“Lovely place full of turn of the Century Charm”
Review of Sylvia Hotel

Sylvia Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, Washington
“Lovely place full of turn of the Century Charm”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This hotel was built before WWI and has the perfect location overlooking English Bay. In a city that is hyper modern, it is so great to have this landmark piece of architecture survive. The dining room and bar have the perfect view over English Bay and the ships at anchor in its Roads.

The Edwardian Charm still there. I loved this Hotel and even though less grand than the Big Hotel's of Vancouver, it is definitely the most charming and very reasonably priced. I will go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pcorsano
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
I agree with you, I have always liked the hotels with character and charm; next year will be the Sylvia Hotels 100th year in operation. The first hotel on English Bay with the views from the lounge at night which are the best in the city in my opinion. We hope to keep the rates reasonable and offer the best service possible. So we will look forward to your return visit to Vancouver and thank-you for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2012

It is perfectly located by the park and right on the beach. The view is stunning and it is close to downtown by not downtown... so perfect. From the front door to the water is literally 50 yards.

But the place is a ... dump. Terribly unkind but true. The staff are nice and breakfast fine. The rooms are roomy. But everything needs updating. From the doors, to the ceiling to the walls. I think it is mostly clean but it is so old and cracked and ill-fitted that you you never really feel that it is clean. In a perfect world someone would turn it into the ultra trendy hotel with a 80 million dollar reno.

I wish I liked it more.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank parrot101
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Location, location, location, and the beach are 50 yards away, and Stanley Park 3 blocks away. We value your opinion and we do recognize that we are an older hotel with charm is not like the trendy 80 million dollar hotels, however, the Sylvia Hotel is still here offering great service since 1912. The hotel is extremely clean and has passed every inspection with very high ratings. I also would add that I am sure that the price you would pay for the more trendy hotels is much more than what you paid for your last stay with us and the value you received was more than expected.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Generally I would stay at the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver but due to a sold out night I was required to make alternative arrangements and until I stumbled upon the Sylvia I was at about 549/night that was available. I did know about the Sylvia but thought it was a boutique compared to a Heritage Hotel and expected it to be quite pricey. To my surprise it was very reasonable below 125/night in downtown Vancouver or more specifically right at English Bay just off Denman. Beautiful location with stunning views from the pub/restaurant. I didn't have a bayside room but the corner room I did stay in was very large with a small private bedroom and 2 queen beds in main room, it was rustic (not sure about the safety of the doorlock system)but very well kept. Really good live music Thursday nights, I think it is a must try.

Room Tip: The higher the better and I supect the corner rooms are the largest on all floors. Stay away from th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tod A
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
I was happy to hear that you were not able to get into the Sutton Place Hotel as there loss is the Sylvia's gain, we may not have been able to introduce our hotel if they were not sold out. I often hear that we offer great value for the location and service offered our guests. To address you comments about the key system, we are happy to say that we have been using the same key system since 1912 with out any issues. I will pass along your comments to housekeeping about the cleanliness of your room, they like to hear comments like that, thank-you. We will look forward to serving you on your next visit to Vancouver, (even if the Sutton Place is not sold out) as I believe you will be back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Hotel dates back to an apartment block of the early 1900s and has an old-fashioned feel, but not in a bad way. Our room, facing towards the sea, was decidedly chilly on arrival as the windows had been left open to air out the room, but the room was very spacious with good facilities. Details such as light fixtures need attention as the hotel's refurbishment continues, but the hotel is a good choice for a short, economical stay in Vancouver -- close to downtown, and at the beginning of a glorious walk (on a fine day) around Stanley Park. Good breakfast in attached restaurant, but real maple syrup a necessity -- not available, but should be, even if at a slight additional cost!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NPassant
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
I am sorry to hear that your room was chilly when you arrived; my guess is that the maid was airing out the room and did not close the window; I will forward your comments to the housekeeping department as a reminder. I agree with you about our great breakfasts, they are served quickly and hot, I will forward your comments about the syrup to the Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. Thank-you for the recommendation.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I last stayed at the Sylvia prior to May 2011 about 46 years ago with my parents. That time My cousin and myself playing in the elavator caused it to shut down and we had to be helped out of elevator by the poor staff. My parents were so embarrased.However coming back as a almost senior citizen I enjoyed the hotel and staff immencely.It was the highlight of our trip. The location can not be beat. The view from the restaurant looks like you are in Nice. A wonderful stay. Hope to be there in April 2012. Thanks Peter Mautner

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter M
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
I wanted to inform you that we have forgiven you for the elevator problem you caused 46 years ago, no need to stay away for so long. The fact that you said that the Sylvia stay was the "HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR TRIP" was great to read. We are looking forward to your next trip in April; we will welcome you back with open arms. Drop by the desk and ask for me if you have some time. Thank-you
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed at the Sylvia Hotel for a 4 night get-away with friends. We had a suite with access to an adjoining bedroom and bathroom, which was absolutely perfect for 2 couples. The view of English Bay and location can't be beat. We enjoyed the many restaurants in the area and access to the sea wall and walking the beach. It has the feel of a more residential neighbourhood than being downtown in a big city, yet is close to everything you could want. The restaurant is quaint and affordable with amazing views of the ocean. Loved it and will definitely be back. Staff were very accommodating and friendly. It is not a modern hotel and if you look closely you can see signs of its age. The elevator is small and slow, but the history and mood of the hotel far outweighs these small inconveniences. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway for couples and friends.

Room Tip: Definitely try for a room with a view of English Bay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank thetravelbug49
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
The rooms to stayed in are great for couples and larger families, those types are limited and for extended stays need to be booked well in advance to make sure that they are available, Like other have said on this site the location is perfect (the best in Vancouver in my opinion. The views from the restaurant at night are amazing all year long. Watching the sunsets in the lounge is a favorite pass time of the locals. Thank-you for highly recommending the Sylvia Hotel.
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The Sylvia Hotel dates back to at least 1913 and not allot of changes have taken place to destroy the original charm of this hotel. It is situated on the corner of Gilford and Beach and right across the street from English Bay. If you are looking for ultra modern do not go to the Sylvia but if you want the experience of feeling like you have stepped back into the past, a quieter and little more classic time, then head for the Sylvia. We have stayed here a number of times and while we enjoy it every time...we always ask for beach view. our favorite stay was one night of the Symphony of Fire. This is an international competition of fireworks display over English Bay and with a beach front view one can enjoy the show from your room! The lobby and staff are all cheerful and helpful. I love this place! And so does my husband.

Room Tip: BE sure to take advantage of the views of English bay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Honeymoonjunkie
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank-you for your comments about the Sylvia Hotel, I could not have said it better myself. The word classic is often used to describe us. I enjoyed your comment that "my husband likes the hotel too". I hope that he is not hard to please. Please come back and see us again.