“awesome location, great accommodations and service!”

and 1 more site!
Ocean Village Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“awesome location, great accommodations and service!”
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Got a coupon "deal" for a half-price, 2-night stay which meant that our options were somewhat limited as to when we could stay which is understandable. We loved that dogs were allowed, and also that they were NOT allowed in certain rooms which meant that my allergic husband could sleep comfortably in a pet free room!

We were very happy with the accommodations, considering the age of the units. The kitchen and bath were dated but everything was clean and functional, also we loved the coffee and the local soaps/shampoo that were included in the room charge. Pool and hot tub were great! The beach and views of course were fantastic. Nice walk into Tofino too!

We stayed in the upstairs unit of the "studio" cottage so the kitchen was a little smaller than in the downstairs unit but still, the equipment was quite comprehensive including cookware. new dishes, glassware, utensils, teapot and coffeepot, salt and pepper... The bed was very comfortable, as was the daybed, and the linens etc. were very clean. Wifi was a bit slow. The downstairs unit was a bit bigger but with the vaulted ceiling the upstairs felt very roomy.

All in all an awesome place, would love to go back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Czech first
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This was our first visit and believe me, not the last. When we received the heartily, friendly welcome, we knew we were going to enjoy our stay. Despite the pouring rain, our cabin was cleaned daily and between the water dripping from their faces, the staff always had a smile and/or a joke to share. A pleasant experience for sure. Thank you

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Ganges B.C.
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I have been going to Ocean Villa since my adult children were toddlers. Now they are grown and have kids of thier own. The best location and always the freindliest staff. They are always the best value in the area. We continue to patronize and always look forward to our stays as do my entire family.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My partner and I stayed at Ocean Village Beach Resort during storm watching season early in 2011 and I must say that it was the most disappointing stay in our many years visiting the Tofino area.

#1 - Studio Suite - the room provided was terribly outdated...Where to start...the carpets, bathroom, furniture all needed replacing 10 years ago. The lack of basic accommodation "must haves" such as enough hot water to fill a small bath, sugar to put in coffee and a wine opener was also an unpleasant surprise.

#2 - Promotion - my posting is not the first to illustrate poor linkage between web based promotions and actual on the ground charges...Unclear and cheeky to say the least!!

#3 - Service - after being treated well upon our arrival we had a most unfortunate run-in with a resort staff member that may be the rudest service industry worker I have ever met in all of my years of travel. Rudeness and disrespect has no business in any resort experience.

#4 Hope - I understand that new owners have purchased the resort and I hope that they take steps to address these issues. The overall experience should match the breathtaking view.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dutch023
Shanejon, Manager at Ocean Village Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 January 2011
Dear Dutch,–

I am sorry to hear of your recent experience here at Ocean Village. We certainly appreciate your feedback and please allow me to address each of your concerns.
1. Studio Cottages – We agree that some of the cottages need updating. As you may know, it has been less than nine months since the 35-year old property was taken over by new ownership. While we've made significant headway; revamping our sizable property requires time. Notwithstanding that some rooms have not yet been renovated, we endeavour to keep our rooms clean, comfortable and affordable. Many of our long-term guests who have been returning for generations and have seen evidence of our efforts, which you can read from their comments on Triadvisor. I do apologize that a wine opener wasn’t in your room when you checked in. That is an oversight. As for sugar, we’ve found in our time here that sugar is rarely used so we simply store some in the office for easy access to guests.
2. Promotion – We advertise promotional prices in the same way as other resorts around Tofino. Currently our Studio Cottages are $115/night (the most affordable on the oceanfront) but our advertised rate is $99/night based on a 3-night stay. If that wasn't what you expected, I do apologize. Generally, our office staff does a great job of explaining how Ocean Village promotions work.
3. Service - I am happy to hear that your check-in process was pleasant but highly troubled about the poor interaction you had with a staff member during your stay. I apologize for this. I assure you that this is not consistent with “typical experiences" at Ocean Village. If you can contact me with specific details I will look into it further.
4. Hope - As staff members, we are all here because we love Tofino whole-heartedly and we strive to help share that love with our guests. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions or comments, or if there is anything I can do to remedy your experience. We "hope" you will return to Ocean Village and that we can improve your experience next time around.

Thanks again for the feedback,
shane@oceanvillageresort.com
Reviewed 21 January 2011

We were there last in the summer of 2009 and I wrote a heartfelt review after our stay. After 20 years of returning to Ocean Village - sometimes twice a year - I was very disappointed with what was happening to our "home away from home". We have just returned from a wonderful stay at Ocean Village. The cabin we were in was fresh, clean and some of the areas that had been of concern, were taken care of. The wallpaper was off the bathroom walls, the walls painted and everything was sparkling. New floors in the living and kitchen area meant that we were able to clean up spills right away, and know it was clean. The staff seemed to care, once again, about Ocean Village and their clients. You certainly can't beat the location - the beach just a minute away from your cabin.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
BC
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I too purchased the Living Social deal and tried to make the reservation but got no response. I went to the website and emailed the address on there and voila! They got back to me right away and I now have a reservation on the first weekend we picked. Today I received a message from Living Social explaining their mistake with an updated voucher, so I can attest to the response of the cabins that the mistake was on the Living Social end, not the Ocean Village end. Cannot wait to stay here, especially after reading all these rave reviews.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We would recommend the ocean village beach resort in Tofino, if you are looking for a relaxing get away. We stayed for 2 nights just after Christmas in one of the upper studio apartments. The views were great and location perfectly situated on the beach.
The room was very cozy and it was great to have a fully equipped kitchette for all our needs. There were plenty of towels soap etc in the bathroom, basically everything you would need for a short or longer stay.
This is the first time we have been to Tofino and although it was winter, we had brilliant sunny days, so we took advantage of the many pictureseque walks nearby. We will definitely go back in the summer for surfing, whale and bear watching.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple