“All good, very happy with this hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by APA
Ranked #20 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Sydney, Australia
“All good, very happy with this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We got to the hotel easily from the airport via Skytrain/local line to Burrard then a short walk. We decided to stop over in Vancouver before heading to Whistler just to catch our breathe and recover after a very long travel time involving a couple of flights. Ended up really enjoying our stay. Clean room, comfortable bed, good shower and lovely staff. We got a great rate online and it wasn't too much more to upgrade to a King room with a view at check-in. We usually like a small refrigerator in our room, but we were easily able to get ice and everything else was so good we really didn't mind not having one.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happywalkabout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel is a gem. The staff, from the doorman to the checkout agent, are patient and very oriented to providing exceptional service and making a positive impression. Eager to please, professional and efficient, they create an oasis of true service in an industry that often fails to meet expectations.
On arrival, the doorman was quick to open the cab door and welcome us to the hotel. He took charge of removing our belongings from the trunk and had sufficient time to even open my door before I could complete payment of the cab fare. He waited patiently until I was ready to exit the cab and, noting that we had limited luggage, offered assistance with the bags instead of assuming complete control of them.
Next, my check-in went quickly and flawlessly. The agent met me with a welcoming smile as I approached her and appeared to be genuinely pleased that she could settle me into the hotel and answer any questions I might have.
I asked how I might arrange a wake-up call and she quickly took it upon herself to ensure that I need not do anything else. Many other 4 star hotels often provide you with procedures to obtain a wake-up call from your room instead.
The lobby is well-maintained, spacious, and tastefully decorated in warm tones. The elevators are roomy and very efficient. Before you even realise it, the door opens and you're on your floor.
My room was a corner room on the 12th? floor. There was more than enough room (for two) to get comfortable in. Nothing was out of place in the room and there was no evidence that someone had previously stayed here. It was pristine and the air was fresh. The room also had all of the amenities that a traveller might need; and some that are not always found in 4-star accomodation. I chose one of the double beds in the room for the night and found it just a tad firm to my liking. It didn't occur to me to play Goldilocks and try the other bed. I wouldn't be surprised if the other was less firm, though I'm speculating based on overall impressions.
My colleague called me from her room to meet her as we'd decided to have dinner at Prestons, the hotel's restaurant.
On arrival at Prestons, more smiling, friendly faces to greet you and settle you into your table without delay. Prestons looks to be an upscale restaurant. Though well lit, the ambience is welcoming and likely more suitable to a business dinner than a quiet/romantic dinner. That said, I would have no hesitation to celebrate a romantic dinner with my wife. The restaurant is large enough that there are likely quiet corners available.
The service was professional, yet warm. Alisha (forgive the spelling if its wrong) eased my normal reservations about any unfamiliar restaurant immediately. She devoted herself to helping me though my selections of unfamiliar ales and wines, appetizers, mains, and desserts. There was a lot of choice in both appetizers and mains, and ultimately, though regretfully, I could only manage one of each. I was already cursing my next day early evening departure which would deny me the opportunity to sample other delights on the menu. Alisha continued to appear throughout the evening at opportune times, to ensure that the evening would be memorable for not only the quality of the food, but the generosity of her service.
The next morning, I opted for the buffet breakfast instead of the, a la carte. There was ample choice of freshly-prepared American breakfast items (the stick to you stomach fare) and the normal continental items such as croissants, breads, cereals and yogurts. I sampled a little of most items including one smallish almond croissant which was the highlight of breakfast. It was reminiscent of some of the better croissants I've tasted in France.
I'm hopeful that I won't be waiting another 33 years until my next visit to Vancouver as I'd like to revisit this establishment. I heartily recommend this hotel and its restaurant. From my experience, the staff's DNA doesn't permit them to disappoint!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 5Wearytraveller3
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed two nights in the Coast Coal Harbour hotel in Vancouver and I have to say, this is a really beautiful hotel. I had a nice room on the 19th floor with a view on the marina. Huge glass fronts. The rooms are very spacious and nice chosen style of furniture. should you ever travel to Vancouver, I can only recommend this hotel. The only minus point was the restaurant. I ordered breakfast on the room. And she forgot the half and brought tea instead of coffee... that was a big minus point. Quality of Dinner there was bad as well. But that doesn't really matter, as in the surrounding are plenty of nice restaurants.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank ThiesHH
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

This hotel is within walking distance of Stanley Park, the Harbour, downtown shopping, great coffee shops, the West End and Robson Street. In other words, there is a lot to do near this hotel that does not require a car. I was here for business and took the Skytrain from the airport and it was a less than 10 minute walk from the terminus to the hotel. Reception checking in was efficient and friendly. The next morning, the front desk was busy so the hotel manager came along and looked after me when he saw a bit of a wait. The room was very comfortable.

In the room, the wireless internet was reasonably good although a bit slow with streaming (not much of a complaint)

I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank OldFart06
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I had a great experience traveling with our dog to Vancouver for a long weekend followed by a conference for me at the convention center. Hotel staff were terrific - very welcoming and friendly to us and our dog. We had a king-size room with a water view (#616), wonderful views of the water and the mountains and ski area across the water (night skiing lights were an interesting sight). Our room was spacious, with plenty of room for the dog bed and other personal items, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom nicely appointed. All looked clean and new..

The hotel is just a block away from the waterfront park, where many local dog-owners walk and run with their dogs. And just 4 or 5 blocks up Bute Street, is an off leash dog park with some of the world's best-behaved dogs! We met great people there too, who gave us the best restaurant recommendations (especially Simba on Denman Street). To sum it up, Vancouver is a great walkable city with fantastic food and friendly people, and the Coast Coal Harbor is a perfect place to stay with your dog.

Room Tip: Water views are best, corner rooms are really special.