“Not impressed”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Went with a large group of friends and ordered from a set menu. Caesar salad starter was simple and uninspired. My steak was lovely and served as ordered. The vegetables were rubbery and tasted as though they had been frozen. Not much flavour and watery and the green bean were inedible. For dessert we were given an assortment of small squares of boring cakes. Cafeteria style.
A previous visit three years ago was similar.
We will not be returning.

1  Thank Paul K

Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

Went for the view got that. Food was nothing impressive pretty sparse and plain. Service definitely lacked and tip was put of pity really as waitress was ready to pop. Went about three years ago and remembered why I didn't go back for three years. Probably won't go back.

2  Thank Travellots30
Reviewed 30 April 2017

Yesterday, due to the fact it was the last of tax season for Don, I treated him to a lovely dinner in a restaurant we drive by every day but have never tried before. It is a Greek Restaurant and was it ever first class.

We were greeted at the door by a lovely gentleman and seated by a window. When we first arrived, we were almost the only ones there but within minutes, it was pretty full.

The menu is awesome and you really had to look it over, not once but several times, to make a decision. Our server took our drink order and asked if we had made a decision. We decided to share the Sambuca Shrimp and, of course, I requested no onions on the top. We were dipping our bread into the sauce. Sumptuous! Our girl, Gabby, was so attentive from that moment with whatever we were ordering and, believe me, it is appreciated.

Don ordered that Lamb Chops with rice and vegetables with the tiniest potatoes ever and I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu with a baked potato and vegetables. The sauce was incredible on my dish and we both almost licked the plate.

Do you think we are done? Not a chance. Don ordered the Baklava with a sauce. I ordered something called the Chocolate Eruption Cheesecake. Oh my, oh my. The chocolate eruption is a mile high and so, so, so delicious. It really should be shared by two as it is huge. All in all, this restaurant is one great treat.

What is so unique with this establishment is that all the servers (young women) help each other out without being asked. It was like watching a ballet in motion. All served so smoothly, efficiently and professionally assisting each other.

When we were leaving we chatted with the gentleman at the front. He was the owner and his two sons worked their second restaurant. This restaurant has been operating for more than 20 years. It is spotless with beautiful snow white tablecloths, candles lit the moment you are seated and a calm ambience. Okay, this is my new 'date night' establishment to go to. The prices are less than one of the big burger joints in town. Gotta love that.

2  Thank Bonnie W
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Both times we have been here, the place seemed pretty empty. Probably because we prefer to eat early. So we enjoyed that it wasn't crowded.....though you can't tell from the outside, It's a nice atmosphere inside there, borderline elegant, (for Nanaimo!), live flowers, twinkling little candles and white tablecloths ect., and our service there was quite excellent overall. Nice, interesting menu, and though a little pricy, the food we ordered was indeed delicious. The deserts were really nice! Good wine list. I'd say this is a win win choice for a special occasion dinner if you are in the neighborhood. Stumbling distance to our favorite, conveniently located Motel.

1  Thank kindred_traveller
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

We wanted a nice quiet place for a very special evening and Zougla didn't disappoint. We were there on a Monday so it was very quiet and we were able to get a nice booth away from the crowd. We spend a lovely two hours eating until we couldn't move. We had two starters. The spanikopita and a delightful cheese which we greatly enjoyed. The lamb was superb and the sides delightful. We tried these interesting ice cream balls covered in chocolate with delicious venters for dessert and the baklava. The baklava was disappointing but that was the only part of the meal that was. It was the perfect place for our evening. Thank you!