“Great Service”

The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
“Great Service”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I went to this hotel with my family and I was very pleased with the service and quality of the hotel. The rooms were clean and a good comfortable size for all of us. The staff were very accommodative and very helpful in giving us suggestions for activities for the family. We will surely go back next time we visit Nanaimo.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Bobby P
Christina250, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel Nanaimo, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Thank you for sharing your family vacation with us, and providing your feedback Bobby P! Our staff are always encouraged to hear the results of their exceptional service from a satisfied guest. We look forward to your next visit to the island!

Christina
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We were somewhat disappointed in this property. We booked one of the newly renovated rooms and I'm glad we did as I don't know if I would have enjoyed staying in one of the older rooms.

Regarding amenities, I found the hotel to be slightly below average.

Our room looked out onto a rock wall. The room was clean and relatively spacious. I have to agree with some of the other reviews that the hallways are dark and not inviting. The pictures on the website are somewhat misleading as they make you believe that the hotel is far more high end than it really is.

I also found the rate at $169 per night to be a little steep for the quality of the property. Bear in mind this was for the refurbished room so I don't know what one of the older ones may have cost.

We did get free Internet with the rate so that was a bonus.

All in all, it was adequate, but I certainly wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: If you book, be sure to get a renovated room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank OneOldSage
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience SageGuy.

We are glad that you were happy with your room on the newly renovated club level .  The rooms at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden and rock wall are often requested by business travellers because they tend to be very quiet.  City view rooms looking towards Mt Benson are also available.

Nanaimo room rates tend to be higher during the summer season, but we frequently offer special promotions and offers on our website. We always recommend checking our website for the latest promotions, or being part of our email contact list so that we can email you our latest offerings. As the only hotel in North Nanaimo with an indoor pool, in addition to having air-conditioning in every room, our summer season is usually a busy time for the us. So be sure to book early to take advantage of special offers.

We welcome the opportunity to exceed your expectations next time you're in town!

Christina
Guest Relations Manager
Port Hardy, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2011

This hotel has the elegance that it deserves...It looks rich, feels rich and has very friendly staff that are attentive to every detail.

What a difference from your usual visit to a hotel.

We were tired and ready for a bed after waiting out BC Ferries and their two ferry waits common to the summer tourist and we had no reservation so we had to stop and ask here and there for a room...

We found this hotel off the beaten path just up the street from the highway and what a "find".

I would recommend this hotel from the rooms to the food.

Thank you!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tripadviser15
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience Tripadviser15! We are glad you enjoyed your visit, and welcome you back again soon!
Quesnel, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This hotel was terrible... you book it thinking it's a great hotel due to the price, but it's NOT. Once they take your money for the room, they nickle and dime you to death with internet rates, parking etc.. NOT WORTH it. Don't book it. They claim to be the best, and they are NOT.. very cheezy place.. decor was out of date for the price, not nice at all.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lynn F

Travellers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Couldn't have asked for more in terms of the great service. Food was terrific - breakfast, lunch, tea, and dinner. Comfortable and clean rooms. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank GLD_van
Fort McMurray, AB
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting family. The only positives I can think of is the central location and the larger room. We booked the Maple Suite- supposed to be the nicest, but was very dissatisfied....
1. Cheesy 1991 decor; this hotel has not been updated since it was built. Gross worn out carpets (didn't want to walk around in bare feet), faded art prints and hard lumpy furniture.
2. Hall ways were dark and gloomy- so poorly lit I could hardly see anything
3. NO ICE MACHINE. We called the front desk and asked where it was. They said we could get some from the bartender downstairs. They offered to send some up, but it never showed up. My husband had to go down and get some after 20 minutes. Lame.
4. EAR WIGS infestation in bathroom. Ewwwwww
5. Disgusting bedding. Like thin, worn, stained sheets. Thread bare blankets. And the grosses polyester bed cover. Lumpy beds and pillows.
6. Incompetent staff: we checked out early (5 am) to catch a very and we had to wake up the desk clerk from the back room.

Please, please, please: don't be fooled by the Grand name or lobby. The rooms are gross and uncomfortable, and the staff uncaring and uninterested in making your stay decent. Save your cash and stay somewhere else!
Please, please

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SunPrincess9000
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Stayed at the Grand while visiting Nanaimo to see some friends and to experience Bathtub Weekend. I have noticed the Grand before and decided that it would be a good home base. And it turned out to be a GREAT home base.

The rooms are well finished, probably nicer than any hotel I've been to in Nanaimo. They are comfortable and functional (and my friends thought it was quite nice too). The location is pretty ideal for someone that needs to cover a lot of ground in the city. Close to good restaurants (Cactus Club is a personal favourite). The in-hotel restaurant looked pretty good too!

The staff at the hotel really seemed to care. They were attentive and friendly and got me extra towels for my friends when we wanted to use the indoor pool. There was a nice garden out back too. Oh and there was underground parking which you NEVER see in Nanaimo.

All and all I thought it was nice. Being on vacation was good, and I definitely could see how it is a good hotel for conducting business. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends