“Great hotel, but stupidly expensive breakfast!”
Review of L'Hermitage Hotel

L'Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 28 January 2012

After a weekend of leisure, I was reluctant to move from the Hampton Inn where I had a massive room and was very comfortable. But as all my colleagues were staying at L'Hermitage, I had to move. So I was pleasantly surprised when the reception agent informed me I had been upgraded to a suite.

And for the 2nd time in 3 days my jaw dropped. Another hotel, and another suite larger than my flat at home! There was a lounge area, with 2 large armchairs and a sofa, plus a faux fire place. There was a sizeable dining table, and an adjacent kitchen, with a 4 hob cooker, a microwave, dishwasher and possibly the largest refridgerator I have ever seen. The bed room was also large, with an exit on a balcony, and with a massive walk in wardrobe. Both the bedroom and living room had flat screen TVs - I could only get the one in the living room to work, but there was a massive choice of channels.

The bathroom was surprising small - but the tub was very deep so a good soak could be enjoyed, There was no seperate shower - you had to stand in the tub to shower - but the quality of towels and amenties was excellent. My gripe with the bathroom was the size - the room was small, and there was no storage space for toiletries, razors etc.

WiFi was available across the property and was free of charge.

Location is good - 2 blocks from the Skytrain, Gastown 4 blocks, and half a block from Robson Street.

The only gripe I had was breakfast, which cost C$17.50 plus tax. This is ALOT of money and I would have expected a top notch buffet for that money. What there was available was good - excellent scrambled egg, but for me, it simply not value for money. I had breakfast each day, largely to catch up with my colleagues ahead of the days activities, but if I had been on my own, I'd have been in White Spot around the corner!

4 blobs as a rating seems harsh for such an excellent - but for the price paid I needed more space in the bathroom, a working TV in the bedroom, and a more sensible price for breakfast. Otherwise - excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank David W
GlennEleiter, General Manager at L'Hermitage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Dear wildthing271,

Thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us at L'Hermitage Hotel Vancouver. With your 74 reviews posted on TripAdvisor (and counting) and your visits to over 211 cities, I would like to suggest that we appreciate feedback and comments from such a savvy traveller!

I was delighted to read one of our highly-trained and intuitive Front Desk Agents was able to upgrade you to one of our wonderful and spacious suites and you appreciated the many special touches the suite had to offer. Our high-definition satellite TV's are a bit finicky and I apologize the one in the bedroom offered a challenge to you.

Our 'Boutique Breakfast Buffet', served in our 5th floor lounge, L'Orangerie, offers our guests what we hope is a great value breakfast in-tune with the overall nature and feel of our intimate hotel. We lovingly prepare smaller ('boutique-size') portions of items such as free-range scrambled eggs and organic granola in addition to freshly sliced fruit, probiotic yoghurts, parfaits, BC smoked salmon, Belgian waffles and freshly-baked croissants to greet the morning guest. Carefully priced at $17.50 per person and including coffee from 'milano' (a boutique coffee company roasting their own special blends right here in Vancouver) as well as an assortment of teas and juices, our buffet garners much positive attention from our guests. I also dare say that the staff you will encounter up there will be amongst the friendliest and genuine hotel staff you will encounter anywhere!

Wildthing 271, thank you once again for your candid and thoughful comments and feedback. We hope that if and when your many travels find you on the beautiful west coast of British Columbia, you consider staying with us here once again at L'Hermitage Hotel Vancouver.

Glenn Eleiter

Write a ReviewReviews (4,040)

Reviewed 27 January 2012

We have just returned home from a 3 week family trip to the US and Canada. Our final stop was Vancouver and we wanted it to be special. From the moment we arrived at L'Hermitage we knew we had made the right choice! We were made to feel so welcome and the kids especially cherished their special gift to always remember the hotel by. Your bags are not just delivered to your room, you are given a thorough rundown of all your amenities which include a great coffee machine! The Concierge was invaluable with suggestions on restaurants that would be suitable for families. The breakfast was fabulous value for the quality, with possibly the nicest serving staff we have ever come across. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel and would recommend anyone stopping in Vancouver for any length of time to stay at L'Hermitage.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed here a few months ago, but just getting around to revewing now. L'Hermitage was amazing. Reasonably priced and great for someone who has a dog. Most places frown on leaving your dog alone in room if you want to step out for a quick dinner. There was a welcoming gift for my pup and she loved it! Service was quick with everything we requested. Can't imagine for price/service/location I will find a better place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoundgirlM
Reviewed 24 January 2012

When anything gets such acclaim, I often find it hard to believe. Well, I am now a believer in l'Hermitage. It deserves all the praise it gets, and I would like to add mine. We have stayed here over a week. It's all true. Fantastic staff, well-located, spacious , quiet and spotless rooms, free WiFi, most reasonable auto valet service in this city, steps away from a grocery store, and near all the wonderful restaurants and shopping this city has to offer.
If the weather were better, I would be sitting on my balcony watching the world go by. I guess I will have to stay inside in front of our fireplace instead.
Stay here. It's wonderful.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mamatross
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My husband and I went with a group of friends last week and had a great stay at L'Hermitage Hotel. Not only did the hotel have really nice and clean rooms, but the service was perfect. The concierge Raymound and David really provided excellent suggestions and helped with all of our bookings for restaurants, car rentals, spa appointments, and etc. The location was central and many of the neighborhoods we visited were within walking distance. It wasn't necessary to have a car at all because of the location. We would definitely stay at this hotel again when we return to Vancouver for another trip!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank GGDylan
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The jacuzzi and pool were such a nice highlight to trip. Each hotel room has robes you can us; so you're comfy cozy moving from the pool to the jacuzzi. When floating around the pool, I could see travellers from other hotels longing to be able use L' hermitage resources

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Superb room, large bathroom, excellent service, great location, incredible price, very friendly staff specially the concierge dog!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family