“a must stay in vancouver.......no better place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rosewood Hotel Georgia

Rosewood Hotel Georgia
Ranked #3 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Roseland, New Jersey
“a must stay in vancouver.......no better place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

top notch with a great staff..........heather at the concierge desk was great.........jim dudley the driver goes over the top.......he made our vacation the best ever........if you stay anywhere but the rosewood you are missing a great hotel with a great staff

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank norman r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Nanaimo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay downtown for the night & celebrate our anniversary . We did the escape package at hotel. Everything was excellent from valet parking, check in, bell boy ( James who made our reservations for dinner) . Room was awesome. Staff was above & beyond. Perfect anniversary. Highly recommend .

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Blintzbaby
Vancouver, BC, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I don’t know where to begin in my rave about this jewel of a hotel in downtown Vancouver. Everything about the Rosewood Hotel Georgia gives you a tingly feeling of well-being. If you are a bit out of sorts and are longing to be whisked away to another more decidedly glamourous era and yet still have every convenience at your fingertips, then this hotel will most assuredly restore you.

We were upgraded to a suite upon check-in - lucky us, I have no idea why - so, as you would expect, everything was quite perfect.

The Hotel Georgia has been around since 1927 and the top to bottom renovations have turned it into a thoroughly modern hotel that pays tribute to the past. If this hotel were a person it would be the love child of Fred Astaire and Andrée Putman.

There are beautiful art deco grace notes that are repeated throughout the hotel from the console table in our dining area (yes, we had a dining room in our suite!) to the tranquil, blissful pool area.

Our suite on the 4th floor consisted of a cosy sitting room, a dining area complete with a rather glamourous and generously stocked bar, a separate, extremely luxurious bedroom and an OOT ensuite. And what an ensuite it was – the footprint was the size of a small apartment and it came with heated floors, a stunning, free-standing tub,a beautiful rainshower, and his and hers separate vanities. I could have happily spent a week in there.

The fitness area was exceptional as well – lots of lovely, natural light pouring in, fantastic , innovative equipment including a stretching cage (would love to try that out again), and chilled towels to refresh you between exertions.

The very swanky lounge, Reflections, is in an inner courtyard on the fourth floor and has VIP private cabanas, a beautiful fire pit and a strong South Beach vibe. The only thing missing were some low-key celeb sightings but I have strong hopes for the future.

My husband stayed with his classic martini order at Reflections (which he pronounced 'Excellent"), but I opted for the signature Hotel Georgia cocktail which was a beautifully crafted mix of modern and retro - I'm a sucker for foamy egg whites in a cocktail. I hope to hunt down the recipe and if I do, I will pass it along, because it was ambrosia! No wonder it was named Cocktail of the Year by En Route.

If you are visiting from out-of-town, you will find this location, which is across from the Vancouver Art Gallery in a perfect downtown spot, close to all of the great shopping, dining and people-watching activities.

The service at the hotel is very professional, warm and gracious. They hit just the right note; friendly but not fawning and clearly proud of their hotel but not in that hipper-than-thou kind of way which can be so irritating.

Altogether, a delicious way to spoil oneself and I can't wait to go back. Next time, we will plan ahead and make sure to include a dinner reservation at Hawksworth, Salut!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheDelicateTraveler
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your recent visit with us on Trip Advisor.

I will pass all your wonderful comments on to my team. It will make their day.

Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service and to ensure that each and every moment of your stay with us is a pleasant and memorable one. It is extremely challenging being a new property (just 10 months old) thus we truly appreciate your positive feedback in ensuring us we are headed on the right path.

We hope to welcome you back to Rosewood Hotel Georgia in the not too distant future and if I may be of the any assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Again, Thank you.

Warmest regards,

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed at this grand hotel in the heart of Vancouver, B.C. for one night when I was in town for a business meeting. My brief stay simply wasn’t long enough to experience all of the wonderful aspects this property has to offer.

From the moment I walked into the grand lobby with its inviting fireplace and collection of Canadian art, I knew this was going to be a special hotel indeed.

As I approached the front desk, I realized the jeans and running shoes I’d worn for the drive from Seattle hardly matched the luxury of my surroundings. No matter. The desk clerk welcomed me warmly, and used my name just enough that it felt genuine and not forced. She checked me in swiftly, asked whether I preferred the local or the national newspaper at my door in the morning, assured me that my other preferences had been noted and attended to, then walked me over to the elevator that would whisk me to the 11th floor and my room.

The room. Ahhhh, the room!

Gentle mood music emanating from the flat-screen TV greeted me as I walked in. Glancing at the TV, I saw that it also carried a text message welcoming me by name to the Rosewood Hotel Georgia. A large, crème-filled cookie accompanied a personalized note from the managing director awaited on the table, and complimentary bottled water and Madeleines were on the nightstands.

The bedside clock was an analog alarm clock which, although clearly 21st-century modern and battery-powered, reminded me of the Big Ben wind-up alarm clock that occupied a place on my parents’ headboard throughout my childhood. An advantage of the design that quickly became obvious is that the clock can be moved to either side of the bed, while the wired alarm clocks in most hotels cannot. It’s a small thing for those of us who prefer one side of the bed over the other, but it is also a nice touch.

The bed itself was extremely comfortable. The ample pillows and high thread-count, 100% cotton sheets caused slumber to come quickly, and made me reluctant to leave my cozy cocoon the next morning.

Room 1114, a Deluxe King room, rivaled many of the suites in which I’ve stayed.

The area that serves as the sitting, TV viewing, and work space is set off nicely by strategic furniture placement, giving it more the feeling of a suite than the one large room it actually is.

Finishes in the living area were all high-end, but the bathroom trumped it all. “Spa-like” is a very apt description.

In addition to high-end amenities, the bath featured separate sinks, a huge soaking tub, a large walk-in shower with a drench showerhead, bathrobes, and a heated marble floor. While the weather wasn’t especially cold at the time of my early May visit, my bare feet found the warmth quite pleasant. Certainly, it would be even more welcome during a cold Canadian winter, as would the provided slippers.

Most hotels today offer in-room coffee which, in my experience, ranges from dishwater-dull to pretty decent. The coffee at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia, however, is tied for first place on my personal “best of” list. Each guest room is equipped with a Nespresso coffee machine and an assortment of bold, mild, and decaf coffee capsules.

Because I wasted one capsule figuring out how the machine worked, I called the front desk to request a couple more. A staff member was at my door within minutes, bearing no fewer than eight additional coffee capsules to make sure I had the caffeine I needed to start my day right.

The room also included a minibar (an increasingly rare amenity), the standard iron and ironing board, and an in-room safe. The closet also contained a bag where guests can place their shoes for a complimentary shoe shine. Basic wireless Internet access is included at no charge but is limited to a single device per room. Travelers with more than one Internet-capable device may find it beneficial to pay the modest additional fee for multi-unit connectivity and faster connection speeds.

When I reluctantly left the luxurious surroundings of my room, I found the rest of the property was equally appealing.

The hotel currently boasts four venues for food and drink: Hawksworth Restaurant, run by chef David Hawksworth; the Bel Cafe’ where one can grab a coffee, pastry, or light snack; Reflections, the fourth-floor lounge that encircles a tranquil outdoor fountain; and the 1927 lobby lounge, where nibbles and sippables are available. A nightclub called Prohibition will be opening later in 2012.

For the ultimate luxury experience, the hotel offers the Lord Stanley Suite and the Rosewood Suite, both of which feature multiple rooms, private rooftop terraces with city views, and private pools and gardens.

In addition to being directly across Georgia Street from the Vancouver Art Gallery, the Rosewood Hotel Georgia has its own impressive collection of local art on property. Maps available at the concierge desk guide visitors and provide brief descriptions of the more than 30 objets d’art, many of which were commissioned specifically for the hotel.

The hotel also offers a generous fitness center, a 52-foot indoor saltwater swimming pool, and an on-site spa called Sense.

Impeccable service

The hotel’s P-R material boasts of a “fully restored Georgian Revival property that has been returned to its former grandeur with additional elegance afforded by extensive amenities and impeccable service.”

I completely agree.

While luxurious surroundings are always nice, it’s excellent service that really makes an establishment memorable and worth visiting time after time. The Rosewood Hotel Georgia succeeded admirably in this area as well.

In addition to the desk clerk, I was greeted by every staff member I encountered, without exception. From maintenance and housekeeping staff to the concierge to the manager on duty, all smiled and bid me “good morning,” “good evening,” or asked “Is there anything I can help you with?”

When I telephoned from my room, either to inquire about Internet access or to request additional coffee, the guest services agents always used my name. In addition, the hotel spelled my name correctly each and every time, from my reservation to the manager’s note to the bill upon checkout. If you have a name that’s frequently misspelled, you can appreciate how impressive that is. If not...take my word for it.

First opened in 1927 and reopened in 2011 after a lengthy renovation, the Rosewood Hotel Georgia has hosted guests including Elvis, Nat “King” Cole, The Beatles, Katharine Hepburn, Louis Armstrong, Ginger Rogers, Frank Sinatra, Laurence Olivier, and Prince Charles, among others.

More about the hotel’s history is available on its web site, but I recommend an in-person visit – something I intend to repeat in the not-too-distant future.

Next time, though, it could be difficult to get me to leave.

Room Tip: It's easy to get to via the Canada Line of SkyTrain; no rental car required!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank TheTravelPro_us
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

In the world of hospitality, the ability to anticipate what customers want, before they ask for it can be a true competitive advantage. By reading your posting and your wonderful comments about your stay shows me that we did exceed your expectations.

I like to remind people seeking 5 Star hotels in our great city that we are not just a hotel. We are your home.

Sounds like we did exceed your expectations and this is your "home away from home" while in our beautiful city.

As you said, you may never wish to leave.

Please come back again very soon.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband & I stayed at the Hotel Georgia Sept '11 and it was marvellous. It has been beautifully restored to show all the original style and updated to give all the comfort of the 21st century including the best bathrooms ever. The staff are wonderful and seem genuinely happy to be there and good service is given effortlessly and so we felt very special which is surely what every top hotel aims for ... but the Georgia achieves it! Jim & the Bentley were a fabulous extra which we loved. We also ate at the Hawksworth restaurant which was fabulous food, the cafe was being finished which will be good for snacks. A big WOW!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jean R
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

My stay was fine except for two things. Firstly, the maids were not vigilant after turn-down service and upon return from an evening out, my room door was ajar. Nothing was missing but still, definitely not cool. The next word of warning is to make sure the room you have been given is not an adjoining room. I was kept up until wee hours by noisy drinker/partiers (and more) next door that sounded like they were in the room with me. This is the kind of atmosphere one would expect in a college dorm. I was surprised that when I politely reported this to the front desk the next day, I was offered an apology but no compensation like a free night another time or the like.

Room Tip: See my note.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank hexakali
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed for two nights this May and couldn't have had a better time. The staff was not only helpful and courteous but they made us feel welcome and they had a very sincere happiness about them that made it so easy for us to relax. We hope to stay again soon!

The only word of advice I would give is to figure out parking before driving in. As Americans that had never visited before we had a lot of trouble finding a close parking garage and we didn't want to pay for valet. There is no attached parking lot or garage.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BobnAngie
Steve H, General Manager at Rosewood Hotel Georgia, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments with Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to learn that we were able to leave a positive and lasting impression on your stay and have also passed along your kind words to our team.

Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service and to ensure that each and every one of your stay with us is a most pleasant and memorable one. It is extremely challenging being a new property (we opened last July) thus we truly appreciate your positive feedback in ensuring us we are headed on the right path.

Regarding parking, there is 1500 parking spaces directly across the street in Pacific Center shopping mall given you did not wish to use our parking valet system under our hotel. This is very easy to use so please try it next time. We can show you the best way to use this service.

Thank you.