Duffin Cove Oceanfront Lodging
Jamie's Rainforest Inn(Tofino)(Great Value!)
US$232
US$222
US$364
US$315
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$352/night.

US$142
US$478
US$426
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrocky beachadirondack chairswatch the sunnice balconyshort walkmini fridgebedroom suitean amazing viewthe sofa bedlong weekendon the rockstide poolsdowntown tofinobeautiful locationliving areawhale watchingspent nights
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We got a nice suite with a full kitchen which was nice. Great view of the ocean and we were able to spend a lot of time on the little rocky beach. We even saw some sea otters!
I have stayed there twice now in the off season and from what I have seen it seems to have the best value for the laid-back type of traveller.
Very friendly service too!
Both times we have walked in without a reservation and received a very good rate.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I'll preface this review by saying I would not stay in Tofino during the high season - rooms everywhere are ridiculously priced, including at this resort. During the offseason, the room rates here are in the $105-150 range, which is reasonable for the region.

The location of this resort is very convenient being in the heart of Tofino. You can park your car, and walk anywhere in the town. There's also a small staircase that leads down to the small, rocky, beach area. At low tide (and if you watch your step!), you can see a lot of marine life in the tidal pools here. The resort itself consists of separate buildings joined by boardwalks with a thick forest covering giving the place a very secluded feeling.

This was my third stay at this resort. The first time, back in the early 90s, was in a studio room - while those rooms do have the best view of the cove, they are only large enough for one person or a close couple. With both the sofa bed and queen bed, there was literally no room to move around the room. That said, they were clean and decently priced.

This time, and the previous time, I stayed in one of the one bedroom suites. These consist of a small living room area with a sofa bed, kitchen area, bathroom and a bedroom with one queen bed. The suite was quite clean, which is difficult to do given that the area is usually wet, and guests often arrive after hikes or other outdoor activities. The furniture and facilities (except for the TV) were also in reasonably good condition - that is, obviously not new, but clean. The bathroom was in very good condition and well decorated with ample towels.

Having your own cooking facilities here is super-convenient, as you can walk a block to the Co-op grocery store, buy food and cook it in your room! This is especially valuable given that many of the restaurants in Tofino are mostly fine dining or greatly overpriced.

Now for the quirks... The kitchen had no frying pans - it's a bit awkward cooking a steak in a soup pot. The bed sheets looked clean - I inspected them very carefully, but they were dark brown! This made it more difficult to inspect them. The towels also seemed pretty clean, but were dark blue. There's something about having white sheets and towels that gives one more confidence of cleanliness than dark colours...I think that's why most hotels have white towels/sheets. The TV was fairly old, which wasn't a problem...but it had no remote control! We were told this before we went to our room. I forgot what a pain it was to switch from channel 46 to 3 without a remote. That said, it is much more relaxing to have the TV off and just listen to the ocean at night... There was also a slight musty smell near the door - I don't fault them so much, because it is an *extremely* wet climate, but it was still a bit concerning.

So...all that being said, the location, cooking facilities and reasonable all season rate means that I would recommend this place to someone wanting good value in Tofino, and would likely stay here again if staying in Tofino. I may stay in Ucluelet next time I visit the region though - seems a bit more down to earth.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We just spent a long weekend at Duffin Cove Resort and had a wonderful stay. The location is perfect:: right on the water, hidden away at the end of the road, but in town. Our room was a short walk from the parking lot, but felt like we were secluded away with our own window on the bay. The room itself was great with a fully stocked kitchen, thick towels in the bathroom, and a super comfortable bed. A perfect getaway.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We spent two nights at the Duffin Cove Resort during September 2009. We hadn't booked - we turned up in Tofino hoping to find somewhere nice. I'm not sure if the term 'resort' reflects the place. It has a selection of cabins and rooms which are all around a small sea cove. We had a ground floor cabin - with a bedroom, living room / kitchen and bathroom. We paid $150 a night (apparently reduced from $200 since it was low season). The cabin was actually really nice, with a well equiped kitchen. The view was absolutely beautiful and we had our own private patio (they also had a communal BBQ area. My only problem was that it wasn't that clean. On first appearance it seemed fine but the kitchen floor was a bit sticky and the towels did not smell fresh. It wasn't filthy by any means but it needed a good scrub. Had it been a little cleaner I would have been happier. The furniture was old and tired but it wasn't dirty.
It did seem quite expensive but by comparison it really isn't. Most places between Tofino and Uclulet and absurdly overpriced. Even more so if you want a kitchen,
It wasn't the best place we stayed on our trip around Vancouver Island but it certainly wasn't the worst. The owner was very friendly and helpful.
It is hard to say about recommending this place - it really depends what you are looking for. There is no internet or phone. It is a basic place in a great location - it was quiet and relaxing. If it was cleaner then I would certainly recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NaomiO
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I am Canadian and my husband is American. I had lived in Vancouver for year so I thought I knew what to expect. We came to Tofino to see the coast and Duffin Cove was recommended and booked for us by Tourism Vancouver on Burrard St in Vancouver (if you can believe that). This place was awful...filthy, dirty, and over-priced. We were told it was a RESORT...when we arrived we found out it is a MOTEL. When we arrived we parked in this open lot ( and were lucky to find a spot) and walked up and down over 100 stairs to our tiny studio. First of all, the door had no chain and would not lock at all (you absolutely could not lock it). There was no phone in the room (just a pay phone back down the 100 stairs). The pine furniture was scratched, stained, dented, dirty, and old. The carpet looked like it had never been cleaned and was actually so damp I refused to take my shoes off. The sheets on the bed were brown in color so you could actually seen the stains on them..it was so disgusting I did not want to sleep on them. The walls were paper thin and we could hear the people next door and they were not even loud. There was no closet to hang up your clothes ( just a rack right over the bed which actually hit you when you were sleeping). No hair dryer. The total cost (includes tax) for this tiny room with one queen size bed was $285.00! What a rip-off. There is no refund if you decide to leave once you see the room and so there was no way we could get out of this mess...thank goodness we were only committed for one night. I will be sending a letter to both Tourism Vancouver and whomever rates these places.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple