The Wickaninnish Inn is truly a treasure on the Canadian hospitality landscape. The setting is second to none, with gorgeous, peaceful and calming views out to the ocean and beach. Being from Calgary, our family has many times been in the area as campers during the summer months. It has always been on my "bucket list" to spend a few days at the Wiki during the winter storm watching season. It certainly met and even exceeded our expectations for both a three day stress buster and a Romantic getaway all rolled into one: indeed, I will not simply cross it off my bucket list but rather, add a "do this again" memo. Yes it is pricey (with the unfortunately excessive BC taxes, the room rate was about $550.00 a night). Normally I am averse to paying those kinds of rates for accommodations as on typical holidays, one is out exploring most of the time and really using the hotel room predominantly for sleeping. However, this situation is certainly an exception in this regard as you do spend quite a bit of time in the room itself. As with the rest of the facilities at large, the rooms are beautifully appointed but without being ostentious (which we hate) and with obvious care and respect for the environment. All details are attended to and the staff are low key but extremely professional and helpful.
Do not come here, particularly in the wintertime, if you are looking for thrills, excitement and a lively night life. This is a very rugged area of the world (all the more reason why the existence of a world class hotel in this off beat neck of the woods is so very enticing!). Part of the charm and appeal, in fact, is that there is very little to do. We would recommend securing a rental car, however, as it gives guests more freedom to explore the coast and the nearby villages. Be aware that many of the businesses in both Tofino and Ucluelet are closed during the winter months and reopen on March first, according to the signs on the doors. Bring your own rainwear but if you don't, the Wiki provides rain coats, pants and boots. There is spectacular hiking both nearby and along Long Beach--these merit a whole separate review. Our days consisted of long daily walks, indulging in some spa treatments and yoga in the fabulous Ancient Cedars Spa, curling up with a blanket on the deck with a book or movie and listening to the surf, taking walks in the towns and enjoying dining both in the restaurant at the hotel and in the towns. All in all, a superb, low key relaxing break from the usual stressful pace of life.
On a final note, to optimize our time here over the short three day weekend, we opted to take a flight from Calgary to Vancouver and then the Orca airline which services the more remote areas of the west coast. The six seater flight was an adventure in and of itself but we left Calgary at 8 am and were in Tofino by 1 in the afternoon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wickaninnish Inn, a Relais & Chateaux property since 1997, overlooks the Pacific Ocean from a rocky point on Vancouver Island’s rugged west coast, near the eclectic town of Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park. Two contemporary cedar buildings, set against a backdrop of ancient rainforest, boast an extensive local art collection (complemented by the neighbouring wood carving shed), and all rooms and suites offer ocean or beach views, gas fireplace, soaker tub and individual balcony. Uncompromising service, including a Clefs d’Or Concierge team, is a standard. The sole resort on Chesterman Beach, Tofino’s longest at 2.5km/1.5mi, the Inn is home to refined West Coast cuisine at The Pointe Restaurant and naturally-inspired treatments at its intimate Ancient Cedars Spa. Tofino’s McDiarmid family welcomes you to this locally owned, world renowned sanctuary offering Rustic Elegance on Nature’s Edge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca so you can book your Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wickaninnish Inn And The Pointe Restaurant Hotel Tofino
- The Wickaninnish Hotel And Pointe
- Wickaninnish Inn And The Pointe Restaurant Tofino, Vancouver Island