“Good Location, Good Price”

Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Ranked #27 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The check-in in the lobby was smooth.

We stayed in a very spacious Executive Suite, room 3308 which was approximately 180sqm. The suite consisted of a guest powder room, a living room, a dinning room with 8 chairs, a pantry area next to the dinning area with coffee machine and microwave, a second more cosier living room with a large bathroom with separate tub and shower and double sinks as well as a spacious bedroom with a large bathroom with separate tub and shower. There were views of bustling Burrad and Georgia Street intersection.

To our disappointment there was no fruit basket in our room, no milk or cups to accompany the coffee machine, no tea bags, no minibar and no plates for the microwave. There was also very limited closet space in the accommodation.

The Regency Club Lounge was not very fancy, it wasn't very big and the area in which the food was presented was minisculus, they offered a limited selection of food at breakfast which was mostly cold cut, at cocktail hours there was a small selection of snacks you could have, they charged CAD$8 for a glass of wine. This was acceptable as we only paid CAD$29 extra per night to have club access.

The cuisine in the Mosaic Grille is of the highest quality, the scallops are cooked wonderfully as well as the meat and fish, a dinner for two persons with half a bottle of wine would cost approximately CAD$140.

The location of the hotel is very good, there is Starbucks in the lobby and a large convenience store is located in the connecting shopping mall, the Vancouver Art gallery is only a 5 minute walk and Sears is close by.

All in all it was an affordable stay as we only paid CAD$299 per night during our four night stay for a 180sqm suite in the heart of the city, the normal rate for this suite is CAD$699, I recommend if you have a Hyatt Gold Passport to use the affordable upgrades they provide.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,803)

Reviewed 26 December 2011

My company booked me at the rate of only $159/night which was excellent value, probably the best value of any hotel they have ever put me in. Internet was extra, I think about $10/day which is a lot. The spacious room was excellent and beautiful, including a safe that worked off the near frequency room key, so no programming required. The bathroom was so elegant I took pictures for future possible home renovations. Bed was excellent and on request hypoallergenic. My room rate included access to the club lounge which was temporarily relocated to an upper floor but included delicious snacks and fantastic service. My room was right next to the fitness centre and there was one point when I could hear the machines, but not as often as one might have feared, probably because the treadmillls were all out of service until the final evening of my visit, which was the only disappointment of the stay. I think this was only temporary because of some upgrades being made.

Room Tip: Room next door to fitness centre may have noise from machines.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
BrandiLasanen, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear shenatoronto,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and that you had the opportunity to visit our Regency Club. As you noted, we are currently making improvements to our fitness facility, that once complete, will be located again on the 4th floor away from the guestrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We just returned from a 5 night (6 day) stay at Hilton and I was pleasantly surprised by our stay. I booked on hotels.com and the price was quite fair (~$118 for Sun-Wed and ~$129 for Fri/Sat). For a 4 star hotel, you'll get good value for your dollar (reminder, this is not a 5 star, this is not Shangri-la; this review is based on what you get for a 4 star hotel).

Rooms: The rooms are refurbished and very contemporary and spacious (well at the least the king size room we had was spacious) and equipped with an Ipod docking station (in the case you forget to bring your iPhone charger - not necessary to bring it), with a desk, bench, arm chair, etc. The bed and pillows are super comfortable.

Bathroom: The amenities are limited (was expecting that due to the reviews) but if you call them they will supply the cotton balls, q-tips and anything else. There is a rain shower head with inner and outer bathmats and lots of space on the vanity for toiletries. Although the bathroom is a dark slate color, it appeared very clean as the sink, toilet and tub are in pristine condition.

Service: The room is regularly cleaned and serviced on a daily basis and towels are replenished. The concierge is helpful for taxi fare, tours and restaurant locations, etc. The gym on the fourth floor is closed but you can access a temporary gym on the 29th floor, which has treadmills, elipticals, stability ball, etc. (Just didn't see any free weights). There are towels, water and a coffee machine located inside. There are television monitors on the treadmill and they supply headphones.

Location: Can't be beat for access to Sky train, shops, Stanley Park, etc.! The Burrard (spelling?) station is located across the street - you can take the Canada line sky train from the airport (with one transfer change on the way) for $7.50 per person. It does get noisy at night due to the downtown vibe but overall we slept well (our room on the 23rd floor overlooked Burrard and Fairmont Vancouver). Maybe you can get a room that is located opposite from the downtown city streets and it may be more quieter. I liked that the spa I booked (at Fairmont's Absolute) was within walking distance (~3 minutes away) and you can shop/browse at Louis Vuitton, also located across the street. The Pacific mall is also within walking distance. Here is the best part: Starbucks and Tim Horton's located right under your feet - literally. The Starbucks is in the lobby and there is a mall attached to the Hyatt where you can access Tim Horton's, Micky D's, Rexall pharmacy, Staples and another Starbucks and other stores - in case you don't want to venture outside.

CONS: Internet charge; $9.95/day for light; $14.95/day for full service; $69.95 for one week. I think this hotel appeals to business travellers - what's with the internet charges? That is a major turn-off and needs to also be factored into the room charge when clients are comparing staying at other hotels in the same category.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return due to the cost-savings and value.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear AKCToronto,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay and that our location was central to all that you wanted to experience during your trip to Vancouver. We are looking forward to being able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Staying here one night after a ski holiday to Whistler. Needed one more night for platinum renewal, so was the only choice even though I would've preferred closer to the airport.

Was pleasantly surprised at both the cleanliness and functionality of the room. Spacious and comfortable with high quality beddings. As some say, not much character or uniqueness here, but I'm not looking for the hotel to provide me that given the proximity to great restaurants and parks here.

The only negative I would say is driving in and parking. We arrived around 7:00 pm and the traffic was fairly bad, particularly foot traffic, and we sat trying to get in while pedestrians continually - and literally - rushed to get in front of our car. Door and bellman just sat and watched - would be good if they actually monitored traffic for a bit. The parking also is very expensive. Self-park would be the first order of rule, and second is consider that from 6pm to 6am the parkade is only $8, compared with 36 for selfpark with the hotel and 48 for valet.

If I had an option for dropping the RAC off (there was no rental desk at the hotel) it would've been great as the sky-train to the airport is right there.

Room Tip: Be an elevated member of their passport program, or take advantage of their upgrade emails you'l...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kingofsp8s
BrandiLasanen, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear kingofsp8s

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed the guestroom and that it was up to your standards of cleanliness. Congratulations on achieving Platinum Status in the Gold Passport program, and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

My significant other and I just returned from a trip to Vancouver, where we stayed at the Hyatt for 4 nights. The location is excellent, we took the train all the way from the airport and only had to walk three blocks with our luggage in order to get to the hotel. We rarely took cabs during our stay as we could walk to most of our destinations (and when we did take a cab it wasn't very expensive).

There was a large gingerbread display in the lobby which was nice and got us in the Christmas spirit, and also a Starbucks (very convenient). This also meant the lobby was usually quite busy (not an issue for us but it may be for others). There is also a 24-7 McDonalds and a Tim Hortons near by for late night snacks. We didn't try any of the food at the hotel but from what I saw on the room service menu it was a bit on the pricey side - but perhaps it's delicious and worth the cost!

The rooms were clean and modern. The bed was very plush and comfortable. We had everything we needed (abundant towels, coffee, tea, a mini-fridge, etc.) - except complimentary water bottles would have been a nice add-on.

As with most of the other reviewers, I'd have to say one of the biggest drawbacks of this hotel was the daily charge for internet use. It was cheaper for us to use the data plans on our cell phones.

We also had some issues with how sound-proof the hotel was. We could hear our neighbour's tvs (on both sides) whenever they were on - even if it wasn't very loud. There was contruction going on (I think above us?) for a few hours one morning - we woke up to what sounded like drilling. The street traffic was also a bit loud - we were east facing on the 12th floor. But I was most surprised when on our last night we were able to hear a guest in a room nearby snoring! I definitly expected thicker walls then that... my boyfriend said wearing earplugs is a quick fix for this problem but I don't feel that guests should have to wear them all the time.

I'm not sure if we would stay here again. I think it might be worth checking out some other hotels in a similar price range to see if any offer free internet and have thicker walls. But other then that we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emilialis
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and the concierges' recommendations were spot on! The Italian Kitchen had amazing food and was just down the street. The rooms were modern and well appointed. The room service was surprisingly quick and full service! The food was spectacular and Vancouver is such a romantic and beautiful city. This hotel added many positives to our weekend getaway!

Room Tip: ask for the highest floor available...great views!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear frankie644

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us for your weekend getaway! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Vancouver.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Overall I had a great experience here during a two day conference. When I arrived I was offered my reserved room or a lesser living room section of a suite with a hide a bed rather than a bed. If I took such a room they would try to make it up to me. I took the room, which was beautiful and spacious, and was comped a bottle of wine and a movie rental. The next night I was moved to an equally beautiful King room. I found all the staff helpful and polite. The food at the conference was delicious and plentiful.
We ate at the Mosaic one night. Again service was extremely friendly. I found the food somewhat pricey; beautiful presentation but not huge amounts.
In all I can easily recommend this hotel

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
BrandiLasanen, Executive Office at Hyatt Regency Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2011

Dear AndieSquamish_BC

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your conference and that service from our staff was friendly. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.