“Good breakfast”

Coming Home Cafe
Ranked #23 of 293 Restaurants in New Westminster
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: It's like coming home, we cook, we brew, the rest is up to you! Coffee and tea is self serve as is the rest. Come in and have KickAss Coffee and meet the cousins you never knew you had!
Reviewed July 24, 2018

We have been repeatedly at the “Coming Home Café” in uptown New Westminster. When we visited that place for the first time we were surprised about the very limited number of tables, that we had to wait for quite a while despite it was quite early. The atmosphere and behaviour of the staff is, I would call it, family like (not so much distance and straightforward speech). Everything is kind of simple: There is no printed menu – the items are written on the wall and all tools, drinks and sauces has be taken to the place by the customers. The items are prepared in a very small kitchen by just one or two people, which results in considerable time until the ordered items is ready. On the other hand, this longer wait times were an indication that the meals were made fresh. During our visits we ordered several different things, e.g. “Becky” (2 poached eggs on toast, with ½ avocado and a small salad), the “Uptown” (2 scrambled eggs, meat, hash browns and toast), “Heart Attack” (baked cheese, eggs, meat, hash browns with sauce hollandaise) and “Eh’Scape Benny” (Black Olive Waffle, Tzaziki/Cream cheese, spinach, olives, sundried tomatoes + garlic scopes). The hash browns are not the “classical” hash browns (made from shredded potatoes) but a kind of pan fried diced potatoes with meat and onion. Most of the dishes tasted ok. I just didn’t like the sour taste of the hash browns which allegedly came from the added lemon juice. I also found that the amount of sauce hollandaise (had to be ordered extra) was too little. The price is in the moderate to medium high range. It is certainly not a mistake to visit that place once in a while, alone because of the special atmosphere there.
3.5 out of 5

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed April 29, 2018

I tried breakfast @ Coming Home. The food was great & the staff were super friendly. Only 2 little points...they only accept cash & they can't make crispy hash browns. I'm going back the next time I'm in New Westminster!!!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

I love to find little local places when I am traveling and that is how I ended up here. Great atmosphere and the food was good. Went for a second day and I was greeted by name. Friendly and full. Cash only is a little inconvenient but I'll take inconvenient anytime for a nice place. Good job all.

Date of visit: November 2017
1  Thank TazMcA
Reviewed October 14, 2017 via mobile

Home cooked meal in the city! Great eggs, hashbrowns, sourdough toast and omelet!
Great welcoming feel and friendly personality! Amazing coffee (kicking horse) and best yet London Fog!

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank Tanya J
Reviewed October 8, 2017

This is a very cozy and home-like little cafe. A lot of the menu is written on the wall. Food price is decent, staff is super friendly. I've only been here twice, but this is starting to be my go-to-brunch-place in New Westminster.

Date of visit: September 2017