All reviews flush toilets hot water her husband full hookups camping experience chopped wood great facilities big hill close to town stayed for nights long weekend wonderful hosts saturday market milton lynn playground tent
Reviewed May 5, 2018

This is one of the best campgrounds we've ever stayed at. So well laid out, each site
being special in it's own way, private, nestled in the forest and no glaring city lights.
The washrooms and showers are the cleanest we've ever encountered. The hosts
were lovely, so helpful in every way., they even gave us a tour on a little red golfcart.
Which we absolutely loved, I have to get myself one of those. You can tell they take
a lot of pride in the way the campground is taken care of. Talking to others who were
staying there when we were, their very happy and had extended their stay, as well.
Being in a central location, It's not to far to get to town to enjoy the restaurants and shopping. They have a bus that drops you off right across from their driveway too.
We will be telling all of our friends about Mowhinna Creek campground and the wonderful place you have to offer.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
ikyle2016, Owner at Mowhinna Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2018

Dear Campers,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
As an owner it is wonderful to hear our managers are doing such a great job.
My apologies in taking so long to respond, I don't know how I missed such a great review
We look forward to seeing you again!
Best Regards,
Ian

Reviewed March 15, 2018

The manager Lynn was very welcoming, she let me pick a nice quiet site to stay in by
the creek. It is way down in a ravine, but you could still hear it . Her husband Milton
delivered a box of wood, that I purchased for later on in the evening. So after I went to visit and have dinner with my friends who live on the island. I came back to my site to enjoy the solitude & my fire. I would highly recommend anyone to stay at Mowhinna
Creek campground, if you are coming to the island. You won't get a better experience,
I checked out the others and they sure leave a lot of appeal at their websites only.
I will be back, seeing as I have retired from the mainland to the gulf islands, now.
I hope you have a good summer and keep up the fine work. Your bathrooms are the
cleanest I've ever encountered.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
ikyle2016, Owner at Mowhinna Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2018

Lynn and Milton work very hard to make everyone's stay as good a camping experience as possible.
We look forward to seeing you again soon
Best Regards, Ian

Reviewed January 7, 2018

From the moment we drove in we new we had made the wrong choice. We had booked for 2 adults and 3 children. We had a tiny site that we were told we weren't allowed to back into which made unloading all of our tenting stuff challenging, as we have a truck with a canopy on it. Once we finally got all of our stuff out we noticed there was a tiny table with two chairs beside it. Why they wouldn't have a picnic table or atleast have enough chairs for a standard family is beyond me. The site was so small and dark and had inappropriate seating so the only thing we did at the campsite was sleep.

There is a sign that states gates close at 10pm. So we were visiting with family offsite and made sure we were going to be back before 10pm. We were at the gates at 9:53pm it was pitch dark and we are unfamiliar with the area, so we slowed down knowing we were getting close to the entrance, when we saw the sign we were maybe going 60-70km/hr, and we were watching but there was no gate up which was good because it was still before 10pm. All of a sudden we hear a huge smash so loud we thought we had hit someone on a bicycle or something. All of our kids are crying and scared, so my husband gets out to see whats going on. Well they had put their "GATE" up early! And it wasn't even a GATE it was AIRCRAFT CABLE and it was not visible it was down below light level and we have a truck. This is extremely dangerous and is more of a "trap" than a gate. There is no way anyone could see this coming in, and the fact that they put it up early makes the situation all the more dangerous. We drove down the hill slowly because the speed limit is 5 km/hr and by the time we got down the hill it was then only showing as 9:57pm on the clock, iphone etc. We got out and then the man and woman who run the place were coming out of their trailer. They were in their trailer, so they must have put the "GATE" up atleast 15 minutes early. Why on earth they would do that is beyond me. My husband told him what happened, and basically he didn't say a word he was mad and drove up the hill on his golf cart. No asking if we were okay, or how our truck was or anything. He was more worried about his aircraft cable trap than his customers. There was no offer to help fix the damage done to my husbands new truck or anything.
We are well travelled, and have camped all over Alberta, and British Columbia for the past 10 years and have never been to such a terrible campsite before. Save your money, your vehicle, and your experience and stay elsewhere. Cedar Beach Resort is amazing, the only reason we stayed here instead was that Cedar Beach was already booked up, funny how that would happen.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
ikyle2016, Owner at Mowhinna Creek Campground, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2018

Hi Dee,

Thank you for your response.
I have talked with the Managers regarding your visit and there are some very large discrepancies in the timelines and occurrences.
Your visit was in July 2017 and your review was Jan. 7, 2017 ?
Upon arrival you were offered your selection of the available sites and you chose the site in question and then tried to jockey in backwards up hill around a corner into the site. A maneuver that is counter to the traffic flow and that has in our experience resulted in damage to the road and customers vehicles. After you were asked not to do this you were again offered a site that might suite you better but you declined and said you liked the site. The site you chose is one of the few sites we have that offers full protection from the summer sun. We have many others that offer partial shade or full sun with picnic tables. The larger RV sites are power and water sites for $5 more per night. We can provide more chairs upon request but many of our guests bring their own camp chairs.

Our entrance is a right angle access to the highway with a posted speed limit of 50 km/hr and our road has the speed limit of 5 km/hr posted 3 times along the route to encourage a slow and cautious approach for the safety of children and to keep the dust down. We would not encourage a slow down to an approach at 60-70 km/hr.

The driveway was secured with a cable drawn across with flagging attached. This cable is one car length in from the entrance. Following this incident the cable was repaired and full high orange plastic security fencing was attached. The force required to break this cable it two places must have been extreme and we are glad no one was hurt. To say that no asked if anyone in your party was hurt is incomprehensible given that both of the onsite Mangers are retired paramedics and that would have been their first concern. I made a point of inquiring of this with the Managers and Lynn recalls specifically asking you about your condition and welfare. I can only surmise you were too distracted to remember because she tells me you confirmed that all of your family was "OK".

The timing of the gate closure was also a point of interest. When you came down to the Office at 10:08 and compared your cell phone with the Managers there was a conspicuous difference until the settings of your phone were investigated and adjusted and then your phone matched the Managers phone? I admit this is a little beyond me and seems to be splitting hairs.

The real concern for me as an owner is the safety of our guests.
I have taken this incident seriously. For the last 12 years it has not been a problem and now that it has happened we will be installing a steel gate that hopefully will not be run into.
I commend the actions of my managers for looking after our guests and promptly increasing the visual barrier at the entrance.

We have consistently received lovely positive feedback from most of our guests and look forward to finding ways to improve our campground.
Cedar Beach Resort is just that - a Resort. They offer a different type of camping experience and we often refer people to them and visa versa. They are a delightful group of people who manage it. We often read each others reviews and note the responses of their customers for future reference.

All the best and safe travels,
Ian

Reviewed August 22, 2017

We stayed at Mowhinna Creek Campground in August '17. The grounds were well kept and clean, and the bathrooms were clean. There was a large dish washing sink for tent campers, which was within a short distance of the bathroom. Not unhealthily close, but convenient for washing up after using the washroom.

The campground had only a few hookup sites, and seemed to cater to families with children, and bicyclists touring the island. The proprietors were very helpful and vigilant about keeping dust down from too fast drivers, dogs on leashes and faithfully picked up after, and any kind of noisy disturbance.

I would recommend this campground and plan to use it if we return to Salt Spring Island.

Room Tip: for hookups, site 17 is best
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

We are glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable.
If there is anything we can do better please let us know.
Customer feedback is important to us.

All the Best, Ian

Reviewed August 15, 2017

mowhinna campground

My wife and I stayed here in our pop-up Alpine Chalet during a weekend in July.

PROS:

i. The sites are clean and large. It was very easy to back into our site and set up. Most of the sites are lightly shaded, but the ones across from the playground are more open.

ii. Close to Ganges, the main hub of Salt Spring Island. We cycled into a town a couple of times... took us less than ten minutes BUT it's all downhill in and all uphill back. Be prepared to work to get back.

iii. The showers and bathroom facilities were of a high standard and always clean. The 'outdoor' toilets are actually flush toilets which was a nice surprise.

iv. It's a quiet family-oriented facility. There were no rowdy late night revellers. (That said, one night I could hear some sort of country rock music coming from the direction of Ganges well into the evening. Possibly a concert in town with the acoustics carrying the noise uphill?)

There is fairly large playground area in the open.

v. The hosts were friendly and clearly enjoy their role. They do an excellent job of maintaining the grounds and facililties.

CONS:

i. The hosts strictly enforce the 5 kph speed limit in the campground for the safety of children. Not a bad thing, but it's hard to go so slow. That's barely walking speed... my vehicle pulls itself along without gas faster than that. One day I came in screaming at a full 8 kph(!) and was busted by the host and exhorted to slow down.

That's not a complaint really... there are children around and it doesn't hurt to be overly cautious around them.

FINAL COMMENTS:

An excellent place to stay... this will be our preferred location when we come to SSI.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Mike,
I'm glad your stay was a good experience.
Sometimes vehicles are going slower than they appear and yours was likely the case.
It's a no win situation trying to control the speed of traffic going down hill. People on vacation simply don't expect our speed restrictions but the dust on some days can be considerable and not obvious to the driver. We do apply dust control to the road to reduce this but it's only effective at slow speeds. Don't feel targeted - I've been busted by Milton too. The children are indeed the biggest concern and they are so unpredictable.
I appreciate your honest input and I hope someday to get your full five star approval.
Always be assured we want you to let us know what we can do better.
Best regards, Ian