“Sweet two bedroom suite”
Review of L'Hermitage Hotel

L'Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel has what appears to be a rare thing in central Vancouver: a two bedroom suite. The two bedroom suite, like the other suites in the hotel, has a full and well equipped kitchen as well. Added to that, the two bathrooms makes this as roomy as an apartment but with all the amenities of a hotel. The biggest bonus is the extremely large furnished balcony which overlooks the pool and there is another small balcony just off the dining area. It was perfect for entertaining friends and relatives during our stay.

The other amenities include clean, comfortable beds, marble jacuzzi bath, flat screen tv in each bedroom as well as one in the sitting area with HD satellite programming, complimentary wifi & high-speed internet, iPod docking station, electronic safe, iron and full-length ironing board, bathrobes, coffee machine, and fireplace. There’s even a washer and dryer. Large windows make the living area bright even on a cloudy day, although there is not much of a view. We were looking at a wall of the performing arts centre, the fifth floor pool area and other hotel room balconies.

My one complaint about the rooms was the lack of shelf space in the bathrooms.

The hotel offers the usual fitness centre, a number of machines crowded into a small room. As already mentioned, there’s a pool and hot tub. The restaurant, Q4 al Centro, offers very good Italian dishes.

The location on the border between downtown and Yaletown and away from the water can be good or less convenient depending on what you want to do. Despite the lack of a scenic view, the location, for us, worked well. We were without a vehicle but could go on longer walks to Stanley Park and Granville Island (via the Aquabus), and easily walk to many shops and restaurants. Our daughter walked two short blocks to get the bus to the university.

The price was very good compared to waterfront hotels. We plan to return when the weather is warmer so we can make use of the balcony and the pool.

1  Thank artslover
There are newer reviews for L'Hermitage Hotel

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We have just returned from a week at L'Hermitage, staying in a Signature Suite. The hotel and staff are top notch. The room was excellent and the housekeeping service was out of this world. Returning each day from a busy day we were greeted with a newly serviced room and each night came back to re-made beds, soft playing music, the fire lit and chocolates on the pillows (much to our kid's delight). We didn't make a lot of use of hotel staff generally as we research and plan our trips extensively, but L'Hermitage staff were really helpful and throughtful, even offering us umbrellas on one morning it was raining. Hotel is in a superb location and easy walking distance from everything. A must for restaurants: Guu Garlic (Robson Street), Go Fish (Granville Island) and Meat and Bread (for the best sandwiches in the world). Granville Market is excellent with the most amazing veg. Capilano and Grouse Mountain were excellent - use the free shuttle to Capilano, from waterfront. Transport connections are EASY we caught the Sky Train from Waterfront to YVR and it only cost $13.75 for four of us, and only took about 1/2 hour.

Room Tip: Our Signature Suite overlooked Richard's Street. Occassionally we heard shouting/sirens at nigh...
2  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed here during a business trip to beautiful Vancouver. I would have given this hotel 5 stars except for one thing: it's only 7 stories- floors 5-7 of an apartment building- and if street noise bothers you, look elsewhere at one of Vancouver's many high rise hotels. However, the L'Hermitage staff were outstanding and quickly moved me to a slightly quieter room on a less busy street than Robson when I explained I was a light sleeper. Other than this the hotel is just great: staff go out of their way to please guests, rooms are absolutely lovely with big bathrooms and soaking tubs. The hotel in general is hip, clean, and gorgeous. Everything you need is nearby including an IGA grocery, all sorts of restaurants, transport, shopping. Its a few blocks from the Skytrain to the airport. Has a beautiful outdoor heated pool and hot tub and very nice gym. I did not eat at the restaurant so can't comment on that. I wouldn't stay here again only because of the street noise, but would defintely recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: Get one on the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Lady911Driver
Reviewed 17 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Carina N
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I usually do not take the time write a review about a hotel as they usually do not stand out to me. I was so happy with my experience at this hotel I just have to say something. I planned a really nice birthday surpise for my boyfriend. It was amazing, service was fantastic, hotel room was beautiful. I don't have really anything to complain about. Thank you for making my boyfriends birthday the best birthday he has ever had.

Room Tip: the 5th floor was so close to all the amenites. Fantastic.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

At first I thought the price of the stay was a bit much, however I wanted to have a special 4 days with my wife and daughter and having a kitchen available to us in the center of the city was an important feature so I decided to go with the L'Hermitage Hotel.

From the time of my arrival, I was impressed. The room was fantastic, the service even better. The staff makes you feel wonderful and ensures that you have what you need. We were very comfortable the entire time we stayed.

The location in the city feels safe, and is close to everything that we wanted to see and do.

The only thing I would suggest for the hotel is to put a small dining table in the room. With a small child, having a table would have made meal time great. We struggled with our meal time as we needed to use the coffee table as our dining table.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

For special occasions, or for when my wife and I want to indulge in a weekend with a show, dinner, and relaxation, we will pick a nice hotel and plan a weekend.

For Valentine's this year my wife wanted to stay at L'Hermitage. We found L'Hermitage to be an exquisite boutique luxury hotel. There are equally excellent luxury hotels in Vancouver, such as the Shanghai. But what is nice about L'Hermitage is that the service is a little more personable because of its size. We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay.

It might not seem that significant, but I was impressed that the hotel designed its suites with everyone in mind, and I mean those with disabilities. All doors, including the bathroom, were wide enough for wheel chairs, and the bathroom with ample space for wheel chairs to move around. That means to me that all guests are well consider and accommodated for.

The other thing I found was there was the service was a bit more personable. When I had booked our stay I ordered a few things for our room. After registering, when we arrived at our room a staff member was there waiting to bring our requests in, and politely asked for permission to place them in our room. Nice touch.

L'Hermitage is in a great location as well, close to restaurants, theatres, Roger's Arena, and BC Place.

One very, very, minor point I would advise the hotel about for the smaller boutique rooms is about the kettle you provide for boiling water, such as for tea. In the boutique rooms, at least, you need to find a plug in. There was none obvious on the furniture piece with the fridge and T.V. We had to use another outlet with the kettle on the floor.

We will be back.