“Lovely hotel, excellent staff, great location”

Rosewood Hotel Georgia
Ranked #4 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Alberta, Canada
“Lovely hotel, excellent staff, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have to start by saying that I am a decided hotel snob. I expect my hotels to be nicer than my own home and the staff to do everything short of rubbing my toes before I tuck in for the evening. I'm not proud of it, and it is oddly uncharacteristic of me as I'm far from elitist, but there you have it .... Now for the review: I stayed here with my two little girls for a long weekend in February and we had a lovely time. The location is amazing; it is across the street from the train (which we took direct from the airport) and also from the Vancouver Art Gallery. It is within walking distance to almost everywhere in the core. The staff were excellent, especially the bell staff and concierge. I was glad we accepted Matthew's offer for a room tutorial; it was fast and extremely helpful. The hotel was clean and cozy and luxurious. It definitely succeeds at its efforts to make guests feel they are in their own home. Everything from a doorbell at our room, buttons to indicate if we wished not to be disturbed, wonderful lighting options throughout, bathroom marble infloor heating, and opening windows. The Nespresso was a lovely touch, and I was provided with a kettle and selection of tea. We had a junior suite (half price in February!) in which we had a small sofa and chairs but also a full size table and four dining chairs. Wonderful for us to play games and have our meals (which would be great for meetings too). I loved that there was a full ensuite but also a half bath off the living area. A proper door between bedroom and living room allowed my daughters to sleep while I worked in the evenings (and there was a nightlight setting in the ensuite which my daughters loved). Lots of character in the room too - everything from the fabulous old windows to hardware to small architectural detailing, to the textured wall coverings. So much I can't even recall it all (but I do remember the dresser in the walk in closet had the auto close hardware ... those small details make a huge difference). On request the bell staff brought a dvd player, an assortment of dvd's for my kids, and some quick instructions on how to use it all. I had asked for duvets, blankets and pillows for my children (they love to sleep in little "bunny beds" on the floor when we travel), and all of it was in place when we arrived. I loved that the staff, instead of dismantling the bunny beds every day, actually made them all pretty for my daughters before bed. They had a children's "Rosebud" program too which is what decided me on this property. The hotel has that European approach: treat children like small guests, not small monsters. They gave my girls teddy bears and colouring books when we arrived, addressed them by name, engaged with them without bombarding them with questions. We were out in a horrible rainstorm for hours late afternoon one day and arrived to find the staff had left hand written notes of welcome addressed to my girls, with tiny bowls of candy (my girls were amazed I let them eat the candy ... but it was from Yummy Earth - all organic, no synthetic chemcials). They had also supplied child sized robes for my girls (which they LOVED of course) and slippers (aduld sized but my kids didn't mind at all). We made great use of the bathtub (we picked up supplies from Lush on Robson Street as soon as we arrived). We had in room dining a number of times. The meals arrived quickly and were steaming hot. The selection was small but the food was far better than any other room service I've had. The kids menu was great and they even make pureed organic baby food if you're travelling with a really little one! A couple of minor things: there is free wifi in the public areas of the hotel but a $10/day charge to use in room. We were on the 4th floor courtyard side; the courtyard has a lounge (which was not open when we were there so we were not effected) which is at eye level with our windows and which would have dramatically impacted our privacy and which could potentially be quite loud as well. Myself, I'll wait to see what other Tripadvisors say about courtyard noise before booking a courtyard room. The bed was too soft for my taste (but mattresses are very personal and it could have been too hard for others ...). One major issue was that I'd requested the quietest room possible (which was confirmed in writing and even mentioned by staff when I checked in); unfortunately, I was put into a room directly above the Spanish ballroom in which there was a wedding reception into the wee hours of one morning (the ballroom itself is small but beautiful). The music started pounding at 10pm and didn't stop until close to 1am, freaking out my kids and leaving us all exhausted the next day. I have no problem with a hotel hosting events but I believe guests should be informed of events so they can choose whether or not they wish to accept a lot of noise or if they wish to sleep. In my case I had expressly requested a quiet room. Staff I spoke to that evening were very apologetic but completely nonresponsive to my complaints. I spoke with a manager in the wee morning hours and the music stopped within the hour. Another manager called me the next day to speak about it and provided some compensation, and the managing director Steve Halliday called me when we returned home. I believe the hotel understands this is a significant issue for guests and that they are taking steps to ensure this will not happen again. The cafe is small but has wonderful food. The Hawksworth restaurant has excellent food and ambiance but service was uneven. I myself will definitely return to this hotel, whether alone or with my little ones. I give it a five star service rating because even though service fell down a little in some respects, it was more than made up for in other respects. Kudos to Steve Halliday for hiring some excellent people and listening so well to his guests.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue for you, be sure to ask about noise from the courtyard lounge and from any even...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Cindy12388
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
On behalf of my team I want to thank you for taking the time to express your comments about your stay with us.

It is not very often we see such a detailed overview of an guests experience. We clearly know we did not exceed your expectations at first but hopefully by our very quick service recovery we were able to remedy any faults in our system of caring for you and your family.

We truly learned from you and we appreciate all your efforts to show us the right way.

Look forward to your return.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
Squamish, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

The people that work at this hotel make you feel really special and the room itself is very luxurious. I've now stayed in almost every 5 star hotel in Vancouver and this is my new favourite ( Sorry Fairmont WF - It's me, not you. )

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SquamishJared
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments on your recent visit to our hotel.

Today, i shared your posting on Trip Advisor with our team as these are the men and women who are dedicated each day to exceeding our guest expectations.

We pride ourselves on making every guest feel like the on on the RED carpet whether you are in Hawksworth Restaurant, our newly opened alfresco lounge on the 4th floor called Reflections or relaxing in our Sense Spa or taking a swim in our 52 ft salt water indoor pool.

Please return soon and make us your "Home away from Home".

Warm Regards,

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Our stay exceeded our expectations. We spent three lovely days at the hotel, and were delighted with hotel and the gorgeous restoration. The staff was outstanding, bar none. Our room was comfortable and cozy, and our stay was made more pleasant by the little details - the espresso machine in the room and a complimentary tea tray sent up every afternoon (upon our request). Kudos to the staff, especially Jim (the driver), Matthew, Connie & Heather (concierges), and John, the bartender at the lobby bar who graciously and creatively mixed me a cocktail based on my favorite ingredients, and shared his historical knowledge of cocktails. The heated floor in the bath was nice, as was the shower and the soaking tub. We have stayed at Rosewood properties before (Caneel & Little Dix) and this "big city" experience at the Hotel Georgia ranks right up there with them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank appleorchard
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for your kind comments to Trip Advisor.

Team members like Jim Dudley, Heather, Matthew and John are the reasons we are here to ensure your stay was memorable.

"People make the Difference" in our industry and that is the culture we created here 9 months ago when we opened the renovated Rosewood Hotel Georgia.

Taking care of your needs in a "Home away from Home" is key to having a great experience in our hotel.

Please tell your friends and come back soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I treated myself to one night at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia after a few days at another hotel in Vancouver. And a treat it surely was! Highly recommended if you want to feel like royalty! I took advantage of an opening special they were running, only 300/nite for a Jr. suite which I thought was grrreat value! The rooms are exactly as they look on the website pictures. Truly classy and opulent :) I just wished I'd had the time to treat myself to a bath in that romantic-looking bath-tub.

I called in advance to inquire about parking, and lo-and-behold, when I arrived at the hotel the front men and other hotel staff were expecting me and were addressing me by my last name! I must admit, I haven't been privy to such royal service before! It kind of creeped me out a little bit.

Even when waiting for the elevator, staff members were asking me: 'How are you enjoying your stay Ms.____ ?'

I think if I had travelled with company that would've been alright but when travelling solo I don't like to draw so much attention to myself ;)

Still a fabulous hotel and I will consider returning in the right company :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Angelita d
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for your kind comment about your stay.

You made my day when I read your Trip Advisor posting.
We pride ourselves on exceeding each guest's expectations. We are 9 months old and have spent a great deal of time on our hiring and training procedures.

We know you have a choice of where to stay and we are very thankful you selected our hotel.

Please tell your friends and come back soon.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia and were beyond impressed. The accommodations, the hotel amenities and the unmatched service of the staff were first rate in every sense of the word.

The front desk staff and the concierge all went above and beyond even what you would expect at a 5 star resort, and all with a warmth and genuine heart for service that made us marvel. The stellar service continued when we dined in their award winning Hawksworth restaurant for dinner and followed up with breakfast the next morning. We have stayed in luxury hotels around the world and would rate the Georgia in the top 2 along side the Crillon in Paris.

The fitness center with their saltwater lap pool on the fourth floor was outstanding. It is located in the heart of Vancouver, with sites, shopping, great dining and art all within short walking distance. The staff directed us to some of the best sites to see in a two day visit and made our trip memorable. There is no better place to stay in Vancouver.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Steve B

You took our breath away by being compared to the Crillon in Paris. What a compliment.

After 2 years of preparing our 180 team members and 5 years of planning/building for that first day of operation 10 months ago when we opened and to receive such a complement from you was VERY special.

Your comments have been shared by everyone.

Thank you. We enjoyed creating that special memory for you.

Warm Regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed here in Feb 2012 in a junior suite. The rooms are very respectable and obviously brand new. Bathrooms were almost superb however the showers only have a ceiling mounted "rain-shower" which many people think they will like in principle but isn't so great in practice. There should at least be an optional shower hose.

Had no chance to try the restaurant but had room service - both for breakfast and dinner. At breakfast they managed to forget several items although, in their defence, they deleted these items from the bill even after they delivered it. Dinner was OK but nothing stand-out.

Staff in the lobby were fantastic, in particular the doormen.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank reallyreallyfussy
DwightSanford, Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
The rain forest showers have been well-received, however, as you have noted other options should be available. We have started to look at retro-fitting the rooms with hand held showers so that some of the rooms are equipped with both and hope to have this completed in the near future.

Consistency is an extremely important part of our guest’s experience. If one part of the hotel is lacking it can have an adverse effect on the positive interactions and clearly, we have some opportunities within our room service program for improvement. Our goal is to move away from one's perception of room service and create a true in room dining experience that encompasses both service and product (food). Thank you very much for the feedback.
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

You MUST treat yourself to a stay at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia! Fabulous property and the service provided throughout the stay was impeccable! Terriific location in a wonderful city but be warned- you may never want to leave! The rooms themselves are so comfortable and the bathrooms were incredible! All other luxury hotels should take heed. Treat yourself to a visit to Senses-their spa- and you won't be disappointed.
The time honored tradition of meeting for cocktails is alive and well and thriving at their Hawksworth Restaurant and Bar 1927. You must try the signature cocktail "Georgia" which has been dubbed "hotel history in a glass". Such fun! Their Bel Cafe seems to be the hot spot for the local crowd for breakfast and lunch. Great soups, artisnal sandwiches and to die for pastries. Try the new "cookies and cream" macaroon- worth every calorie.
If you need to get around town, the hotel's own Bentley can take you there. Reservations are required and service is limited to within city limits. Cannot wait to return Vancouver and this wonderful hotel,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank travelgoddess53
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.com about your stay with us.

We strive every day to exceed our guest expectations. We know you have a choice of what hotel to select so we are pleased you selected a Rosewood property for your Vancouver visit.

Please let us know the next time your travel plans bring you back to our beautiful city.