“Nice Boutique Hotel with New Renovations”

Best Western Dorchester Hotel
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 April 2008

This is a nice hotel located in Downtown Nanaimo with friendly staff. I love to stay there because of the location to my work place and new renovation. 32" LCD Tv is very nice in the room. If you are planning to stay in Nanaimo, I strongly suggest you this hotel for you with harbour view room.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank LC6688

Reviewed 6 March 2008

Never Again! Avoid this hotel unless you are into bugs. Yes, I got bitten by bedbugs and had a rash for over a week. I complained to the manager but was told that it is not their fault guest bring them in. Very rude manager. I was late for the ferry and didn't bother to take it any further. The renovated restaurant floor squeaks like a rubber duck as you walk on it. The parking was horrible too. Next time I will listen to my friend and stay at the Bucaneer motel. Best rates, good quality rooms(not overpriced like dorkchester) and the staff is awesome!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank venger
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We just walked in to the hotel and they found a room for us. If I would have done some checking first, I probably wouldn't have chosen this hotel. For the price, the room was much too small. I guess it has a great location but I was just passing through and didn't care much for the location. The bed was very comfortable but it took up most of the room. The hallways were narrow and had to negotiate another flight of stairs to get to some of the rooms. That is a hassle if there are large suitcases. And we did have large suitcases.

Overall, probably won't go back even if we are in the area.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank KingWhale
Reviewed 9 December 2007

This place was strange. I had the smallest room I have ever had in a hotel. You litterally opened the door, nearly hit the bed, crawled over the bed to the window and then there was a bathroom. The staff wasn't particularly help and did nothing about the drunk guy from their lounge hitting on women in the lobby(while he was still holding a drink). I'll go back to the Coast across the street next time.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank coffeechik
Reviewed 19 August 2007

I booked a two-night stay for a weekend getaway before a week of work in Vancouver. Having read the other reviews here, I was expecting a mixed experience, and that is what I got. Paid $110/night corporate rate (and got a comment at the front desk how "cheap" it was).

The check-in was inefficient, in that I had to wait several minutes to be served, as they were trying to explain everything in great detail to another guest.

My room was quite nice, but rather small. The bed was very comfortable, and most of the furniture was in good shape. It was surprising to see torn fabric on the two chairs, however.. The lamps were all new IKEA ones with CF bulbs. Lots of channels on the TV. No air conditioning (not sure if this is a problem in this particular location) but a fan was provided. The bathroom was standard, but again, relatively small.

I knew I'd be back in the early afternoon, and despite the "please make up room now" sign being out, my room had not been cleaned.

The wireless Internet is horrible! During the day and evening, the signal would drop to zero every few minutes, requiring a new connection.

There is only one small elevator, which could become an issue. I usually used the stairs. The hotel hallways are long and narrow, in keeping with the older building.

Breakfast is not included at this Best Western, but the restaurant downstairs serves a good variety of items at reasonable prices. The quality is very good.

For dinner I'd recommend Tania's right next door.

Parking is free and availability not too bad if you arrive early, but on the Saturday night I got the last spot in the two lots next to the hotel. They will gladly reimburse you for use of any of the other public pay lots in the area.

Overall, not an unpleasant place, but if you are more into modern hotels, then this is not for you. In that case, stay next door at the Coast Bastion instead.

Tip: do not park your car before unloading luggage. Go to the Church Street entrance, unload there, then go park.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank okazon69
Reviewed 6 August 2007

My partner and I stayed here last minute overnight on our way to Tofino and were pleasantly surprised. We booked through Priceline and paid $92 as opposed the $135 rate we were quoted directly through the hotel. It's in very quaint central Nanaimo in the 'downtown' area where you feel like you're walking through some historic scene. It's literally steps to several restaurants, shops and to the Marina which is quite lovely. Our room seemed to have been recently upgraded and we were impressed for a Best Western. The rooms are a little tight, seems the scale of furniture was too large for the rooms, although we got through it alright. The service was good and the rooms were clean and equipped with everything you could expect. We would definitely book the BW Dorchester again if in Nanaimo.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2007

The Dorchester is a sound hotel. It is clean and roomy with all you would expect. The location is good in that it is yards from the harbour and the marina and dead handy for getting the ferry link over to Horse Shoe bay. Nanaimo itself is fairly quiet, there was a sprinkling of bars and restaurants and the "odd" club, and when I say "odd" I mean ODD! Some major development seems to be taking place in the town front this may or may not help the place as some of the buildings are out of place to the feel of the town, such as the 60 floor sky scraper plonked down at the harbour ? bizzaar! Anyway, getting back to the hotel, its fine, stff helpful and let us store our bags while we mooched around the half empty streets waiting for the ferry. Oh by the way the Nanaimo bar is great and a must with a coffee! Thats about it really, in summary good hotel in a convenient handily placed two bit town with some charm. Oh and the shopping centre is a throw back to the 70's but better than nothing! Good luck!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple