“Interesting hotel”

Ranked #75 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Tucson, Arizona
“Interesting hotel”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Depending on your expectations, the Patricia can be a good place to stay. True, it's location or actually it's neighborhood, isn't the best. But you get just what they promise-a small room in an old hotel which is clean and comfortable. Our stay happened to coincide with a heat wave in Vancouver, and the Patricia isn't air conditioned. The provided fan helped, but it was still warm in the room during the day. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful in arranging local tours. We felt very safe walking in the neighborhood; the various homeless people did not bother or harass us. For a 98 year old hotel, the Patricia is very affordable, and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the largest room you can afford.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank William H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed there for 2 nights. It is really old and creepy but the worst is outside!!it is very close to downtown but you have to walk through homeless and drugaddicts and prostitutes...It is very scary at night although nobody did anything against us.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lulaslk
budgetpat, Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Dear lulaslk,

The style of the building is indicative of the era in which it was built and with its hundredth birthday quickly approaching, the Budget Inn Patricia Hotel a heritage style hotel with distinct character. While most find this character charming, others may find it to be “old and creepy”. Although we aim to do so, we unfortunately cannot satisfy everyone’s personal tastes and are sorry to hear that in your case we were unsuccessful. Thank you for your comments about the hotel’s proximity to downtown as we are only a 15 minute walk to the centre of the city. The front desk staff is always happy to recommend pleasant walks through historic Gastown and Chinatown which eliminate the need to walk on the main thoroughfare into and out of downtown. We would also like to thank you for reiterating what many previous reviewers have mentioned – although the city does have its poorer neighbourhoods, they are in fact quite safe.

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE

I just got out of this hotel alive.... I have about 30 bed bug bites and probably plague or something.

The other reviews on this site, well the good ones at least are NOT accurate. The area around the hotel is hell on earth, there are homeless / druggies / prostitues / down and outs as far as you can see around the outside of the hotel. I relaly did not feel safe walking to downtown even in the day. There is one block where there must be a shelter or something and the street is just lined with these people.

As for the hotel itself.... the interior is not that bad, the room has everything you need (and a few extra guests you don't), the bathroom was small but functional, there was a tv (which was rather old and about 30% of the screen was permenantly tinted green). There are towels etc provided which is a bonus.

As for the bugs.....I have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world (50+) and this is the first time I have EVER encountered bed bugs. On the 2nd day of my stay I was feeling a little itchy and uncomfortable but I thought that it may be from travelling or the change in weather and thought nothing further. On the third day I noticed some red ‘bites’ on my legs and back, I thought that they were caused by mosquitos or similar as I had been to Stanley Park. I am not from here so I thought that it was some local bug.

Finally on the 5th and final night of my stay I was lying in the bed awake when I felt something crawling and to my horror saw a bug crawling across the bed. I have never been so disgusted in all my life. I googled what it was as as I said previously I had no idea what a bed bug even looked like and to my horror my research confirmed. As quickly as I could I packed my stuff and went to reception.

The girl on reception did not seem shocked or bothered by what I was telling her and suggested it was my own fault?! While I understand that bugs can be transmitted by clothes etc I do not feel that this is the appropriate attitude for dealing with a distressed guest very early in the morning.

Be your own judge... but take my advice and pay more for somewhere 1/2 decent!!

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank Helen T
budgetpat, General Manager at Patricia Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear HelenFromUK,

As we are unable to control, influence or change the city of Vancouver and many other reviewers have addressed the fact that our neighbourhood is poor yet safe, I will refrain from commenting on that portion of your review at this time.

Thank you for bringing a problem television to our attention as it has now been replaced.

With regards to your comments about an insect problem in your room:

Bed bugs are gaining notoriety as a problem insect in the hospitality industry. As such, hotel owners, managers and employees alike have taken it upon themselves to become well-educated about the prevention, identification and treatment of the insect as well as the symptoms suffered by those who encounter them. Likewise, a case of bed bugs is taken extremely seriously by hotels and as such the detection and treatment of legitimate cases are an utmost priority. Unfortunately, although hotels take great care to eliminate the potential for their guests to encounter problem insects, the same may not be said of airlines, airports, taxis, buses or any public space.

It is our primary goal to ensure the satisfaction of our guests and we strive to do this by expediently tending to any concerns our issues as they arise. As such, we always appreciate being notified of a problem in a timely manner rather than an individual waiting until their scheduled departure date.

Bed bug bites cause bleeding, leaving tell-tale signs on hotel linens. Upon inspection of your room we were unable to detect any evidence of insects. Hotel housekeepers are extremely diligent in inspecting linens during and following a guest’s stay in an effort to ensure that they do not unknowingly transfer anything from one room to another or to their own homes. As our housekeepers were unable to detect insects in your room and the room was occupied both before and after your stay without incident, we are confident that the problem that you described did not originate in your hotel room.

Finally as financial compensation was one of your primary concerns the morning of your check out and subsequent emails have threatened a poor review on trip advisor unless you received a completely free stay, we have great difficulty accepting the legitimacy of your complaint.
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I'll keep this simple.
We pulled into the car park. A woman spat in front of the car. (strange).
Parked up and witnessed our first drug deal.
Went to main entrance and 2 prostitutes offered me sex.
We booked in regardless. The hotel stank of cigarettes and mould.
Rooms very small and dingy.
We went to get our suitcases but I thought better as we were being watched by pimps, gang members and tramps so we left them in the car.
We decided to abort our stay here after about 7 minutes. We were told that we would still be charged for the night. We didn't care. Just felt good to be out of what must be one of the roughest run down areas of Vancouver.
Enjoy!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Matt B
Dear MattB,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. As we cannot control or influence the city of Vancouver I will refrain from commenting on that portion of your review and instead focus on the areas which we can attempt to change and improve.

Although smoking is prohibited in our guest rooms (a fact guests are informed of verbally and in writing at the time of check in), we do occasionally experience problem guests who wish to ignore the prohibition. As cigarette smoke is disruptive and harmful to both housekeeping staff and other guests, those individuals who choose to smoke in their rooms are checked out immediately upon identification. We apologize if during your visit to the hotel, you encountered any cigarette smoke created by another guest.

With regards to the size of your room, like all hotels, we offer a wide range or room sizes and styles. These rooms range from small rooms with one double bed that reflect the era the hotel was built in (Est. 1914) to rooms with two queen beds that are representative of a more modern style hotel. As you referred to it as “small and dingy” I imagine the room you reserved was one of our smaller, “Super Saver” rooms, which because of their low price tend to appeal to budget-minded travelers who are accustomed to hostel-style accommodation, where privacy is a priority over space. If this is not the type of traveler you are, you likely would have found one of our Standard Rooms more appropriate and I am sure, subject to availability, the front desk staff would have been happy to accommodate you if you shared your concerned.

Again, as we cater to budget-minded travelers, we prioritize clean, no-frills comfort over the type of style and amenities that higher priced hotel chains offer. While I apologize that you were not pleased with your room, perhaps it is possible that our styles were not well matched from the outset.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I spent two nights in Hotel Patricia. It was a great Hotel in one of the nicest cities i have ever visited. When i booked into the Hotel i asked the manager on duty what sights he could recommend for a first time visitor of Vancouver. Whilst he could have told me to take a look at the numerous brochures advertsing local tours in the hotel lobby he spent about 20 minutes writing down local places of interest for me to visit. These were great places off the normal tourist track. The hotel was extremely clean and was also nice and quiet. It is also only located about 1 km from the downtown area which meant that there was no need to use taxis. There was even a bar downstairs which was pretty cool. However whilst all staff members were particularly courteous, one particular staff member Lindsay stood out. Having left the hotel i discovered that i had left me camcorder behind. The camcorder contained all two weeks of my holiday footage. I had travelled from Ireland to see Killer whales in the wild and was pretty upset when i left my camcorder in the hotel. Well Lindsay located the camcorder and spent some time looking for the most competitive quote to get the camcorder returned to me in Ireland. All in all i had a great time in Vancouver and would certainly recommend Hotel Patricia to anybody who is looking for a very reasonably priced hotel close to all the attractions. Ronan Dublin Ireland

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank ronan b
Middle TN
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Local area was a little scary, but guard in parking lot (free parking) was very helpful. Had to take everything out of vehicle which was a pain, especially since we were packed for a month. All kinds of homeless people were walking up and down the street. Room was small but clean. Price was reasonable. Beds were so-so. Room was a little hot and a fan was provided. This is not a five star hotel, but it is OK...not sure if I would stay here again or not.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank tnoccther
Newfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This hotel is dated but clean & affordable. The desk clerk was very friendly & helpful. Our room was very tiny but if all you need is a place to lie your head, this will work. Within walking distance of town & docks. Although I felt perfectly safe in the hotel, I will warn you, do not walk straight down Hastings St. into town. There are a lot of alcoholics, drug users & homeless on most of this street. Just walk one block over to head towards town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple