“Pretty well perfect location”
The former manager homes of Cassiar Cannery's salmon packing days are now self-catered Guest Houses.
Porching is a great way to spend an afternoon watching the world float by out front All the Guest Houses have large waterfront decks made from cedar we milled on site.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Wee one bedroom Coho House is perfect for two!
Living room of three bedroom Halibut House
Deck of Halibut House
Cassiar Cannery is known for having very comfortable beds with plump mattresses and luxury linens
The sitting room in Halibut House with TV/DVD.
Three bedroom Halibut House
All the Guest Houses are well equipped with full kitchens and full sized appliances
Three bedroom Sockeye House has a nice water view from the master bedroom.
The living room of three bedroom Sockeye House is the best for lounging and looking outside
Two twin beds are the middle bedroom of three bedroom Sockeye House
Each Guest House has its own bathroom wihth
Two bedroom Steelhead House can sleep six in with a queen bed in the front and bunk beds in the back
We host a number of experiential programs at the Cassiar Cannery and this building is the event base
Cassiar Cannery - Steelhead House - porching
Did you know the Cassiar Cannery is a train stop with VIA Rail!  Book direct!!
Cassiar Cannery is the longest consecutively operated salmon cannery on the West Coast.
Cassiar Cannery - zen view towards the mouth of the Skeena River
Cassiar Cannery - dawn
Cassiar Cannery - Port Edward Marina - where guests keep and launch their boats - 10 minutes away
Restored, former manager homes from Cassiar Cannery's salmon packing days are now Guest Houses.
Prince Rupert is a gateway to Canada's first grizzly sanctuary and Haida Gwaii.  Excellent wildlife
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 53 reviews

Reviews from our community

alexcZ568...
“Pretty well perfect location”
Reviewed June 28, 2018 for a stay in May 2018

We were there for the cannery tour which included food, lodging and 3 days travel by jet boat to other canneries and places of interest nearby by jet boat. We were in the halibut house and it was splendid. We had it to ourselves and it was possibly overkill. Although we did not need any the cooking facilities were great. Sitting on the deck was totally enjoyable just watching the tide change the direction of flow in the channel. Meals were splendid in the main building and all was close. The house was much bigger than we needed with 3 bedrooms all tastefully furnished. A wonderful experience.

Date of stay: May 2018
29 Jun 2018
Thanks for the lovely note Alex! I'm so glad you signed up to explore these interesting historical spots around the Lower Skeena River! We love hosting these events so thanks for coming! Hope to see you again, Justine
88KA88
“Fun & Friendship ”
Reviewed June 10, 2018 for a stay in May 2018

Our group attended the Womens Rejuvenation Retreat in May, it was great fun, the Guest house we stayed in had one room with 2 bunkbeds, bunks very comfortable and another room had a queen size bed, each bed had a down duvet, there is a full kitchen & bath, little sitting room, and a great sun deck and the train that rocks you to sleep over all everything we need. Chief Nadia made outstanding meals always a surprise. We made silk scarfs, did Skeena River mud facicals, yoga, meditation, big canoe adventure and took part in a cooking demonstation. We had a great time and made new friends. Like to thank Justine and her team for a fun time everyone on your team does a great job at giving everyone a great experience.

Date of stay: May 2018
12 Jun 2018
88KA88 - thanks for the lovely review! I had a great time with the ladies. These retreats are fun! Hope to see you on your next trip to the coast!
Justine
Jstfun
Vernon, Canada
“Magical”
Reviewed November 12, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

This was my second trip to the Cassiar Cannery, and I can assure you it won't be my last. Justine and Marc are the greatest hosts, their love, and passion for maintaining this little piece of paradise and history shines through in all the care and attention they give to this special place. The cabins are so comfortable and the history entrenched in every aspect of the Cannery. I can only say if you haven't been go, you will not be disappointed in fact it may become somewhere you feel right through your soul. I can't wait to go back again

Date of stay: September 2017
13 Nov 2017
Jstfun! We were looking forward to your trip and meeting your friends and family! I don't think I'll ever forget our jet boat trip - that was one for the books. We are looking forward to seeing you again and if we pop through the Okanagan - let you know! Justine
dentheman...
Prince George, Canada
“For a Unique Place to Stay, consider the Cassiar Cannery”
Reviewed September 1, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I stayed at the Cannery by myself on a business trip in Prince Rupert this week. My intention was to find something a little off the beaten track and different from the usual 'room, bed, tv'. I wanted something different!

On my journey to the cannery I followed the directions provided by the staff. The windy road past Port Edward eventually led to the North Pacific Cannery and from that point forward it became quite 'wavy' and windy. At the end of the road was what I thought was quite a poorly marked finish... the Cassiar Cannery. It simply had a yellow gate across the railroad tracks with a 'private property' sign on it. If I had no directions beforehand I would have turned around and left at that point because it just did not appear to be a place that was welcoming to others.

I opened the gate and proceeded in and saw a man walking toward me. He seemed friendly enough, saying his name was Mark. He told me where my place was and that the only thing to know was to 'not go on the dock'. I found this quite disappointing as there was really nowhere else to go. He said it was quite run down and was hazardous, which I totally understood. Its just too bad, because it is an extremely alluring landmark and when there it just has a sort of pull that makes you want to proceed onto it.

The beauty of the place can be described as desolate, rugged, natural beauty. The shared deck at the back of the duplex I was staying at was very nice. I really loved the fact that the ocean is only meters away from this deck, with seagulls, herons in your backyard.

Mentioned above is a description of the beauty of the place, which ruled above all. The cabin I stayed in was stocked with a stove, full sized fridge, water cooler (thank goodness, as the water from the taps is tea coloured!), bed, barbeque, tv and dvd player. The tranquil setting was rejuvenating after a day of work, not bad to come back to. I would not, however, recommend this for a business trip. The lack of adequate wifi and total lack of cellular communication does not jive well with business. This coupled with the very loud (and close) train that barrels through 4-8 times during the night, making for a disruptive sleep. When working daily, this disturbance is frustrating. I think this would be a nice place to come to unwind and recharge despite this. My only concern other than the train is that there really is very little to do... walk up and down each direction of the train tracks; go to the NP Cannery in the day; sit on the deck. Tranquil, rejuvenating... absolutely. Just can't see doing this for more than a day or two, that is, if its not pouring with rain, which I think is quite common.

A couple of suggestions on making this place into a GREAT place to visit. I really think if the dock cannot be fixed so that its safe, a new one is badly needed. If people had a way of mooring their boats at this location, you could be guaranteed year round solid rentals. I am sure this would be a huge undertaking, but it would not need to be an overly fancy dock. If one could cast a line off from the dock, this would be enticing for all ages. The provision or rental of ocean kayaks would make this place a destination. Can you imagine working the day to come back to your room so you can take off for the evening in the kayak? WOW.

Lastly, these sundecks need a section where you can sit when it is raining. I found when it was wet I needed to head indoors, which is not why I would come to a place like this. Sitting under a cover while the rain comes down would provide a magical experience that would make this special place so much more comfortable.

In a nutshell... very nice, unique experience all week in this great place. Great to unwind, not great for work accommodation. A few minor to major changes would make this place much more functional and deserving of higher ratings. Enjoy!

Date of stay: August 2017
2 Sep 2017
Dear Denis:

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. You have many great suggestions - especially a covered area on the sun decks.

You may or may not be familiar with the back story of our time at the Cassiar Cannery. Now in its 128th year, we arrived in 2006 to a place that was so messy and run down that it scared off professional property cleaner-uppers. For the past 11 years, we have worked tirelessly to clean up the site and get it back on its feet. It is far from perfect yet, but we work on making it better every day. To date, we have focused our restoration efforts on the buildings on land. We spent our first year clearing off the 5 acre dock as it was totally covered in debris. We have some good photos on our website cassiarcannery.com in the gallery section under Clean Up. Historically, the canneries put in 50,000 board feet a year of wood. I wish we could do that! I'm happy we have a little sawmill now because we are making inroads.

Technology is also slow to catch up in the North, particularly more rural locations. We do have satellite internet that is available to our guests. It is far from perfect itself with its own restrictions but better than dial up! We've installed a free phone in the phone booth with a long distance package. Cell service is 10 minutes up the road.

One takes on a massive liability when taking responsibility for people's boats. Many of our guests have gorgeous boats and the combination of the the big tides on the North Coast with the water pouring out of the Skeena River creates huge current, which brings down enormous sweeper logs from the river, barreling down Inverness Passage. I'm OK with having our little boat hung up on a log but Mark would never sleep a wink worrying about people's boats. The Port Ed Marina, 10 minutes up the road, is safe and secure and the boats do not get damaged there.
We don't provide kayaks or a canoe because - if you are not experienced - you could be in big trouble. We have partnered with a local guide who we recommend to our guests to match the level of difficulty with people's experience to the right area. The North Coast has cold water, big tides and strong currents. We manage that risk for our guests by matching them with a local professional guides who knows where to go according to each person's ability.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback. Justine and Mark
Lauren B
Edson, Canada
“The Cassiar Cannery is the perfect mix of moden amenities with the historic charm of the past.”
Reviewed July 13, 2017 for a stay in June 2017
person found this review helpful

The Cassiar Cannery is the perfect place to stay in the Port Edward/Prince Rupert area. It is the perfect mix of modern amenities with the historic charm of what used to be the pride of the North Coast. We have stayed here 2 times now & we have already booked our next visit for next July. Justine & Mark are the perfect hosts & amazingly friendly! If you need literally anything they will make it happen! Everything feels very much like home there from the incredibly comfortable beds to the dogs hanging out on the deck! This place is a little slice of heaven and a perfect 10! Perfect for fisher-people or people just looking for a serene place to relax & literally "get away from it all." Plus you're only about 10 minutes from Port Edward & maybe 25 minutes from Prince Rupert, but it feels like you are secluded on your own island away from everyday life! They do have the train tracks that run through the property and there are about 4-6 trains a day/night, but in my personal opinion I think they add to the charm! Railways used to be the only means of transportation & shipping of products when Cassiar was a working salmon cannery! This is the perfect place to stay on the North coast and we cannot wait for our next visit!!!!

Date of stay: June 2017
14 Jul 2017
Lauren! You guys are the very best of the best! So happy that you found us this year and we are looking forward to seeing your family next year already. Hope you have a great year and maybe you'll squeeze in another trip. Rather oddly - November is a phenomenal month for photography. The light is incredible and you can watch the storms move along the water out front - plus there are some really high tides which is very cool! Until next time, Justine and Mark
Marie C
Prince Rupert, Canada
“My experience surpassed all my expectations; best ever...hands down!”
Reviewed June 12, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

The location is very private, the scenery unbeatable! Updated historical cabins set you back in time with everything one needs, including laundry facilities. Barn swallows swoop down to perch on the edge of the deck, song sparrows sing from nearby trees, while blue herons fish at the water's edge. High tide waters may lull one to sleep in the evening.The host are very accommodating and friendly. Note: dogs are not welcome. Trains pass by a few times daily so if children are joining you, be vigilant of their where-abouts!

Date of stay: May 2017
13 Jun 2017
Thanks for the lovely review Marie! We tried so hard to have dogs but after one of our dogs was mauled by wolves, they became really protective of their homestead against other four legged critters. We had a great time during Ecology Week 2018! Thanks for coming and see you next time ~ Justine
Linda S
Kamloops, Canada
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed May 14, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

I also recently visited on a women's rejuvenation weekend. I expected to have a great time, but I did not ever imagine how great of a time! Justine is an absolute gem! I have never met someone so genuinely caring.She is by far the best host. The cabins were so clean and beautiful.Justine's husband,Mark, did a wonderful job restoring them! The beds were very comfortable. The views from the deck are incredible.
Cook Nadia and Miss Ella made us the most delicious meals! cook Nadia even gave us a packed lunch to take with us,when we left. We offered to take her home but she graciously declined.
Yoga and meditation was very enlightening, which was done by none other that Justine's own beautiful mother Jennifer. Silk scarf making was an absolute treat!
The big canoe ride another fantastic journey.
I felt and got treated like royalty.
Even their dog Kuma, was a gracious host.
I met some pretty amazing ladies while there.
Sadly I did not do a spa treatment, which I intend to do on my next visit.
Clay masks were awesome!
I am already planning for next year. Which I hope to bring more family and friends.
A place I would highly recommend! You will be blown away!

Date of stay: April 2017
15 May 2017
Linda! Thanks so much for leaving such an awesome review! We had such a great time on the April retreat. Looking forward to meeting more of your cousins next time. Hope to see you soon, Justine
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.