“Unforgetable experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tla Ook Cultural Adventures - CLOSED

Tla Ook Cultural Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the ancient forests and paddle traditional dug out ocean going canoes with our local First Nations guides. Learn about Nuu-chah-nulth history, cultural traditions and legends in beautiful Clayoquot Sound.
Bussum
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Unforgetable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We went out to Meares Island with Gisele, in the canoe made by her father and uncle. We went over undersea meadows, we saw bald eagles, anemonies, sea stars, fish, jellyfish before we got to the island. The visit to the island was incredible. Gisele is so knowledgeable about the plants, wildlife and as she is a member of the first nations, she knows all about native art, mythology and traditions. Words cannot really describe this experience: I've never learned more during an excursion than this one with Gisele. We've seen orcas in Victoria and went on à great whale watching tour in Tofino, but the trip with Gisele was one of those unexpected treasures of our vacation and I will really cherish the memory of this experience.

3 Thank Sophie70Bussum

santa barbara, ca
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent guide, beautiful relaxing outing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We had a wonderful outing with Tsimka, who is a knowledgable and respectful member of the Clayoquot people (sorry for the incorrect spelling). The paddling in her father's dug-out canoe (which he made) and the walking on Meares Island were a highlight of our trip to Tofino. I recommend this to anyone who is interested in First Nations people, BC history, beautiful ancient trees, or just being out in nature in a natural way.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank Rochelle A
Nice, France
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Unique and fantastic experience you should not miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We spent a wonderful day in the company of Gisele and Joe Martin learning about their culture and enjoying stories told in an engaging and fun way. Our 3 adolescent kids were enchanted by the walk on Meares island and learning about what was around us in the forest. Gisele was full of interesting information and was a great guide. Joe kept us entertained with local song (mainly to keep the oarsman in time I think!) and stories including the creation of the mosquito! Would absolutely recimmend thisvtrip if you are lucky enough to make it to Tofino.

4 Thank mjt001
giselemaria, guide at Tla Ook Cultural Adventures, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Ahoy! It was fantastic to have your family out with my father and I the other day. Thank you for writing about your trip with us. Enjoy the rest of your travels! -Gisele
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“An unforgettable day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

I've done several tours in Tofino in the last 10 years ranging from whale watching to kayaking to hikes. This was my first time with Tla-ook and it was by far the best tour I've done. Gisele Martin, our guide, is an encyclopedia of knowledge about the area and its history. Her skills on land and water are pretty awe-inspiring - and she has a beautiful singing voice! We so appreciated her honest and kind reflection of the First Nations experience, there's just so much tourists don't know about the rich history of the area. I've been to Meares Island a few times now, but this was the first tour where I felt I actually learned something valuable. I can't recommend the Tla-ook canoe tour enough. Thank you, Gisele!

Visited June 2011
3 Thank TDub11
dana point california
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Tla-ook Cultural Adventures - great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2.5 hour canoe paddle with Maria, our excellent First Nations guide. She made our trip interesting and wonderful despite the rainy and foggy weather we were experiencing during our trip. She stopped and talked about the wildlife and history of the area, even sang some beautiful Indian songs as we paddled. I would recommend this trip to anyone from 5 to 95 years of age!

3 Thank rewirement