All reviewsrocky beachstudio roomadirondack chairsnice balconywatch the sunthe sofa bedan amazing viewmini fridgeview from the balconyon the rocksupper floorlong weekenddowntown tofinoliving areabeautiful locationbald eaglesstayed for nights
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Yes - we booked a last minute trip over a long weekend - and we did pay a high high price for it. Given the costs, I was expecting the property to be a bit more 'cared for'. The view is tremendous and the beds were good. However, when making the booking (as we were self catering) we expected a BBQ. When we got there we were told the BBQ was stolen - we would have to share from the communal kitchen. This may not have been a big deal - however there were about 40 stairs between the cabin and the kitchen. This resort could be great - it needs better cleaning and maintenance.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Duffin Cove Resort was the pick of the proverbial dart at the map. We had no idea what it was like, or what any place in Tofino was like for that matter, and I can tell you, for what we were looking for, it couldn't have been any better.

It is a beautiful, peaceful place to enjoy the beauty of Vancouver Island. Its close (walkable) to the center of town with food, groceries, harbour, etc.

Our favorite part were sitting in the homemade by the owner Adirondack chairs and watching the sun rise and set and the tide ebb and flow.

When the tide was out the kids would run down and scramble among the rocks and tide pools.

The owners were always walking around, saying hello, and even giving advice on where to get the best crabs to boil on the pot or toss on the grill they provided.

Now, with this glowing review you must wonder why I did not give it 5 of 5 stars, well, simply because I want people reading this review to know what it is. It is not the Ritz, it is not a luxury accommodation where you have your bed turned down with a pillow or gourmet food. What it is was perfect for us. A clean, beautiful location that afforded us seclusion, but access; quiet, but activity; and peace without boredom.

Room Tip: Get the rooms up top by the chairs or, even better one of the two cabins down my the water! (see the pic)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I should clarify my stance on things before proceeding. I recognize that you get what you pay for. This is one of the more affordable hotels in the area, and happened to be one of the few with vacancy at our time of booking. I didn't need anything fancy or luxurious, but I do ask that a place be clean. Our room had probably the best view of any in the place, overlooking the bay. We happened to be there on a rare HOT weekend, which I understand doesn't occur often in Tofino. This was bittersweet, as our room had no A/C, fan, or even a screen for the sliding patio door. This meant two nights of choosing either to cook in a sauna, or get eaten alive by a million mosquitoes. The carpet and bed covers were dated and did not give an aura of cleanliness. The tub did not drain well at all, meaning you were left ankle deep in your own filth while showering. There were a few critters in our room that we had to take care of as well. The man who ran the front desk, who I think was likely the owner, was very friendly and easy going-- I have no complaints about his service. I just feel like the upkeep of the place could stand to improve. Next time I think I will spend the extra money to ensure a cleaner hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Oiler99
Reviewed August 10, 2012

As we had been staying in Ucelet for two days. My husband and I were not ready to leave the area and decided to see Tofino. With this being the High Season time and everybody and the dogs out, it was hard to find any place that we thought might be what we would like for accomadation. Now something that maybe some people are not aware of is many of the hotels and motels have what they call walk in rates. Well that is when you take a chance that you may find a place to stay since you did not make accomadation reservations. This is something that my husband and I had never encountered before. The shock was the people who walk in will pay in some cases almost a $100.00 less than the poor slob who was wise and pro active by booking ahead.
With that said we stumbled across the Duffin Cove Resort, nice views .Well we went in and this lovely french canadian gentleman( Michelle ) assisted us. Not only did he work with us on the cost but also allowed us to look at the room ahead of booking. Many places make noise when you ask to see the room ahead. Nothing fancy but had double bed (little tight), love seat, coffee table, small kitchen area with a bar fridge. Good size bathroom with lots of towels, soaps, etc. Room was clean and tidy, no odors. Small concern with the balcony door as this was our only entrance or exit. The lock was a bit feeble but we worked with the whole deal. The bed was very comfortable except for it only being a double.
The couple who own this spot of heaven were just so nice and very pleasent, they are much like us and look for good pricing when travelling. They were very helpful when we asked if they could keep our salmon in the freezer until we departed as the room only had a bar fridge. This was not a problem. They have told us about how to watch for when the storms should be arriving on the coastal areas. Gave us the pricing for booking at that time of year, big difference. The cove at the bottom of the many stairs is just a beautiful spot for photo taking and we hope to go back come storm season. Older-yes, clean-yes, close by for shopping-yes, not cheap what is in Tofino, this is a place where one must either stay elsewhere or bite the bullet and pay. We paid as the trip was well worth the memories.

Room Tip: Take a cove cabin, the view would be grand.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The floors were not swept, there were ring marks left on the coffee table. I asked for dish soap and they told me to go get some from the Coop. The bedding was clean and comfortable and it is a nice location being right on the ocean, and walking distance to town. I told my kids to leave their shoes on when they were inside the unit. The deck would have been nice if it wasn't covered in leaves and spiderwebs. I won't go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family