“Nice hotel in a good but noisy location.”
Review of St. Regis Hotel

St. Regis Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 2 December 2011

On booking this property I specifically asked for a high level room, for quietness. On checking in, after being rushed through the information about the hotel whilst the gentleman behind the desk talked to other employees around me, I was given a room on the 1st floor. As I was only staying one night at the end of a long trip, I didn't bother questioning it and figured it might not be so bad.
I was wrong - room overlooked noisy street and if it were not for the earplugs I had on me, I wouldn't have slept a wink. Very noisy. I understand the location is smack in the centre of everything and therefore noise is to be expected, also understand being an older boutique building the insulation isn't the greatest - so just keep in mind if you want a restful sleep here, bring earplugs and we prepared to hear everything going on outside as if it were happening in your room.
The room itself is lovely. Very tastefully decorated in pale hues and dark wood. Very small and simple - queen bed (note queen bed sizes are definitely smaller in north american than we are used to in the southern hemisphere - I was traveling alone but if I were traveling with my partner this would be a double size to us and probably uncomfortably small, but totally fine on my own). The bed was comfortable so no problems there.
Desk for work and chest of drawers. That was it for what was in the room, very basic. The bathroom was huge. Not sure if this is the standard type of bathroom or if I was in a disabled room, as space was very generous, huge tub, railings etc. The bathroom was beautiful and so clean. The whole room was incredibly clean.
A few things to point out - no shower cap, but all other expected amenities in the bathroom were provided. No minibar fridge - don't care about the minibar, but do like to have a fridge in the room for my own drinks, etc. Am sure if I asked they may have been able to provide it. Room service was average - server not impressive just dumped tray and left without saying a word. Chocolates on pillow on arrival, free bottles of Fiji water to drink during stay that are replenished daily, free calls - all, local, international, cellphones, etc. Free wifi within room worked most of the time okay, business centre open 24hrs, Didn't try to breakfast so can't comment on that.
Over all, this really is a lovely hotel that presents itself in a sophisticated manner, gorgeous generous bathrooms perhaps at the expense of a smaller room size, comfortable beds if only you could sleep through the noise, with average service.

Room Tip: higher rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,601)

Reviewed 1 December 2011

I think the St. Regis might be the nicest small hotel I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels. First, the staff, from check in to check out and everywhere in between, above and beyond expectations. Staff in the excellent breakfast room, in the lounge/restaurant, housekeeping, extremely helpful, friendly, just interested in making your stay the best it can be. The breakfast is a great bonus, it is a very nice cooked to order served breakfast, great! The hotel is in great condition, recently renovated, the rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable, well kept, great beds, everything pretty much perfect. On top of great service in a nice facility, it is located in the heart of Vancouver, close to everything for tourists or sporting events, or business.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We were so impressed with our stay at the St.Regis, before we even arrived, they called us while we were enroute to advise that the usual access to their parking had been blocked due to the Grey Cup parade. Ryan explained how we needed to go about accessing their parkade once we arrived. Ryan and Casey were extremely helpful once we arrived, and got our luggage up to our room. We were there at least 5 hours before the check-in time, and they already had our room ready for us. We were so impressed with the rooms, very beautifully decorated, and the bathroom was gorgeous. Complimentary breakfast was included with our stay, and it wasn't just a little partial snack, but a full breakfast. There wasn't a bad thing about this hotel, the service is top notch. I only have one constructive comment, and that is , I would ditch the one cup coffee maker for a regular hotel coffee brewer and I would ditch that coffee you have in the rooms, it's horrible, thank God you have a Starbucks downstairs. Loved the pub too, and had awesome service from Dora!! Our friends came in with us, and were so impressed with the St.Regis that they are booking rooms there for their next visit to Vancouver. Thanks for the wonderful stay!

Ed and Virginia Iceton

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eviltidball
STregisVancouver, General Manager at St. Regis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Ed and Virginia, Thank you very much for your kind words. Our free trade and organic coffee may not be to everyone's taste but we do appreciate your feed back. We are looking at our coffee program and may make charges in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to see you again soon.

Jeremy Roncoroni,

Reviewed 29 November 2011

The St. Regis was a very pleasant place to stay in most important respects. The room appointments were especially attractive, and a positive surprise in an older building. The heritage background was a genuine plus for us. The location turned out to be excellent. The staff was very anxious to please.

A couple of drawbacks that may or may not be important to visitors:
- The restaurant has a noisy and party-like atmosphere: kind of a roadhouse. It's a mismatch for a hotel that is really quite classy.
- The elevator and rooms are on the small side. That must be what comes with renovating an older building.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your kind words. I wanted to let you know that we are currently constructing a hallway to connect our lobby to the cocktail lounge at Gotham Steakhouse. We hope to have the hallway in place by end of January 2012. This will give our guests a choice between our St. Regis Bar and Grill, an energetic sports bar and Gotham Steakhouse, Vancouver's finest steakhouse providing a more upscale environment. Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and we look forward to seeing you here in the future.

Jeremy Roncoroni

St Regis Hotel

After reading the favorable reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to give this hotel a try for our three day stay the week of 11/21. Our stay couldn't have been better! This hotel pays attention to every detail. The staff was always friendly and eager to help. The room was tastefully decorated with nice linens, a comfortable chair and a desk. Wi-Fi worked well. Our bathroom was good size with a soaking tub/shower combo. Our friends had a room with a walk-in shower and heated floor. The hotel/room was very clean. The complimentary breakfast was good with three different choices. Each choice provided more food than we could eat. The location was perfect for us as we could easily walk to shopping, restaurants and transit. The hotel is convenient to transit with the Granville Sky Train station next door. We caught the on/off trolley approx 4 ½ blocks from the hotel. There were good restaurants close by. The St. Regis Bar and Grill is attached to the hotel. The Shore Club is a block away and had delicious food and atmosphere. The parking for the hotel was a little awkward so take advantage of the detailed instructions you receive before arrival and be sure to let them take your bags when you stop to get your parking pass. We like to take care of our own bags so were a little skeptical of this process but quickly realized they know what they are doing and will take good care of your bags while you park your car. We definitely recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed 4 nights at St.Regis Hotel because my wife attended her cardiovascular congress.Hotel is central located in Downtown, so you can walk to almost everything you want to see. Rooms are very clean, bathroom we had was huge, realy nice renovated. Staff was absolutely helpful, courteous, exceptional. Bed was comfortable, free wi-fi, free international phone calls, breakfast was good, but if you stay longer than 3 days you are running out of choices. Pub is right next door to hotel, same thing, perfect atmosphere, easy friendly staff, awesome food, fair priced, varity of beers, wine and other nice drinks.
Something we didn't like? Well if you want, you always will find it. For us it was perfect.
Thank you hotel crew and special thanks to Jeremy, GM for your support. Great job.

Room Tip: Would not book smart double bed, better queen or King.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2011

First off, my girlfriend also reviewed our same experience, so this will sound very familiar to her account. But I've never had an experience like this before and was determined to also put my two cents in.
Also, all of these problems occurred during Grey Cup weekend (which we had never heard of before beginning our stay in Vancouver).

Pros: Nice enough rooms (if on the small side). Pretty good room service. Very friendly staff.
Cons: Terrible drop-off situation. Experienced actual road rage while attempting to drop off our bags.
Highest noise levels I have ever experienced in a hotel/hostel ever, anywhere.
Partiers/drunks congregate at the intersection and nearby businesses, which contributes to the noise levels.
Does not seem to have any ability to quiet down neighboring businesses.
Did not handle the Grey Cup situation very well.
Not particularly cheaper than other downtown hotels that don't have the previous cons.

First off, my girlfriend booked this thinking it was the St. Regis chain. Would not have been a problem if the stay had been better, but they need some serious disclaimers on the website explaining the situation.

As far as the actual stay goes, the drop off area is borderline traumatic.
Basically they have you double park in one lane of a VERY busy, very angry, two lane street.
All the other drivers don't see the hotel signs and think you are being a jerk. This was a friday evening and drivers were PISSED OFF.
We were dropping off luggage from our rental car before driving the car back to the agency and were probably in that spot for 5-7 minutes.
I was honked at, shouted at ("in Canada, that no stopping sign means no stopping") and generally abused by the other cars...
As my girlfriend was pulling away and turning off her blinkers, an SUV with BC plates honked, swerved around us, cut us off and then, after we honked, hit the brakes, trying to get us to rear-end him. He flipped us off before driving away.
During busy times, the hotel absolutely should have someone outside protecting drivers and generally absorbing this abuse.

Onto the room situation.
As we were checking in, my girlfriend asked for a higher room, but were told second floor was the only one available (due to the grey cup).
We got to the room and found that it was very noisy, with many drunks shouting on the street and a bus stop directly across from us where the busses made BEEP BEEP BEEP noises every five minutes. The windows did absolutely nothing to absorb this noise.
I decided to suck and up and sleep with ear plugs and a pillow over my head.
Then at about 10:30pm, a bar started blasting music, making sleep impossible. I called down and was again told no other rooms were available. The guy at the desk said things might calm down by midnight..
Midnight came and went with just as many drunks still lining the streets and the bars making ZERO effort to do any noise control or keep patrons from hanging out outside.
In fact, the bar near us turned the music UP at around 1am.
At this point I called down and told the front desk we would be moving to another hotel immediately.
We ended up booking a significantly larger, completely quiet room at the Four Seasons for not a lot more money.

Overall, we had a terrible, stressful experience.
The only reason the St Regis did not get a 1 rating was that the next day the manager was very very nice and understanding and canceled charges for both the night we tried and failed to use and the next night we canceled.

Besides these issues, the hotel has friendly staff and the rooms are nice enough (although a bit on the small side if you're staying as a couple).

Based on my experience and other reviews, it seems like they have a few problem rooms where the noise levels are not adequately contained.
Additionally, it seems to be a highly intoxicated location which contributes to the noise levels.
They either need to put a lot of effort into sound proofing these rooms or give guests a serious disclaimer about the noise level when reserving them (don't just assign guests to the problem rooms and hope for the best).

It is a downtown location, but other downtown hotels do not seems to have these problems (we are currently blissfully, quietly, happy at the Four Seasons).
I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and hostels and this was the first time I've ever walked from a hotel I'd checked into.

One other suggestion: Given the number of times the "Grey Cup" was mentioned in relation to these problems, it would have been nice if they had called and given a bit of warning.
CFL is not covered at all in America and we had no idea the Grey Cup existed or would cause so many problems.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple