All reviewschurch streetolder hotelharbour viewdowntown nanaimoparking lot isqueen bedgreat viewfront desk staffcentral locationone night stayvancouver islandworcestertheatreferryvictoriabcshampoo
Reviewed February 4, 2018

We were fortunate enough to have selected the BW Dorchester to host a special birthday reception. Nick, the Catering Manager, was stellar to deal with from the planning stages, to collaborating on menu and seating plan to the execution day off. The dining room space was elegant and airy and offered unobstructed ocean views, the service throughout the event was too notch, the food service was very good. I absolutely would recommend the Dorchester for a private leisure or business function!!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2018

Dear Leah N,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm glad to know that your party was successful and our staff served you well.
It's a great honor to hear such a compliment about our staff, and I'd be happy to share your comment with Nick and the rest of our team.

Will look forward to welcoming you again at any time in near future.

Reviewed January 27, 2018

We booked a room here via Expedia, it didn't quite meet our expectations. The room we booked was supposed to have a queen sized bed in it - the bed is slightly bigger than a double, and not very comfortable. The toilet rocks from side to side when using it - it needs to be bolted down properly, and the bathroom sink is plugged up. The thing that really bugs me is the security deposit they take at check in, it's twice the amount of the room cost. I don't get this! I'm not going to use the mini bar, due to health reasons, and I'm just using the room to sleep for the night. While they remove the hold after you check out, it still takes over a week for the money to be returned to your credit card.

The pluses to this hotel is the location. It's right across from the Bastion, overlooking the waterfront. On a nice day, you can go for a walk along the waterfront pathway. In the summertime, there are more boats docked at the marina, but the winter, only a few fishing boats. It's proximity to downtown, The Port Theatre, etc, is great. We were working a show at VIU, so this hotel was easy to get to. The room is a decent size for us, as we both need to set up our computers to work, plenty of room for that.

Because we were limited for time and didn't want to drive around the city too much, we had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. Both were really good, and, Wilma, our server, was a riot. Great customer service from her! After breakfast, we asked for a coffee in a 'to go' cup, to bring up to our room, she told us to just take the mugs from our table and leave them in the room when we go. She is a treasure that this hotel needs to keep.

I would stay here again, due to the proximity of where it is to the places that we come here to work at. I just wish the security deposit wasn't double the room cost and that the toilet didn't move when used.

Stayed: January 2018
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2018

Dear ellymae,

Thank you for taking your time to write us your experience with us. On behalf of our team, I'd like to apologize for the issues you've informed us. We'll fix the toilet and sink issues immediately and will make sure to proactively perform preventative maintenance.With regards to the security deposit, it's due to the smoking policy of $200 penalty and damage deposit which we cannot avoid as of now, but we hope we can try to remove the policy in near future. The best we can do would be when you check out, we can manually cancel them to expedite the cancellation of the hold. Of course, it varies by bank policy how long they're held. Hope that will resolve the issue at this time.
I also appreciate for your compliment of our staff and I'm glad that you've liked your food in our restaurant. We're working on adding more varieties on our menu in the restaurant, so please feel free to try out our new Chef's new menu on your next visit again.

Reviewed January 22, 2018

Although my stay was only 2 nights, I found this place to be quite a little gem located close to everything. Upon my arrival which was later in the evening due to travel delays, I was greeted by a friendly smile and great customer service. My room was already ready to go, so I asked if it was a harbor view (which I strongly recommend) as requested at time of booking and sadly it was not, however they did have an option available for me and I got my harbor view. I did not eat at the hotel so I cant comment on the food, however the cleanliness of the hotel was immaculate. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: request harbor view
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2018

Dear James C,

Thank you very much for taking your time letting us know how great your stay with us was. I'm also glad that our staff was able to accommodate your needs so that you were able to enjoy our picturesque harbour view rooms and met your expectation. Hope you could try our restaurant on your next stay and provide us how you liked as well. We'll look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Nanaimo and once again, we appreciate your stay with us.

Reviewed January 7, 2018 via mobile

Fantastic and friendly staff . Clean, quaint rooms overlooking the famous Nanaimo harbor and sea wall. Right down town , close to everything, Has that old time warmth’s feel of belonging to something great. Where the staff is truly there to enhance your stay. When you leave ,you walk away feeling refreshed and relaxed knowing you can always come back to get away! The Best all around staff of all the different hotels I’ve stayed at in Nanaimo.
To the staff, management and owners, well Done! And see you again soon!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank chrisy105
NanaimoResponse, Front Office Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and your great feedback is much appreciated. I'm glad to know that you've enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope we can accommodate you again in near future.

Charlie Li
Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2018

This hotel is a smaller, intimate type of place, at least it feels that way. We have stayed there every year for the last 3 or 4 years for New Year's Eve with another couple. We find it much nicer than the huge, crazy busy hotels, the desk clerks make your experience so personal, we will continue to stay there and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
NanaimoResponse, Front Office Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2018

Dear guest,

Hope we can accommodate you again in near future.

Charlie Li