All reviews older hotel harbour view downtown nanaimo queen bed location is great we've stayed front desk staff central location vancouver island worcester theatre ferry walkway victoria bc
Reviewed February 23, 2006

We stayed only one night because upon check in:
1. There were pubic hairs found on the pillows
2. There was another pubic hair on the bathroom wall
3. There was what appeared to be a large urine stain on the underside of the bedspread
4. The heater/fan did not work
5. The window was stuck open (with no screens)
6. We were kept awake until 0200 by drunk people shouting outside our room (apparently a common occurance according to the front desk clerk)
7. When we complained to Best Western, they refused to re-imburse us or even offer another night at a different Best Western location.

We immediately moved to the Coast Bastion across the street and had the most beautiful room!

GROSS GROSS GROSS. Save yourself and do not stay here.

Date of stay: February 2006
12  Thank markandcyn
Reviewed August 14, 2005

Good location just across the street from the scenic harbor. Rear exit leads to the water, front doors lead to downtown shopping and dining. Staff was friendly upon phone reservations but pretty curt and unfriendly in all face-to-face contacts. The lady stationed at the front desk from late afternoon to early morning had a hard time looking up from her novel. Large, two-room suite for our family of 5 with partial water view. Very old building and our floors were significantly sloped as were the hallway floors. Dated carpet and furnishings. Bath was clean but quite old. Nice windows that open wide and two portable fans but no a/c, which was a surprise. Fans in hallways, too, which were dark and hot. Fine for a short stay but too pricey for the run-down condition. Very limited parking in lot but available on the street with some circling. Although we had to pay for breakfast, it included huge portions and good service by restaurant staff. We stopped in Nanaimo on our way to Tofino. Very little for a family to do in Nanaimo. Nothing interesting happens at the waterfront and most of the restaurants and stores nearby are focused on singles and couples, with little to offer families. Best choice would have been to exit the ferry and push another hour or so to Port Alberni. Beautiful waterfront, friendly people, open markets, etc.

Date of stay: August 2005
7  Thank spa11
Reviewed July 25, 2005

Very, very clean; historic building with modern updates. Fabulous views of the harbor and water...could only be improved by an exercise facility.

I compared all the other tripadvisor reviews and picked this one, I would definately stay again. Be sure to request a water view.

There is a great local coffee shop/cafe around the corner and a nice restaurant across the street.

Close to the ferry...and the drive to Victoria is easy.

Unless you find parking in front of the hotel on the street, the hotel's parking lot is a bit awkward as it is around the corner from the main entrance to the hotel; although the parking lot is fairly well lighted, the short walk along the street to the hotel entrance with our bags was dark. We arrived late at night, so I don't know if valet parking is even offered, my guess is that is not.

The photos I've attached are from Room 311..nice corner room.

Date of stay: June 2005
4  Thank Travel_0002
Reviewed July 21, 2005

My husband and I spent one night at the Dorchester in Nanaimo in a "junior suite" on the third floor. The room was pleasant enough and we were happy to find a little fridge we could use. The service upon checking in and out was pleasant and helpful too.
In the night I woke up with painful burning itching on my hand and assumed it was a mosquito, though I didn't hear one. But in the morning I had 25 bites on my left knuckles and forearm and even more on my upper arm and shoulder - the side which is in contact with the pillow and the bed when I sleep. Also just a few on my other arm/shoulder, back and the backs of my knees - I rolled on my back for a bit when my hand woke me up. The bites did not look or feel like mosquito bites either and I don't get rashes. Bedbugs bite like this.
After returning home, I called the general manager and told him to check for bedbugs. He seemed a little uncomfortable and said they have a pest control man come and spray the rooms once a month, so there shouldn't be any problem. I suggested he have the man check specifically for bedbugs as they could be in the pillow or deep enough in a crack in the bed to avoid the spray. He said he would and thank you for calling, still sounding uncomfortable and wanting the conversation to be over.
Hopefully there is no longterm problem but next time we're in Nanaimo, we'll stay somewhere else.

Date of stay: July 2005
14  Thank Expedition19689
Reviewed June 27, 2005

We landed at the Dorchester after spending a week up island. We paid much more up there for much less. The accomodations at the Dorchester were great. Clean, great views, in the centre of things and most of all very reasonable. A very nice dining room where we had a fab dinner. We did find that the shops rolled up early in Nanaimo which was a little disappointing but no worries. And a pool would've been nice. This is a good hotel and like I said we paid much more in the north island for a dingy 70s style room.

Date of stay: June 2005