“Unimpressive”

Ranked #57 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Unimpressive”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was thoroughly disappointed with many aspects of this hotel. I stayed in a suite which I thought was quite small. The suite was nicely designed, but it's an old creaky building and the floor in my room was uneven. I was escorted into the room by the front desk staff "because the key card doesn't work many times" (is what he explained to me). When I got to the room the temperature was only 14 degrees celsius and the window was open. It was noticeably cold as soon as you walked in, but the front desk staff said nothing. I cranked the heat but took forever to heat up. This must be a common problem because there was a portable electric heater in the room. Being a suite, the heater was too small to heat the room. Next morning I plugged in the iron and must have popped a breaker because the electricy for the entire room shut down. When I went down to check out and the front desk girl asked how my stay was. I told her about the heat issue and she barely apologized. I will never stay hear again. If I felt the staff was truly apologetic about the situation, I would give this hotel a second chance, but unfortunately that was not the case.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveller383
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for staying at Moda hotel and we are sad to learn that, you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. We do our very best to cater to guests' needs and concerns and we apologise that we fell short on our delivery with your experience. We hope that you will consider us in the future and wish you all the best.

Team Moda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Valentines day – Living in one of the suburbs of Vancouver (White Rock) it is always a treat to stay downtown and enjoy a night out without having to worry about who is going to drive. I’ve stayed at all 3 Fairmont’s downtown the Sutton and the Wall Centre I wanted to try something with a little more character. We stayed in one of the suites which was quite large and well presented. Bed was very comfortable and the noise level was acceptable for a building of its vintage, it reminded me of the Mark Twain in SF with a combination of the Mondrian hotel in Scottsdale AZ

Location is great; right on the edge of Yaletown and it is a quick walk to Grandville Street or Robson street shopping.

Ate breakfast at the in house place Umma I think it was called – Had terrific coffee and generous portions for the food.

Overall good experience, it delivered with a nice modern friendly vibe

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David H
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and created precious memories. All of us here at Moda thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at Moda Hotel for 3 nights and I just loved it. Not only was the staff extremely friendly and helpful, making sure that I enjoyed my stay to the fullest. The room was also stylishly furnished and very quiet, given the central location. (I'm very noise-sensitive and asked for a quiet room when making my reservation - I got one!) Great breakfast at the restaurant next door gets you started for the day. Should I have another opportunity to visit Vancouver, this will be my place to stay.

Room Tip: O had a room on the top floor, facing the back, and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you very much for choosing Moda Hotel Downtown Vancouver during your stay in Vancouver. We are very happy that we were able to help you create great memories on that special day, and that you enjoyed our friendly service, the hotel and our wonderful restaurants.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back on your next stay in Vancouver!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The Moda has a great location, great food clean modern rooms very good service at a European stlye boutique hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your feedback! We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forwarrd to welcoming you back on your next visit to Vancouver.

Toronto
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I've stayed at the Moda on several occasions now. This time I booked a suite in order to hold a series of meetings, and it worked out really well. We made use of the onsite restaurants as well, though I find them a bit on the pricy side.

I've always found the staff to be helpful, and I am always greeted with a smile.

People complain about the noise, etc., but the hotel is in the middle of a busy part of the city...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you very much for staying with Moda, and we are very happy that you continue to enjoy our hotel and service. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just be prepared to eat out a lot or utilize the grocery markets down the street. Has a great trendy feel and charming coziness, and the staff is uber-nice.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has ice machine and business centre.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

With our very warm regards,

Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel is in a great location downtown within 5 mins walk of Vancouver City Centre Canada Line station!

From first look the hotel has a great contemporary feel with red and chocolate decor, but this is as far as it goes!

Our room was at the back of the hotel which overlooked restaurant vents, even with triple glazing this constant drone kept us awake most of the night. Other noise could be heard from the corridor with guests walking about as well as from the room above.

The bathroom was cold with no apparent heating and the shower wasn't really up to much....as well as being set to a bizarre low height which meant crouching to wash your hair.

Breakfast was served at the UVA wine bar from a short menu. Service was ok but not award winning.

On the whole we were glad it was a one night only thing!

• Stayed February 2012
ModaHotel, General Manager at Moda Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for staying with Moda hotel during your recent stay in Vancouver! We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location however sad to hear that you didn't enjoy other areas of our hotel.

We wish you all the best!