3,483 results
All reviews great room surf club the penthouse the cottages oceanfront room hot tub long beach surf shop surf lessons continental breakfast beautiful resort ocean front granola bottle of wine gas fireplace laid back salmon
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Right on one of the best surfing beaches, this lodge is well-appointed, extremely comfortable and relaxing. The included continental breakfast was more than enough to cover us off for most of the day. The restaurant in the evenings was very casual yet offered super food at reasonable value. We found the young staff to be very pleasant and full of life.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are probably worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug_and_Linda
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed and played in one of their 20 2-bedroom Rainforest Cottages that line the path to their spectacular beach-front lodge. I must say, if you want a place that has everything for every picky-patty and snobby-steven than this is the place for you. If daily bald eagle visits, larger than life trees or beaches littered with sand dollars don’t spin your wheels the new Surf Club surely will. Long Beach Lodge is the only resort to offer surfing on site and it was definitely worth it. Our package included a customized 2.5 hour surf lesson, candid surf portraits taken by Marcus Paladino , topped off with a steam and soak in their sauna and epic in-ground outdoor hot tub. Tofino’s spell will have you booking your next trip by the end of your first day.

Here are my best tips! See you there!
1. Put the iPhone down and bring a decent camera. The sunsets, rainforests and whales will have you questioning whether you should quit your job and become a photographer for National Geographic.
2. Eat like calories don’t exist at least twice: Tacofino‘s fish taco’s, Wildside Grill‘s spot prawn, Caffe Vincente‘s breakfast sandwiches and anything from Shelter, Sobo and Chocolate Tofino are a must.
3. Get a surf lesson your body will thank you. If you aren’t staying at Long Beach, Surf sister and Bruhwiler Surf School both rock in our books.
4. Bring a board game in case of fog or rain. The co-op Hardware store in town has a nice selection if you forget. Don’t buy Quelf. It’s nothing like Cranium and will cause more drama than an episode of Jeremy Kyle.
5. Buy groceries, booze and anything else you might need in Port Alberni or Vancouver.
6. Get gas on the island before you go (it’s always .10 cheaper)
7. If you start thinking about moving to Tofino and opening your own surf shop, make sure you spend at least 1 week there during storm season before selling everything you own.
8. Bring a great pair of hiking shoes (and be prepared for any type of weather). Pacific Rim National Park is not to be missed.
9. If you drive a Fiat make sure you have a spare tire.
10. Meditate. Even if you think you suck at it. It’s easier here.
Thank you everyone at Long Beach Lodge Resort for making our stay amazing (especially Taylor our amazing surf instructor). See you in 2013!

Room Tip: Cottages have their own hot tubs! the views from the Ocean Front Suites are to-die-for
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank olimaughan
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Long Beach Lodge has the advantage of having a most gorgeous view, a beautiful building, one of the most fantastic in-room bathrooms I have ever seen plus has the beach in the backyard. They have also recently opened up a Surf Club which offers some great services.

The only problem is that there is no service... not if you don't look like a rich retiree anyhow.

They advertised as "pet-friendly" but the site keeps things fairly vague until you book your room, where you find out afterwards that the only pet-friendly lodgings are the ones that cost approximately $450 - $500/night. They kindly offered to "bump me up" to which I declined...I felt it should have been up front on the website.

Further, 2 minutes after check in, we go in the room and there are dirty dishes from the previous occupant lying around, to which I called the front desk, and to their credit came up and removed the dishes, but did not offer a re-check or re-clean of the room. She simply picked up the dishes and left. I would think that staying at a place that touts itself as luxury and first-class, that at least an offer of a re-check would be made.

Then there was the dining experience. Again. Food quality was fabulous... service was lacking. The first day, it was fine. The buffet continental breakfast was freshly made, delicious and the wait-staff was courteous and efficient at clearing dishes. The next morning, we decided to take a more leisurely breakfast and for the entire 1.5 hours we were at the breakfast table, the dishes weren't cleared or offered to be cleared even a single time.

Then there was the dinner experience. We were provided a seat at the lounge, as if we didn't have reservations, they didn't have a spot for us, which is fine, I understand they're busy. It's just that when we were seated, the waiter took our order, left and didn't say much of anything to us. I simply figured it was low-key, but efficient service.

This was my thought until a few minutes later, an older couple was seated at the table just kiddie-corner to us (as in within easy earshot and direct view) - the waiter (same one) chats them up, is describing in detail all the specials, asks them where they're from, and "oh, what a great choice in wine!" brings them complimentary bread...

Then he brings us our food and leaves us. Not a word.

Finally, after eating dinner, he comes by to pick up the dishes, and when I ask him for a take-out container as I was full, he gave me a bit of a "look" but packed it up. He then asked us if we wanted anything further, like dessert. My partner and I both clearly declined, but thanked him for the offer.

He then ignored us and forgot about us for nearly half an hour. Then I see him look over, realize he's completely ignored us and hurriedly brings us the bill.

Next day, I inquire to the front desk about the spa products they are selling (Full sized versions of what was offered in the room) - they tell me that all their stock was moved to the brand new Surf Club, which also functions as a gift shop.

I go there to purchase some of these items... once at the surf shop I'm informed that they don't have ANY of the products from the main desk and that that particular line of products was never meant to be sold in the gift shop.

Further, aftermath, when I received the auto-generated "Please rate your stay" email from Long Beach Lodge, I detailed all of these incidences and have not even received an acknowledgement response back.

It is a pity, as the staff have such a beautiful building and product to work with, but choose to treat certain people like third-class citizens.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sangu1ne
Squamish_7, General Manager at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer and Readers,
I want to apologize to this guest, for the drop in service they experienced here on a recent stay at Long Beach Lodge. After some investigation I can see how some confusion did not start the stay off on the right note. This guest booked via Hotels.com – which does indicate we are a Pet Friendly hotel – I can see the guests concern - as it did appear that the entire hotel would be pet friendly. (We have changed the wording on our Hotels.com listing to avoid further confusion) Because of pet allergies - we do restrict our pet friendly inventory.
I want to assure the guest it was not prejudice that led to the higher price quoted – it just meant there was a difference between the room type that was purchased and the only pet friendly room that was available. Once again I can see how the confusion was created - and we take full responsibility for that it – and it should not have happened.
I was also want to assure this guest and all future guests we will do anything to make sure your stay is enjoyable. In every guest room there is welcome letter from me, with my cell phone number on it. Should you have even the slightest concern at any time during your stay, please do not hesitate to contact it and we will address your concern as quickly as possible

Best Regards,
Perry Schmunk

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Located about 10 minutes from the town of Tofino, this location is the perfect place to stay for a getaway.
The hotel is situation right on the beautiful beachfront.
The rooms are large with its own fireplace. Bed is very comfortable and every morning, the smell of fresh bake bread and pastry flows from the restaurant below and into the room.
The layout and the decor of the restaurant is just perfect for a slow pace breakfast and louging around afterwards for an hour or more.
Dinner prepared by the head chef Liam (from memory) was fantastics. Although we had a bit of an issue with our order. But the restaurant manager and the head chef were nice enough to apologise and comp our dinner.
Overall, we had a fantastic experience in this hotel and would love to go back if we were ever around that area again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed in one of the cottages, and were happy with almost everything about our stay. Food was great, the surfing lessons were great, and the staff was wonderful. Our only complaint is a minor one. The Internet did not work for our cottage, and neither did the cable. If the weather had been better, these would not have mattered, but it was cold and rainy so these would have been nice to have. We borrowed a couple of movies from the front desk, but there was no television in one bedroom and no DVD player in the other, so the kids had to watch in the living room where all the noise was from card playing and conversations, which wasn't an ideal experience. However, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again as everything else was great!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank joolz42
Squamish_7, General Manager at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer and Readers,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. My apologies for the drop in service regarding the internet and TV service during your stay. Sometimes our remote location works both to our advantage and disadvantage. In this case it did take a few hours to rectify our connection to the outside world. We constantly try an upgrade our systems as well as influencing our suppliers to continually upgrade our connectivity.
Once again my apologies and I hope to see you back at the Lodge soon
Perry Schmunk