see you again on a future visit to our city. Thank You again for letting us know.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

If I were to stay in Nanaimo again, I would stay here, but only because it seemed to be the best of what is offered in this town. The service was fairly friendly, but they were confused, including the manager. One elevator was out so we waited quite a bit to go to our room.

The room itself was reasonably clean, but the whole hotel felt shabby.

It is however, VERY convenient. There are many shops, coffee places, bookstores, and a few restaurants in a quaint little street right outside the hotel. Out the other entrance takes you to a waterfront promenade.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank irving250
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We've stayed at the BW Dorchester a couple times when there has been no other choice. The last time we passed through was the same as the first:

We arrive at the hotel around 1am just off the ferry at Duke point. Despite our calling in to say that we are arriving late for reservation, the clerk asks us questions through the locked glass door (on the harbour side) before letting us in, then after letting us in, he goes through a song and dance about the need for security. Gee thanks, am I to take it that my lovely wife and I with our roller luggage and car keys look sketchy at 1am?

Next we get to our room, right next to the ice machine -- despite asking in our advance reservation explicitly for this NOT to be the case. I would not be complaining if we were paying $99, but the price was more like $179. What kind of room do we get for that money you ask? Well it opens right onto the corridor -- no separation -- and is jammed tight with a bed, a desk and a crappy little TV. I doubt there is 3 feet of margin to maneuvre around the bed. You practically have to stand on the bed to get undressed. And if you do that you see the dust and dirt built up on top of the ledges. Yech.

The one thing that I was happy with: the windows open.

Otherwise, not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Thinkwire
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I always enjoy my stay at the Dorchester. The service is friendly, the hotel is clean and in the heart of the historic downtown part of Nanaimo near lots of interesting local shops, restaurants, government offices, theatres, galleries, etc. and not far from the ferry to Vancouver. The restaurant is reasonably priced with good service, good food and a wonderful view of Nanaimo Harbour. Yes, the hotel is not your usual, cookie-cutter hotel but it is a well maintained historic building with modern upgraded rooms. As for the traffic, after business hours there is very little.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I thought the price should have been more like $99. But we paid $ 149 before taxes (or almost $ 200) We were down the hall from some load party that no one seemed to controll, but the breakfast was a great, older building but well kept. Poor parking but close to every thing down town.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pop machines and on the third or fourth floor
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple