All reviews older hotel harbour view downtown nanaimo queen bed location is great we've stayed front desk staff central location vancouver island worcester theatre ferry walkway victoria bc
Reviewed March 25, 2006

The Best Western Dorchester in Nanaimo is the best kept secret on the Island. The hotel rooms are cozy, clean and comfortable. The staff are the greatest! The restaurant is light, spacious and fabulous. The view is the best. And the hotel is within walking distance of anything downtown, including the mall and the casino.

2  Thank BCnative
Reviewed March 7, 2006

Hotel desk staff seriously SCREWED UP and put a couple of strangers in MY room! This happened while I was out of MY room, biding my time between a wedding and the start of the reception. I nearly had a heart attack when I opened the door to MY room and saw a man sitting calmly on the sofa in MY room. A woman was lying on MY bed! Who are these elderly people??? They looked suspiciously like the bride's grandparents .....what are they doing in MY room?
The hotel staff did not take responsibility for their error, consequently the manager told me that I MUST HAVE LET THESE PEOPLE INTO MY ROOM! I nearly died of fright and got nothing but brushoffs and rudeness in return. Stay away!

Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank Wingedspirit
Reviewed February 23, 2006

We stayed only one night because upon check in:
1. There were pubic hairs found on the pillows
2. There was another pubic hair on the bathroom wall
3. There was what appeared to be a large urine stain on the underside of the bedspread
4. The heater/fan did not work
5. The window was stuck open (with no screens)
6. We were kept awake until 0200 by drunk people shouting outside our room (apparently a common occurance according to the front desk clerk)
7. When we complained to Best Western, they refused to re-imburse us or even offer another night at a different Best Western location.

We immediately moved to the Coast Bastion across the street and had the most beautiful room!

GROSS GROSS GROSS. Save yourself and do not stay here.

• Stayed: February 2006
12  Thank markandcyn
Reviewed August 14, 2005

Good location just across the street from the scenic harbor. Rear exit leads to the water, front doors lead to downtown shopping and dining. Staff was friendly upon phone reservations but pretty curt and unfriendly in all face-to-face contacts. The lady stationed at the front desk from late afternoon to early morning had a hard time looking up from her novel. Large, two-room suite for our family of 5 with partial water view. Very old building and our floors were significantly sloped as were the hallway floors. Dated carpet and furnishings. Bath was clean but quite old. Nice windows that open wide and two portable fans but no a/c, which was a surprise. Fans in hallways, too, which were dark and hot. Fine for a short stay but too pricey for the run-down condition. Very limited parking in lot but available on the street with some circling. Although we had to pay for breakfast, it included huge portions and good service by restaurant staff. We stopped in Nanaimo on our way to Tofino. Very little for a family to do in Nanaimo. Nothing interesting happens at the waterfront and most of the restaurants and stores nearby are focused on singles and couples, with little to offer families. Best choice would have been to exit the ferry and push another hour or so to Port Alberni. Beautiful waterfront, friendly people, open markets, etc.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank spa11
Reviewed July 25, 2005

Very, very clean; historic building with modern updates. Fabulous views of the harbor and water...could only be improved by an exercise facility.

I compared all the other tripadvisor reviews and picked this one, I would definately stay again. Be sure to request a water view.

There is a great local coffee shop/cafe around the corner and a nice restaurant across the street.

Close to the ferry...and the drive to Victoria is easy.

Unless you find parking in front of the hotel on the street, the hotel's parking lot is a bit awkward as it is around the corner from the main entrance to the hotel; although the parking lot is fairly well lighted, the short walk along the street to the hotel entrance with our bags was dark. We arrived late at night, so I don't know if valet parking is even offered, my guess is that is not.

The photos I've attached are from Room 311..nice corner room.

• Stayed: June 2005