“A stunning seafront oasis”

HI-Tofino - Whaler’s on the Point Guesthouse
West Hollywood, California
“A stunning seafront oasis”
Reviewed 11 October 2016

ARRIVING FROM VANCOUVER - There are a couple options to get to Tofino from the mainland. Greyhound will get you there from Vancouver, and the fee includes the ferry ride as well. Alternatively, from Downtown Vancouver you can catch the 250 (or 257 Express) along W Georgia Street to Horseshoe Bay, and jump on the ferry ($16.95 per foot passenger). We hired a car once in Nanaimo (on the island) and drove to Tofino. This drive is incredibly stunning and worth doing.

LOCATION - The location of the HI-Tofino hostel is one of the most picturesque spots I've ever seen. With the sea, mountains, and wildlife all around it's hard not to fall in love with this small town. Tofino although small, has so much to offer to any nature lover. We hiked through rainforest trails, bog trails, and spent some time at the beaches where the waves gave amazing opportunities to surf. Having a car gave us the flexibility to plan our day and easily get around. Although the downtown core is walkable, trails and beaches were a bit further out (20km+ or so). The hostel also offers an extensive list of tours and packages, including but not limited to boat tours to the hot springs cove, whale watching, and ever chartered flights to see an aerial view of the area! Wendy at the front desk is a wealth of information and she is more than happy to help out in any way she can.

HOSTEL/AMENITIES - We were blown away. The hostel is gorgeous. It's cabin-like feel made it seem more like a home than a business. It's warmth and cosy common rooms provided ample seating and opportunities to socialize and make new friends. We were in a mixed dorm with 5 beds, and the room was large for hostel standards. The bathrooms and toilets were impeccably clean throughout our stay. The kitchen had everything you'd need to cook and prepare a meal for yourself, and there are lots of awesome restaurants within walking by if you want to dine out! They offer daily bike rentals on site, as well as offer laundry facilities. There was nothing more I needed :)

ROOM - Our room was on the first floor, just off the common room beside the kitchen. Like any hostel, background noise of travellers mingling and having fun went until 11pm. It was not nearly as bad as other reviews made it out to be. The room had large storage lockers you could lock your things into. The bed was comfortable, and they provide a big thick comforter so you'll definitely be nice and warm in the evenings. The bunks were sturdy, and I could barely feel my friend on the bottom bunk below me shuffle around in his sleep.

CHECKING IN/OUT AND STAFF - Checking in and out with Wendy was easy and she provided us with all the information we needed. You can tell she is passionate about HI-Tofino. I loved that this place is so environmentally conscious, and they place a big emphasis on recycling and composting. Other staff members were all very friendly and they made us feel welcome. We didn't get to spend as much time socializing in the hostel as we would like as we wanted to get out into the trails as much as possible, but I will be back for sure.

We came over the long weekend in October, and the hostel had a turkey potluck dinner. It was incredible to see everyone come together. Thanks for a fantastic weekend, and hopefully I'll be back soon! ★★★★★ (5.0/5)

• Stayed October 2016, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Israel
Reviewed 10 October 2016

the total experience of this place is excellent. the staff efficient and kind, the place very clean and so beautiful it's hard to imagine.
In addition to that there is the Tofino experience and view and things to do - that is totally positive as well.
What I mostly used was the kitchen, the information and registration to activities at front desk, and the laundry.
I didn't use the sauna.
Didn't hire bike.

• Stayed October 2016, travelled solo
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2016

First the good, the staff is great they were helpful and nice. The showers were good, especially the family one downstairs, the kitchen is small but well stocked, the view is very nice of the water. What I didn't like was there was not enough places to sit when the hostel was busy, I had one very rainy day there and when I came in the place was very busy and no where to sit. I ended up going to bed at 7 and just reading. The rooms also are quite cramped, in room U, I had to squeeze through two bunk beds to get to a back room.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

I came up to visit the Tofino for just a few days last week. Staying at the HI was amazing! It is a chilled hostel, with very friendly staff! I had no set plans for my stay, the hostel staff helped suggest and organize hikes and things to do in town! I would definite recommend staying, and I will certainly be back!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Beautiful medium-sized hostel in the gorgeous little town of Tofino. Situated at the westernmost part of the town, across from the Ice House restaurant. Beautiful common room with lots of comfy sitting areas, a stone fireplace, and huge windows overlooking the harbour. My 4-bed dorm was enormous with great beds, was spotless, and also overlooked the harbour. Loved the individual lockers, reading lights, hanging hooks, and little shelf for your belongings. Showers & bathrooms were very clean too. Staff were friendly and knowledgeable in booking discounted tours and general knowledge about the area.

The only thing they could improve would be to have more parking spots available. Due to the remote location of Tofino, many travellers get here by car instead of bus, so having more parking facilities would be very helpful.

I loved my stay here!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

This is my second visit with my family and I found that any changes are unnoticeable and that is just fine. It is still a socialable, clean hostel with good staff and interesting guests and significantly the least expensive option for lodgings in Tofino. They provide shuttles to the beach (but we thought it expensive at $24). But everything is expensive in Tofino.
A well-stocked grocery store is within walking distance and even serves hot dishes for takeout, but with a community kitchen back at the hostel you might just want to prepare something there. There is lots of storage for both dry goods and a refridgerator for those items that need to be cold. Missing something? There is a healthy bin of 'free stuff' left by previous guests.
Parking is a bit limited but everyone seems to manage just fine. Nonetheless, the harbour view from the dining and common area is really decent.
We liked coed room (slept our family of 4) 'K' on the second floor (no elevator) right across from the bathrooms and with a harbour view and room 'C' on the main floor that has a two piece bathroom in the room and a shower right across the hall. The view is definitely sacrificed in room C though.
The staff organize events like kayaking and music nights and our adult kids were able to meet up with a group going to Long Beach for a late-night fire. How often do you get to do that? Some kind of awesome.

Stayed August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2016

What isn't to love about Tofino? And the hostel? If you said nothing then you read my mind. Spent Labour Day weekend 2016 here with 2 friends & were immediately impressed with the staff & how knowledgeable they were on the area and you could definitely tell they enjoyed their jobs & interacting with guests. Having worked in Hospitality and hostels in the last 8 years myself I'm always impressed when I find a spot like this thats complimented but staff like at HI-Tofino! Bathroom & dining/Cooking areas were kept very clean, and even free freshly baked muffins to kick off your morning. Prime location right by the waters edge and offering lots of options for eating & drinking around down with several discount coupons for restaurants in the area. Definitely a must stay when visiting Tofino!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room- you wont be disappointed