“Best ramen & Gyoza in town”
Review of Motomachi Shokudo

Motomachi Shokudo
Ranked #360 of 4,118 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

Ramen broth comes in different ways, and if enjoy yours with a light texture, this is the place to be. I have tried most of the ramen here and I guarantee that no matter which one you pick, you'll be fully delighted. But let's not forget the real star here, and that's the Gyoza! I have tried many of them anywhere I go but this place has the best Gyoza you will try, trust me on this one ;)
Cheers!

Reviewed July 23, 2016

I love eating their Shio Ramen. It's not too salty and the flavour isn't too strong. Perfect to drink the soup while eating their ramen. Their Shio also features a thinner noodle that I prefer, that the other noodles (Shoyu, Miso) don't have.

This is by far my favourite ramen place, and I go to Japan 2-3 times a year, and still find that this place suits my tastes very very well. There are many places in Japan that are extremely good as well, but they serve a very DIFFERENT ramen. Keep in mind that Ramen is usually made with a pork based broth. This place uses Chicken based broth, which I do love! Also, if you like pork based soup, their sister restaurant (which is also more popular and with more people) Kintaro is nearby. However, I like Motomachi by far more then Kintaro.

My only qualm is that occasionally service gets thinned out if the restaurant is full. Also, sometimes they have bad days where their soup COULD get too salty, and their pork a little hard. However, this doesn't happen too often. I still go 2-7 times a week!

Reviewed May 24, 2016

Motomachi is arguably the best ramen in Vancouver, winning local dining awards over many years. I dropped in late Sunday afternoon before the dinner crowd, and ordered the dark miso ramen, unique to Motomachi. The broth is excellent, flavourful but not too heavy with a slight smokey flavour due to the roasted bamboo. The noodles were cooked to the right texture, with the right portion. I would recommend going at off peak times so that you can take your time enjoying their creations.

Reviewed January 31, 2016

It was the first week back to work in January 2016 and I have never been to Motomachi Shokudo although I'd heard rave reviews about it so I took a coworker and client to it as we are all ramen fans. When we arrived EARLY (1145am for a 12pm opening) to make sure we didn't wait in line, the door was unlocked so we went in and asked if we could just stand at the door or sit at the table as it was freezing cold and raining outside. They said "I'm sorry you can't". We said it's cold and rainy and they said "sorry we can't". I was embarrassed especially having taken a client and she said "this is horrible customer service" and they ushered us out, and left us standing in the rain and locked the door after us. The ramen was good, but not good enough that I would ever return after that experience and with so many options including others equally or good or better, across the street, I am more than happy not to return my business to them or recommend them.

Reviewed December 10, 2015 via mobile

Excellent.
BBQ Ramen with miso base and one organic free range boiled egg.
Filling and super tasty.
Will be back again and again.
Service was polite friendly and fast!