“Decent burger but...”

Ranked #1 of 14 Quick Bites in Penticton
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Come And Enjoy Flavourful Custom Gourmet Burgers Out On Our Patio And Wash Them Down With A Local Beer...
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Food Network's "You Gotta Eat Here" taped a spot at Burger 55 the week we were in Penticton. My other half and I have always wanted to try something featured on similar food programs, so we took the opportunity to pay a visit.

We walked to the establishment at 85 Westminster Avenue at about 5:30 pm on a Friday night. It was not at all busy - only one other person was waiting for his burger when we walked into the tiny little box of a place to order. (I won't bother talking about the "build a burger" or ordering process; that has been sufficiently covered by other reviewers.) We had looked at the burger55.com website beforehand and knew that our "taste" wasn't going to be cheap, so we actually only ordered one to split between the two of us: the 55 Hot N' Spicy for $9.25 (over $10 after taxes).

The verdict? It wasn't the best burger either one of us had ever had, but it was a very good burger, triple A angus beef and all. (Incidentally, off the top of my head, better burgers that we've had included the 16 ounce Gutbuster from Rufus and Rory's Diner in Charlottetown and an inexpensive homestyle burger that we had at the Great Escape in Valemount.) I think it'll be a 50/50 chance that any of you reading this will truly think it is the best you've ever had. (It might depend on whether you're a burger fan to begin with and how adventurous you've been in the past about burger consumption.) The fact that you pay ten bucks - or close to - for a burger that is handed over to you in a foil wrapper with no "sides" included (i.e., fries) will either influence you into thinking that it's better than it is, or it might set you up with such high expectations that they can't possibly be met.

And just like the Big Mac that you get at McDonald's looks nothing like the one that you see on TV, the burger that you get will not look like the six inch tall version shown in one of the pictures on their website. Yes, this burger is substantial and tasty, but whether it is really worth four or five times a $1.99 BK "King Deal" Whopper on Wednesdays is a question that you'll have to ask yourself.

The bottom line is that if you're the sort who doesn't mind plunking down big dollars for burgers and fries, go ahead and have the "experience". I don't think you'll be disappointed. On the other hand, if the thought of paying a restaurant meal's tab for what amounts to fast food is somewhat disturbing to you, don't bother. It won't be worth it.

Date of visit: September 2012
5  Thank Boromach

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Used to be a regular. It's been a year now since there burger quality has suffered. They use to have very flavored meat patties and now taste like a superstore frozen burger. This time both my wife and mine were burnt. The owners were great but now there rookie staff forget to put on the extra PAID for toppings. I think they need to reinvent their patty and remember that Wendy's sells subpar burgers at the third the cost and half the time. Won't be back.

3  Thank Ryanlivestotravel
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Small venue. Excellent service. Outstanding food. Gluten Free service. Great variety. Location is good and central

Date of visit: September 2012
1  Thank Fran W
Reviewed September 12, 2012

All I can Say, is Jeremy needs to revisit. Best burger I've ever had. Made the way YOU want it. A must go to if you love burgers!

Date of visit: August 2012
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have been burgering for years, and was rather disappointed to find in my own home town a joint like this, definately the dive in the DDD. I wish I was aware of this rating scale a couple years ago. there burgers are dried out hunks of meat, with ideas that are ripped off from a many of burger joints that I have frequented across the USA and Canada. About three years ago I took my kids for a burger to this little cesspool ( a health inspectors nightmare ) and ordered a burger with olive paste on it, proceeded to eat my burger, and broke my crown moulding on a olive pit. I returned to burger 55 where I was treated with complete disrespect and they acted as if my issue was of no matter to them. They assured me the olive pit was not in the olive paste I ordered on my burger. REALLY..... where the hell did it come from. They took my my name, number, yada yada yada, and said they would look into it. Good job I did not expect any kind of outcome from these young less than professional entrepeneurs ( if thats what they call themselves )
Because three and a bit years later I still sit with half a tooth that I can barely chew steak with !!! Not because I cant afford to replace my tooth but because Im still waiting for that call, lmao..... its only proper.

Karma burger 55........ Karma,.......... ECOLI !!!!!

Not afraid to leave my review,

Jeremy Adams