“Good value in a nice area”

Sunset Inn and Suites
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Location is one block off of busy Davie Street with its coffee shops and stores, but on a nice quiet street. Property is well maintained and staff is friendly enough. The room I had faced an alley behind the restaurants on Davie Street with a little balcony but beyond the alley was beautiful downtown Vancouver. Some of the rooms have private bedrooms and sitting areas but I saved about $20 a night and my room was fine. The fridge was full size and the kitchen well stocked with bowls, cups, corkscrew, wine glasses, etc. Continental breakfast is sub-standard and must be carried back to your room to eat cereal or toast an english muffin. The coffee was good! Very few channels on the television for some odd reason. The maids were very nice and efficient. For the price I would recommend this hotel, especially if you like the convenience of having a little kitchen area which I needed as I stayed a week.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LikeARollingStone53
Write a ReviewReviews (2,332)

Reviewed 29 April 2012

We were recommended this hotel from my surgeon, I was flying in from out of town to have day surgery here, they were fanatastic. David I believe his name was at the front desk and he was absolutly sooo very helpful. When I called to book, I mentioned the surgery so he was extra helpful and put our room facing the back of the hotel, it was very quite and the price was half what a normal downtown hotel. The room was great, free parking for our car, free internet as well as a free breaky of fruit,cereals and toast with juice. David set us up with a free dvd player and they offered free dvds to people who stayed there so my husband was grateful when all I wanted to do was sleep. Since Vancouver is a little rainy they also offer free umbrellas for us to use, they really think of everything, very impressed and would definalty stay here again! Rooms were nice full kitchen, bathroom and king size bed, kitchen was nice to have the fridge and microwave we didnt use the stove but definatly could of.

Room Tip: We stayed in the king suite, it was perfect!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank leelee6789
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here with my teenage daughter to check out UBC since she is admitted there. It turns out to be a great location for that since the UBC direct bus 44 leaves one block away and gets you there in 20 minutes. The suites are all the same with reasonable size bedroom setup as king or two twins, small bathroom with tub, good sized living and dining areas enough for 4 comfortably, a small outdoor terrace which I suppose wold be convenient for smokers, and small but complete kitchen with full size oven/stove, micro, fridge, toaster etc. Our room in the back has a view of ugliness (dirty alleyway) so we never sat on the terrace. Other rooms I suspect would have a nice view, perhaps even to the water only 3 blocks west. Breakfast is rather lame with bagels, fake crossoints, 2 cereals, fruit, coffee, juice. However, it's adequate to get going. Location is on block off Davie and a 15-20 minute walk to really anywhere of interest in the city.
We walked from teh Yaletown skytrain stop with luggage about 15 minutes, some uphill. There is a bus option on that route too. Ferry to Granville island is 3 short blocks down the hill to the appendage from Stanley Park. It was great. Furnishings are a bit tired (upholstery worn). Floors are Pergo laminate rather than carpet - love it. Why more hotels don't use laminate, I will never understand... great staff, helpful, courteous.

Room Tip: ask to not be in the back of the building. The garbage trucks are back there and there is no view of...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank VermontJester
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Stayed four nights here. Overall a good choice and handy to transport (bus). A short taxi ride from nearest Skytrain station. Large selection of restaurants in the vicinity. Great if you are keen to be near the gay part of Vancouver - Davie Street. Good staff - friendly and helpful. Rooms well appointed although the bedroom is a little small with a king sized bed in it. On a quiet street. Only two small reservations: the breakfast is very basic (cereals, croissants) and needs to be taken back to your own room; and the choice of TV channels available was frustrating - several channels we had watched as we travelled across Canada were not available here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nzbear
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I doubt I should be willing to praise the Sunset Inn as highly as I'm about to, lest it has the effect of making it even busier than it has been, thereby reducing my chances of finding future accommodation there, while simultaneously raising the price of it.

My wife and I have stayed there for many years now, as long-stay guests and hope to be able to do this for many years in future. Having travelled my entire life to earn a living "on the road", it is easy to recognize the best, when it is the caliber of the Sunset Inn, with its exceptionally obliging, helpful and congenial staff- from top Management, to Housekeeping, to the Night Man.

While Sunset's amenities omit pools or full-fledged spas, everything else imaginable (totally equipped full sized kitchens, great TV's, programming, free DVDs and players, free high speed wireless and wired Internet in every suite, Continental Breakfast, daily newspaper, etc.) is included in its rates. The unusually large suites are all upgraded, modern and clean.

The location, right beside the The Davie Street Village, is second to none, One can walk anywhere to the attractions of Vancouver, whether it be Downtown, the waterfront, shopping, Stanley Park, Canada Place, Gas Town, Granville Island. the Casino, or the Sports Arenas. For those who don't care to walk, the city's superior public transit is only seconds away, out the front door. For those with a car, the hotel even includes free, secure parking!

So, although I've likely shot myself in the foot, keep up the fantastic work Sunset, but please don't do it so well that there will be no room in the inn when we want one. We plan to be there as long and often as possible. Thanks for the great stay(s)!

Fred & Diane Steward, North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: The only tip I can offer is that it would be a mistake to go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fredifred
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the south west end for one night and then returned later in the week and stayed in a one bedroom on the south east end. The rooms were very homey and the kitchen well equipped for cooking your own meals. The continental breakfast included is a nice extra and free parking too.
The staff are really great here. The GM was so good helping us with a booking for our Whistler trip and recommending restaurants. He is a real gem as are the rest of the staff.
This is totally our go to inn when we're in Vancouver next.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cathy a
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here with two other colleagues for a conference at the convention center which was a little walk from the hotel, but doable. There was parking on site which was convenient. We had a one bedroom suite, with kitchen. The kitchen was a nice bonus. There was a modest breakfast each morning downstairs of coffee, cereal, fruit, and bakery. There was a small fitness room. The staff were welcoming. The location felt safe and there were many restaurants/shops within walking distance. My only criticism of the hotel was that the windows were not double pained so we head some noise from outside. There was also some noise from the hallway area outside of our room. Other than that, the place was great and I would recommend it. The jellybeans in the lobby were a nice treat!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business