“Poor service at breakfast ”
Review of The Great Room

The Great Room
Ranked #14 of 60 Restaurants in Tofino
Price range: US$1 - US$34
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Resort guests, visitors to Tofino and local residents are welcomed in the Great Room and during the summer on the SandBar Bistro patio. Long Beach Lodge Resort offers inspired cuisine with inspiring Pacific vistas 7:30am to 10pm daily. The Resort's location on the edge of Cox Bay, offers breathtaking ocean views from the wild and beautiful west coast that is unique to Vancouver Island. Equally spectacular is the impressive interior architecture of the Great Room. The open concept enables uninterrupted views of nature while the modern furnishings, wood accents and fireplace features provide the warmth and feeling of a living room setting.
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Staying at the lodge which is lovely, decided to eat breakfast at the hotel - big mistake. Waited 40 minutes from time of arrival until food arrived. Our server asked us to wait while the table was set up, then put the menus down on another table and walked off, seemingly distracted. The table waiting to be ‘set up’ was no different to any other. Anyhow, after a few moments of just standing around while the server had disappeared, I just picked up the menus and we took our seats. She didn’t come back, so we beckoned another lady who asked if we had been offered drinks - er, no. I get the feeling colleagues are used to picking up the slack. We overhead a guy complaining to the restaurant manager about the service so it’s not just me being grumpy. I hate bad service, this is a luxury beachfront lodge so expectations are pretty high.
The other server got us tea & coffee and took our food order because ours was kind of busy engaged in conversation with the table behind us. Later on, whilst waiting for the food to arrive, she asked my husband if he wanted a coffee refill then wandered off and forgot about it. Again, another server obliged. Talk about disinterested! The food could have been so much better, scrambled eggs were okay but the bacon was just too dry and cold. Toast was barely toasted & not even a choice of sourdough. Husband had the oatmeal which he said was good. $29 lighter & feeling disappointed, I wouldn’t eat here again. Get in the car & head into Tofino.

1  Thank Kingy12898
Lara A, Director of Operations at The Great Room, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience. We take all feedback very seriously. I am very disappointed to hear about all of this. We always strive to ensure every single guest has an excellent experience however, it sounds like we fell short in this instance. I will be looking into this situation further and speaking with the Team in the Restaurant. I would like to ask that in the future, if you have any issues with service or your meal whatsoever, that you please speak with someone at that time. Please allow us (or anyone) the opportunity to make things right then and there. I would also ask that you give us another chance as we would like to show you this is not the norm. Thank you again for your review. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

We had our anniversary dinner here and it was superb. The service and food were fantastic and the view of the ocean was equally as wonderful. We would highly recommend The Great Room for a special meal or just for an outstanding dinner with great service, great food, and great views!

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for celebrating with us- we love celebrations! Here's to another wonderful year! Thank you for your review and we hope to celebrate with you again.

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Great service, veiws, coffee and one of the best Benny I have had! Super buttery sauce and well seasoned hash browns. Eggs were poached perfectly and you can tell the eggs were fresh!
Great little joint for breakfast!
Thank you for the to go coffees!

Thank you for your kind words! We are delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast and look forward to the next time that you dine with us!

Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

We had dinner on the first night of our stay which was also my wife’s birthday

I had called ahead to have a cake made...gluten free. This was no problem for the hotel and the pastry chef made a beautiful vanilla sponge which we polished off over the next 2 days

Of the food, this was one of the best meals of our trip. Great flavours. My seared tuna with noodles was lovely. My oldest had a lovely halibut with black rice. The service was really good too

Highly recommended for dinner (see breakfast review...)

Lara A, Director of Operations at The Great Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Thank you very much for your review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you for spending your special occasion with us. We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed August 9, 2018

The staff were great, and the huge windows were incredible! Some of the meals were good (Beef Bavette and the flatbreads) but the farmhouse chicken was extremely dry and the rice it came with was extremely undercooked (rockhard). Someone in our party was told that ordering 2 appetizers would be a great amount for a dinner but it was not enough food and she still felt hungry at the end of the meal.

Lara A, Director of Operations at The Great Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2018

Thank you for your review! I am so glad that you enjoyed so much of your experience in the Great Room and that the ambiance and staff were incredible. I am sorry that your chicken was not up to our regular standards. In the future, please let your server know of any issues at that time as we never want anyone leaving and feeling unhappy about their experience. We are able to rectify most issues immediately and are very happy to do so. We hope to welcome you back again soon!